First Canadian Shave lather issue

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by geogil, Mar 26, 2019.

1. geogil

geogil Member

Hi all,
    Awhile back I bought a tub of Loretto Lime & Rosemary soap. I have probably used it 6-10 time without issue. I bowl lather and each time, regardless of brush hair type I was able to brew up a nice lather. However there were always small granules present the the soap, not scratchy or a problem in anyway. I guessed it was undissolved fats or?

I tried to use the soap yesterday and could not create lather in the bowl, literally. I couldn't even make a proto- lather, not even a paste developed. So I tossed, cleaned up and tried again. Still not much luck but I eventually developed a cream soup mess, by adding a ton of water. Toss again and give up. Lathered a different soap no problem.

I have been trying to figure out a soap to water ratio, with all the soaps that I use, and have been using about 2 grams of soap and adding water slowly to get the consistency I want; so that's consistent.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to why the lather failed?

Frijolero, RyX and Primotenore like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    The dreaded "granules". I have had this issue with three different soaps (actually creams). They will not dissolve.

Frijolero, brit, geogil and 1 other person like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

had first canadian taper fade, barbershop, had granules, off it went..

Frijolero likes this.
  4. geogil

geogil Member

Yeah, I was wondering if anyone else had this issue. The soaps seem to have good reviews, but my experience is less than stellar.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

too many others to try. didn't bother with another,wanted to love it..scent was nice..

Frijolero and geogil like this.
  6. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

That was not my experience. But then, I bowl lather. I have a couple like that, and the granules don't survive the lathering.

My wild guess at what's going on? Most soaps are made with some combination of potassium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide. The former produces a liquid, and the latter produces hard soap. I suspect that the granules are bits of NaOH soap left by insufficient blending, or that somehow settle out.

Or I could just be full of crap.

geogil likes this.
  7. geogil

geogil Member

Interesting theory, and I am guessing, quite possible. Not that I know anything about soap making :)

Frijolero likes this.
  8. Lee Russell

Lee Russell Member

I never experienced dryness, even though I set soap aside of while and then pick it up it works well! did you check the expires?

9. geogil

geogil Member

Hello Lee,
    Unfortunately, there is no date stamp or symbol on the tub. I purchased this soap and another, Vetiver, at the same time, Nov. 2018. Haven’t tried the Vetiver, but did notice that the puck had shrunk considerably, more than .25”. Maybe it was an off day for that soap maker. Both soaps have the same grainy appearance and are very sticky.
    I like the scent of both but beginning to think I should just toss them.

brit and Frijolero like this.