The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD March 23, 2019

Prep: Cold water and Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap
    Blade: Personna lab blue
    Razor: Gillette Fatboy
    Brush: Zenith B02 boar
    Soap: Stirling British Leather

Great shave earlier today with British Leather soap and splash. Strong, manly scent. I think the splash has an element of sweetness that I don't pick up in the soap, perhaps caramel or vanilla. My nose has a limited vocabulary. Wonderful shave in the end.

SOTD 3-23-19.jpg

2. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

For tomorrow being Menthol Monday let’s see.........why not Glacial Lemon Chill? The soap and matching balm!

ezlovan, ob1page, Gnomeo0228 and 5 others like this.
  3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Fine 1st shave with the little Japanese Sculpt razor won in the TSD raffle.

Chose the little Simpson, but used a big bowl to honor the 'Dry Soap Gang' by whipping up the wet puffy perfection of the springtime Bergamot Lavender.

Found the razor to be shave ready as described by the most generous doner @Briscoe described. I find the lightweight of a small 4/8 to require a but more attention to make sure you are on angle. The low weightalso needs a more deliberate and touch sensitive stroke in use. Easier to strop. Shaved as well as any of my other straights. I probably get on a low grit pasted balsa strop to smooth it out a little more.

Alum was at the correct level. Finished with a little smear of Trumpers Lime Skin Food. Then the Mentholated Bergamot Lavender AS (coulda went Glacial on this one).

Great shave. Be well!

[​IMG]

4. Gnomeo0228

Gnomeo0228 Well-Known Member

Very good point!

5. Yehuda D

Would you guys believe my face is still tingling from this morning’s shave? The Glacial Lemon Chill soap, balm, and Arctique did a hell of a number on me! Lol

6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTD March 25th
    [​IMG]

Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    EDRIO #40 Gillette New SC
    Gillette Spoiler (4)
    WWB Talleyrand (26mm, Frigate Class)
    Stirling One soap and AS

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

:shocked029: 7,806 more messages... after I read the first page of this thread. Not sure I'll do the history of all 392 pages.

I've enjoyed samples of Stirling soaps that have come my way. Just placed my first order last night. A tub of Glastonbury and a bottle of matching AS are on the way to my den. I knew it was Seasonal, but when I read it may be discontinued after this batch I couldn't let it pass.

GatorJoe, brit, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  8. ezlovan

ezlovan Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor

It will eventually return. It's just going to take a year off (maybe two). It didn't sell well at all last year, and with it being so expensive to make, I figured it was time to shelve it for awhile. Hopefully by 2020 the Vetiver crops will have recovered a bit and it will be less expensive to make.

9. ezlovan

ezlovan Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks for the order, Paul! I just saw it beep in on my phone. :)

10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

And now, here they are.....THE DETAILS(I know, I know.....I'm no Ed Sullivan)

Sample set includes

-Agar
    -Stoylin Noir
    -Deep Blue Sea
    -Scots Pine**

**I THINK that was the 4th, anyway.

ezlovan, Yehuda D, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  11. Paul Turner

I got a little confused when it appeared I was making a new account. I should have just logged in the current account. You and Mandy sent the note thanking me for making my FIRST order, while of course I've made a few others. But anyway, glad the order is in. #4 was Scots Pine, right?

12. Gnomeo0228

Gnomeo0228 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update! I'm bummed it didn't sell well. It's a fabulous scent, and who can argue with mutton tallow :)

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

I suspect that's the driving factor for the great lather. The other stuff like castor oil, vegetable glycerin, almond oil, shea butter, & lanolin sure can't hurt. Have to admit I was intrigued when I heard Hippies and patchouli. Then I compared the scent to all my other Stirling samples and was hooked. I briefly considered just buying the refill puck, but there's more soap in the well built tubs. Much of my software it mismatched, close matches, or soap that doesn't go with any AS. So I splurged and got the Stirling AS, too. ;)

ezlovan, brit, GatorJoe and 7 others like this.
  14. Paul Turner

I have to get into my "driving factor" in a while to go to the dentist. (OOOH THAT WAS SO BAD)

ezlovan, ob1page, Gnomeo0228 and 4 others like this.
  15. GADback

GADback Well-Known Member

I’d like to try a glacial when they come out this year. What are the favorites? Can the underlying scent be made out or are they just menthol scent? I’ve never tried MITA, but don’t care for the scent of tequila so I don’t think that’s the one for me to buy.

16. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

For some scents menthol is not necessarily an enhancement. I love Glacial menthol in citrus. For me, Glacial Black Cherry reminds me of a cough drop. I have a couple cologne type scents that you notice it at first, but the menthol depletes fast.

ezlovan, brit, Linuxguile and 5 others like this.
  17. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I agree, menthol and citrus play very well together. Stirling soaps generally tend to not be stingy with the scent. Others may be more prone to being crowded out by the menthol.

ezlovan, Linuxguile, Yehuda D and 4 others like this.
  18. Yehuda D

Last summer I missed out on the Glacial Lemony Orange soap and I hope it comes back this year so I could grab a couple.

Gnomeo0228, ezlovan, ob1page and 6 others like this.
  19. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I don't really get any tequila scent in MITA. Still though, I'm not a fan of MITA.

ezlovan, ob1page, john zeiger and 2 others like this.
  20. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Lemon Chill baby!

ezlovan, ob1page, john zeiger and 3 others like this.