Clubman

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Robert1955, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Oh, I don't think you can compare the "Reserve" aftershaves to the regulars. (Course Special Reserve shares the "reserve" name).

RyX and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

love the special reserve.a keeper , while i have enough clubman for a lifetime this will need a restock..

Paul Turner and RyX like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

I agree with you on that point Paul. This new Clubman Reserve line is not in the same bracket as the established old line. If I was recommending products solely on their strength and longevity Clubman and Special Reserve get my top marks for classic barbershop & manly leather. Before suggesting the Clubman Reserves trio my second choices might be Canoe and English Leather.

4. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

the special reserve has AS cologne on label vs. After shave only....

to me means more intense scents.... less fillers. the special reserve as cologne is not more costly than after shave versions of fragrances as it often is

i'm learning the scents... its the oakmoss, and vetiver that helps produce the "leathery-ness"

is there much difference with canoe edt, and cologne and how does it differ from canoe for women?

RyX and brit like this.
  5. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

No glycerine. Just alcohol, water, fragrance, and dye.

All of the big words that those guys are calling "goodies" are just fragrance components. My guess is that the formula has not changed, only the label. Gotta list the individual fragrance components to keep EU busybodies happy.

I'm not suggesting that anyone is crazy here wrt face feel. Some of the fragrance components are almost certainly oils. Maybe the face feel is a side effect of that?

RyX and brit like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    But just think how great your scalp will smell, Keith. :)

otherstar, brit, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Gotta go for the SR with today's Williams...

brit, Paul Turner and RyX like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

My go to source for scent information is basenotes.net. Can't say I've sniffed Canoe for the ladies. It may be the same product because it was originally marketed to women. Canoe is said to smell very much like Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi Firenze. That's a $100+ per bottle of fancy unisex barbershop powdery scent.

I will admit to being a lady sniffer. There was a check out lady at Walmart that wore patchouli EO. I recognized the scent and politely inquired, she allowed me to approach and sniff closer. Haven't seen her in a while though I keep my eyes open.

brit, Frijolero and Paul Turner like this.
  9. Paul Turner

The lady who sniffed my Clubman Original didn't inquire. She just dove right in(in an olfactory kind of way). And I need to get more experience with Basenotes....good source indeed.

brit, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

getting ones clubman sniffed is a good thing sir..:)

11. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I recently ordered some Clubman Bay Rum and Lime Sec. I currently have and enjoy Clubman Pinaud, Special Reserve and Musk. All of which is awesome stuff all around.

RyX, Paul Turner and brit like this.
  12. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

40F40A77-D3B9-4AA9-9990-FCB82C47CBFB.jpeg Lime Sec just came home to me a few minutes ago. This may be used for Clubman Friday.

MntnMan62, Enrico, brit and 2 others like this.
  13. Paul Turner

I think the Musk would be my next of the 6 oz. ones....unless I decide to wait til next summer and try Lime Sec or Citrus Burst). I still have some of the Original and the Special Reserve left. I'm almost 62, thus I believe I can say in honesty(and good arithmetic!)that I've used and loved Clubman for almost 2 generations(a generation is 25 years, right?)

brit and Angelo85 like this.
  14. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Got a haircut at the usual place today but this time from a new, older barber. The usual buzz cut fade - 3-1/2 on top, 2 on sides and back, 1.5 around the ears and basically tapered down low. Straight edge razor (not shavette) on the back hair line. Then to my wonderful surprise a healthy dose of Pinuad Clubman all over, including my head. My kind of barber.

15. Paul Turner

Wanna know how devoted I am to Clubman? As I began my shower this morning, I realized something was wrong. I knew I was going to use Clubman aftershave later, but I'dd forgotten to put the Country Club shampoo into the shower, so I walked out, soaking wet-and reached into my "lower den" to get the shampoo. Proceeded back into the shower, and all was good.

brit and Edison Carter like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

country club shampoo is great stuff..

Paul Turner likes this.
  17. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

I have had no need for shampoo or any other hair enhancing creams and tonics...think of the money I have saved

mrbaho and otherstar like this.
  18. Paul Turner

I'll be trying an "interesting"Clubman combination before long. Course you're looking at the Mad Shaving Scientist.

brit and MntnMan62 like this.
  19. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Following...

Paul Turner likes this.
  20. Paul Turner

Well, it was "interesting" all right, but while there was a drop in the temperature it was still to warm for Clubman Original stuff. Gents Gin has been good tbis summer, though.

RyX and brit like this.