Son of a _______

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Missing Lynx, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Missing Lynx

Missing Lynx Well-Known Member

Hello all. (nervous foot shuffling)

I have never introduced myself on here even though I have been posting on here for a while. My name is Jim, and I am the son of a Jim who was a pretty longtime member here who went by the name of Misphit. Dad passed away earlier this year from complications from a car accident he had the previous year. I started coming here with him so he could keep up with the boards and people. After his death I waited a while before creating my own login because suddenly I found myself with drawers, shelves, and cubbyholes stuffed with razors (cased and loose), new and old blades, shaving mugs, and all sorts of shaving paraphernalia that I have little to no knowledge of. I have been trying to sort, identify, photograph and put some semblance of order into his.... acquisitions. I use that term because it is to big for a collection and is borderline on obsession. I reported elsewhere that my mom had passed recently too, and by using some inheritance money I have purchased some of the top end razors that he had on his wish list. Pretty soon I will be asking questions.. lots of them and you will be getting tired of me asking them because I know very little of the history of shaving. I have inquired about advertisement years so I can try and figure out when things were made/sold. I use mr-razor for Gillettes, a Schick injector page I found, and his digital copy of the waits compendium to try and make more sense of it all. Right now the plan is that I will be keeping and sorting all of his gear, but I may offer up some duplicates or triplicates that he had as time goes which will be determined at a later date. I thank you in advance for letting me become a pain in the @$$ with all the questions I will be asking and look forward to any resources you can provide when I get stuck. Fortunately my wife gets the easy clean out with my mothers possessions, which she has volunteered for, so I have more time to research and when I am not working.

My current shaving setup is a Muhle R41 solid guard bar razor, Rapira blades, TOBS - Mr Taylor Shaving cream, a 24 mm brush my dad gifted me (with a whipped dog boar knot), and an old nickle plated copper bowl from India or someplace overseas which were all given to me by dad.

2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Sorry to hear about your mom and dad. It sounds like you have a over whelming job to sort through everything. Hang in there and I know this group including myself can and will help out if called upon. Take care.

3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Hi Jim and welcome! First of all, condolences for your loss and thanks for all you did to help your dad. I have no doubt he left you with an incredible collection of razors and all that go with them. I would love for you to stop in over at the 30 Day thread. The link is in my signature. It's a busy place but you'll find answers to any and every question you might have. If one of us doesn't know the answer we probably know the guy that knows the answer. Your dad was actually one of the original members of our little group back in 2015 as well. I look forward to getting to know you!

4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

My condolences on your loss, Jim. Must be a tough your. Glad you are here on the forums.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, Missing Lynx, brit and 3 others like this.
  5. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

It's sad to hear of the passing of one of our members, but a true pleasure to meet you. You must be reeling now with the passing of both your parents; you've come to a good, safe place for support.

Folks here never get tired of questions about their passion, so no need to fret about that. As time passes, you'll become the one answering questions. That's the way it works here.

Anyway, welcome.

6. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Welcome
    Condolences for your loss
    Reach out any time shaving related or otherwise. the “den” and I, would be glad to help.
    Your current shave set up is on point, I’ve recently been lusting for a Muhle lately. enjoy your shaves.

7. Missing Lynx

I will say the Muhle is a nice razor but then again, I havent really used any others.

Methinks at some point I will be doing roughly 400+ 30 day shaves or die of old age first.

AGHisBBS, Keithmax, Frijolero and 6 others like this.
  8. Missing Lynx

To all others, thanks for your condolences.

9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome, Jim. Sorry to hear about your parents. I am glad you are here.

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

A bundle of wisdom in @DesertTime 's statement. There are a few Members that never stopped Wet Shaving. The rest of us stepped into it as a solution to the current state of shaving products available from our local stores. Discovering vintage and modern non-cartridge razors is described as "The Rabbet Hole" as in Alice in Wonderland. Ask questions freely. Post photos and ask question. Start new threads and post photos and ask questions! If you'd like you can keep going back to just one thread and add new queries so all the info stays in one conversation.
    I recall having conversation with your father here at TSD. He was a Member in good standing. For you to show interest in in his passion and hobby carries on his legacy. If the collective WE of TSD can be of assistance, just ask. Neal @NCoxSTL offered the invitation to The 30 Day Crew. There's a good chance someone there owns, shaves with, or knows about most anything in your acquired gear. The 30 Day Rule / Focus thread is an unhijackable discussion foremost about helping folks get their best shaves. After that we mix in family, work, philosophy, and shenanigans. You are Legacy, and are most welcome.

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@Missing Lynx I add my welcome along with my condolences for your losses.

AGHisBBS, Missing Lynx, brit and 4 others like this.
  13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Jim, I'm sorry to hear about your Mom and Dad. I'm also glad you're here. I hope it brings you some joy and helps remind you of your Dad.

Here's another invitation to join the 30 Day Thread. It's a great place to learn and have fun. I dropped in on the group for 30 days a few years ago, decided they all needed serious help, and stuck around. Aside from a couple of wing nuts, most of the boys have done well on parole.

I look forward to getting to know you.

AGHisBBS, Missing Lynx, brit and 5 others like this.
  14. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Hey.............I resemble those remarks!

AGHisBBS, Missing Lynx, brit and 5 others like this.
  15. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Welcome Jim and my heartfelt condolences.

16. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Welcome Jim! We’re here for ya.

17. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Welcome, Jim. Sorry to hear about your losses.
    We do have members here who have their father's razor. With no s. Having his collection is something different altogether. Pretty awesome.

18. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Your dad had some awesome hauls.
    Many times did I convince myself that I scored a great deal on some vintage item and then your dad would post what he had reeled in...
    You have inherited one fine collection.
    Glad you decided to stick around and join the fun.

Frijolero, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  19. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Muhle R41 For Life!

20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, I am sorry to hear about your parents. Glad you decided to join and participate in out community.