Unscrupulous Ebay Sellers/Buyers

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Feb 16, 2019.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

One thing I’ve learned after years of eBay razor purchases: UNLESS there are clear, in-focus images of the item being sold.....images that show all sides and angles (particularly of the blade face/edge), I pass on the auction. Far too many novice or unscrupulous sellers attempting to pass off damaged items as something they are not.
    Descriptions of items that are far too brief (“Razor is good.”) are another caveat.
    Sure, the thrill of getting that great eBay razor deal is appealing but it can come at the cost of having to battle with eBay, PayPal and dishonest sellers.

Billyfergie, Keithmax, RyX and 4 others like this.
  2. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

If the photos are incomplete or poor, I move on. I think my success had to do with the amount of time I spend studying the auctions. Also, I am not after wide blade stuff. I prefer 5
    Yes!!

I tend to look at estate seller's offerings. I can spot a flipper or razor dealer a mile away.

Keithmax, Paul76, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Well, update on the latest. The seller finally replied, after eBay send me the return postage slip. The seller said he refunded my money, and to keep the razor. I checked, and he finally refunded the money.
    I told him I would be happy to mail it back, after all it can be re-sold, and he can recoup some money. after all, I am not interested in getting something, for nothing.

Keithmax, RyX, Paul76 and 8 others like this.
  4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

You are a good guy and have done all that anyone reasonable person would have done to do the right thing.

Keithmax, RyX, brit and 3 others like this.
  5. DaltonGang

Last update, on this seller. I again told him I wanted to mail it back to him, and he told me he didn't want it. So, my conscious has been satisfied.

Keithmax, Frijolero, RyX and 4 others like this.
  6. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Raffle donation? :sport026:

Billyfergie, Keithmax, brit and 3 others like this.
  7. Missing Lynx

Missing Lynx Well-Known Member

This is not unscrupulous, just confusing, why would there be a listing for plastic razor blades?

upload_2019-4-3_11-55-52.png

8. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I guess they are used for paint scrappers. :signs002:

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep, at least to get latex or glue off of hard smooth surfaces. They work.

Keithmax, Frijolero, brit and 3 others like this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Years ago GM made windshields (1980's) with an inner plastic coating. Guess they figured it would help keep glass off of people in case it got broke or in an accident. Those type of blades were used to remove stickers from the old windshields without damaging them to transfer to a new windshield. Not really that successful as we just removed the plastic from the old windshield, which had the stickers, and taped that to the new windshield.

Frijolero, RyX, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  11. Missing Lynx

Missing Lynx Well-Known Member

I got edu-ma-cated

brit, Keithmax, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

My mother has one of those newfangled electric stoves. A single sheet of glass for a top? The plastic blades work well to scrape off stuck on food without hazard to her fingers or scratches to the glass.

13. brit

brit in a box

they are used for scraping windows etc..softer surfaces that scratch easily..

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Coincidentally, I found one just yesterday, discarded on the sidewalk. A little dinged up but I can put the "edge" right (if you can even call it an edge). Might come in handy.

brit, Hembree and Frijolero like this.
  15. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I worked at a facility using SQF (Safe Quality Foods) certifications.

One principle component is control of potentially harmful contaminants.

We had some of those but found limited uses. Razor blades were strictly controlled. If you were authorized, you got a numerically controlled blade holder and 1 new blade. Replacement blades were issued only on an exchange basis. And the old blade could not be broken.

I don't view that as a scam, just someone marketing a safe alternative to steel. They are not meant to cut hair.

16. DaltonGang

I've just encountered another Dishonest Seller. This one was from France. The razor looked restorable, and started at a low bidding price. But it had a good sized chip in the blade. I asked the seller if he shipped to the USA, and if so, how much would the cost be, in a padded envelope. He said he would, but it would cost 12 Euros, which is 3-4 times what it should cost. I figured if I won the auction for a low price, no harm, no foul.
    Since the razor was damaged, it sold for 1 Euro. Yippie, so I thought. He told me that wasn't enough money, and said he wouldn't ship it, unless I paid him more. The amount was only 5 Eros more, not a big deal, but with the inflated shipping, it was more than it was worth, to me, especially because of the damage. I explained to him that we had a contract, through eBay, and if he wanted more fore the razor, he should have started the bid higher, or put a reserve on it. he said he still wanted more money. I called into question his honor, and he still demanded more money.
    Long story short, I said I wouldn't do business with dishonorable people like him, I left a negative feedback, then called eBay, to report him.
    I know some of you guys are sellers, but, the way I was brought up, a deal is a deal, unless there is dishonesty involved. I know I've been burned on sales before, but, usually that was my fault, I sucked it up, and took it like a man.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-cut-ra...Q8EIKUpTfI%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

A man should honor his contracts, thank you for letting us know.

18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

The shipping is about average for an envelope and 7-10 day shipping (it has to go through ISC and Customs) from Europe, so he isn’t out of line there.

He’s very much out of line with his refusal to honor the terms of the auction!

19. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

20. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I posted this elsewhere, but it bears consideration with ebay and their sellers:
    There are is "Ronin" eBay seller that offered a Buyer-Beware moment of the [last week]week:
    Me: Can you send me an image of the top side of the guard?
    "Ronin": Hi,what did you see on the razor?I can try to answer any questions,that you have. Thanks, **Username**
    Me: I am just trying to gauge the condition of the guard. The pics are great with the cap and barrel, even the underneath of the guard.
    Ronin: The guard is good,I think it is very good but maybe other people think so. Thanks, **Username**
    Me: No further images?
    Ronin: Nope.
    Me: Thanks.

I've noticed this particular seller does piece items together, offers images that are not very revealing, and has on more than one occasion, misrepresented what they are selling:
    "Sold a Franken Gillette claiming it was a real Gillette razor. NOT AS DESCRIBED"

As a participant on eBay, he had withdrawn 108 bids in the last 6 months, and 7 in the last 30-days. I knew better, but wanted to give the seller a try, as I had been interested in a few offering in the past. I guess I should have known better.
    Within 1 minute of my original posting on the other forum site, I received a message from the seller:
    "Nope"
    I did reply:
    ??
    You already said "nope".
    Thank you.

These sellers know what they are doing. I am also really disappointed in believing the timing of the follow-up message to a forum post was related to being engaged within the shaving community.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019