How to set a knot

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by BigMark83, Mar 29, 2019.

1. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I got the knot yesterday and the silicone and handle today. I dry set the knot at first to make sure it would be perfect. The knot is setting right now so I can use it on Saturday.

jimjo1031, RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  2. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I set this one yesterday and will give it a spin tomorrow or Saturday.
    E4DA2FB4-94AB-410D-A87E-9E3D674C629B.jpeg BCD5288E-4845-4E2F-94CF-890DF193BC68.jpeg 679FAA8A-A85A-4098-AFB1-795E9140F6B6.jpeg C45FE221-3CE7-46C6-806F-3781D10F1F1A.jpeg

It’s a horn ferrule and bone handle, my guess is that it was from the 1900-1910’s. The handle is threaded and the ferrule tapped. It’s small too. An 18mm would not fit, but the 16mm was a good match.
    If it doesn’t work as well as I’d like, because it is set with silicone, I can easily pull it out and go with plan “B”.

jimjo1031, RyX, PatrickA51 and 5 others like this.
  3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Looks good thanks for posting the photo's.

Rev579 likes this.
  4. BigMark83

I used it last night and love it. I have given the knot a few twists and tugs and the knot isn't going anywhere. Now I'm worried I may have slightly messed up the knot, lol.

brit and Rev579 like this.
  5. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Pictures? We must see them.

6. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I saw a video where the guy used a dremel to scuff up the bottom and sides of the knot before setting it. Is this common practice?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  7. BigMark83

I guess I can try to get a picture ... I didn't take one pre bloom.

8. BigMark83

I would use a small piece of sandpaper. The idea makes sense as epoxies/glues/etc adhere better to rough surfaces. I myself would just roughen up the bottom of the knot, for fear of ruining hairs if I slipped on the "sides".

brit and Moose like this.
  9. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I believe I’ve only re-knitted one modern brush, and most have enough roughness on the interior that there has not been a need to create added texture. There isn’t a need to rough up the glue on the knot either. This is part of the beauty of using silicone-it just holds on tight.

brit, Linuxguile and BigMark83 like this.
  10. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

I have 2 handles and 2 projects on my to do list. Reading this thread and many others leads me to two conclusions .Its easy to set a knot and its very difficult. Lol hence my further procrastination!

Linuxguile and brit like this.