Oldest wet shaving forums

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Alex7, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

This is the only shave forum I belong to. Great group here.

RyX, brit, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I couldn't have said that better yourself.

Hembree, RyX, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Waiting on the wife to get home I sat down and seen this thread.
    I don't have a facebook, twitter or anyother thing of SM. This is the first group I've joined.
    Did some one metion cookies???
    tp

Hembree, Frijolero, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

No, but we mentioned Curly Howard :).

Hembree, Frijolero, RyX and 2 others like this.
  5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

That name rings a bell.......

Iknowthatguy.jpg
    tp

Hembree, Frijolero, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Badger & Blade does not have the ability to ban you.

Hembree, brit and Frijolero like this.
  7. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Well they did. I am unable to sign in. When I try to sign in, I get a message that says: You have been banned for the following reason: multiple accounts. They can do whatever they want. It’s a private website. So, you were saying.

Tedolph, MikeyIdaho, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  8. Shaver X

Perhaps look at it as a swamp full of alligators. You can go there if you want, but do you really want to deal with a fetid swamp with a bunch of ill-tempered alligators? It is probably better to come here to the lake and go fishing instead. A lot more relaxing and pleasant.

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I still have a membership there, but I only dip my toe in in fear of loosing a leg. Hardly worth my time.

Hembree, brit, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  10. Shaver X

You could always go there and give them the golden shower. :D

Seriously, if the place is run that way, why would you even dip your toe in? It's like going into a bad neighborhood to buy shaving soap when you could just as easily buy it from a store in a good neighborhood. Besides, any forum that is heavily censored is not a reliable source of information.

11. Shaver X

Ok, to answer the OP, if that has not been done already, the two oldest wetshaving forums I know of are:

MSN Wetshavers group
    Straight Razor Place Yahoo group

Along with Corey Greenberg's Good Morning Weekend segment on wetshaving, they are the genesis of the current wetshaving revival.

MSN Groups was shut down long ago, and Straight Razor Place moved from Yahoo to an independent website with its own forum.

If you mean which wetshaving forums currently in existence are the oldest, that would be Sharp Razor Palace (the hijacked - by some accounts - and renamed Straight Razor Place web forum) and Shave My Face, now nearly a ghost town. Both were started around 2005, if I recall correctly. Badger & Blade was started shortly thereafter.

So there is your early forum history in a nutshell. Twenty years hence, it is a different world, a different wetshaving marketplace, and many, many new wetshaving products and vendors. Which forum is the oldest is, I think, not as important as which is the best. My vote is for here.

Tedolph, Alex7, PLANofMAN and 9 others like this.
  12. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

This man deserves not only a beer, but a toast :eatdrink047:.

13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well, there's still a few good people there.

Hembree, brit, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  14. Shaver X

Then just a wee bit for the mods, admins, and their henchmen / troll army. ;)

Yeah, I thought pretty highly of a lot of people there, too. It was the first wetshaving forum I joined. I was treated very well, but soon departed when I saw others being mistreated. Also, the incessant repetition of the word "gentlemanly" struck me as really strange.

BigMark83, Hembree, brit and 3 others like this.
  15. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

It's been about 10 months since my banishment and I've been able to find a home for myself in 5 new forums, including this fine forum. I really have no need to go back there. There are a couple guys who I enjoyed bantering with there who don't seem to be on any of the these new sites I've joined and do miss chatting with them but I have no desire to tempt the mods over there. It's not worth it. They don't deserve to have my membership. I'm not a big fan of alligator swamps, or swamps in general.

Tedolph, Frijolero, Shaver X and 3 others like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

i post shaves on dfs occasionally but live here, i have gone on others when researching various gillette razors and such.curious why shave my face is slowing down..

17. Shaver X

I like Damn Fine Shave, too. They are especially good in terms of artisan vendor presence and interaction. I also checked out The Shaving Cadre. Although small, it seems very vibrant and enthusiastic. There are also Against The Grain and The Shaving Room in the UK. The Shave Den has lots of information, very friendly members, mods and admin, and a really mellow vibe. That is why I usually come here, and also visit those other forums occasionally.

One thing I have noticed is that hobbies often have one or two associated large non-corporate owner-operated forums. These forums rely on volunteer mods and admins to keep them up and running. Being large means they become expensive to operate, and thus rely on paid merchant memberships and advertising to foot the bills. Of course, these sponsors will not take kindly to unfavorable product mentions or criticism, and the forum owner will not take kindly to promotion of non-paid vendors. The forum also tries to maximize revenues by keeping traffic from leaving the site, hence bans on links to other sites. The result is censorship. The combination of amateur management and censorship to drive the revenue stream is a bad business model. Abusive behavior, large scale and often capricious bannings, and general angst, conflict and resentment, and groups hiving off to form alternative forums are the results.

In all cases I have seen, these smaller, hived off forums are the places to go. They do not have the sprawling structure and high revenue requirements of the larger forums, and so do not censor to force the revenue stream. Being smaller, they are manageable by volunteer hobbyists, and generally calm, informative, friendly places.

Increasingly, the smaller forums are being acquired by media companies that own and operate forums on a for-profit basis. The forums cater to various interests, and are professionally managed and grown. This generally results in large, stable forums that are nice places, rather than huge conflict-generating messes.

TL;DR

Avoid very large, individually owned and operated forums and head straight for one of the smaller, more-laid back forums. Alternatively, try a forum run by a media corporation. You will be glad you did.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Frijolero, Enrico and brit like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

awesome and well said sir..i am grateful to all here at TSD who have helped me in many aspects including shaving. just reading ones posts in many areas has opened the eyes to different ways of doing things..i have a bit of an obsession with vintage gillettes and i am sure there are others who have the same bug but in different areas or products..i like posting pics here of my razors and stuff, not to be a show off, but because they are cool and deserve to be shown, not old news..all this and no sales pressure or price tag..i can and will give more back to this community as i can, laid back and humble is the best..not to get all soppy here but you guys rock..:happy088:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Frijolero, Shaver X and Enrico like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy096:

Shaver X and brit like this.
  20. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I refer to that company as Jillette since watching a video from their campaign condoning men being men.

Keithmax, RyX and brit like this.