Pathetically Rusty "Garantie", Solingen.

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by DaltonGang, Apr 6, 2019.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

"Garantie"
    Solingen

I saw this one, on the bay, and the description was horrible. "Heavy Rust", "Plating Peeling Off", etc. But, I did see some potential. Well, $16 later,and no other bids:)eek:), it was on the way to me. Oh what did I get myself into. When it arrived, I couldn't believe it, the Ebay photos looked better, than the razor did, in hand. As a matter of fact, my photos made it look better. Heavy heavy, deep rust. It looked like it had been used and stored with wet shaving soap still inside the scales, by looking at the patterns on the tang. Oh well, time to break out the tools.

Before:
    The etching and gold were even toast. No attempt was made to save it. Been there, done that, with razors that looked better. So, Sandpaper away.

P4050871.JPG

P4050872.JPG

After:

Since some areas were so deeply pitted, I decided not to polish, but to just finish it out with 2000 grit wet/dry, after a lengthy sandpaper progression.
    Oh, it looked as if, the razor had never been honed, and still has the factory bevel on it.

P4050885.JPG

P4050888.JPG

AGHisBBS, brit, RyX and 3 others like this.
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Nice score....turned out to be winner.

brit, DaltonGang and TestDepth like this.
  3. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Nice work Scott. That backside tang looked a mess... you really brought it back my friend!
    :happy088:

brit and DaltonGang like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Thanks guys. I wish it could have turned out better, but some of the pitting was beyond help. Very very deep.

TestDepth and brit like this.