Advice

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Robert1955, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

VIEW.jpg I hope I dont bore you because I think this will be a longish post.
    I got my first SR today ( photo below) , it was a ebay buy and had no declarations about the edge apart from "looking fine"...no expectations of shave ready, and I was ok with that.
    To me the edge felt sharp, but I put it on a linen strop then leather...I did not count the passes, I needed a shave and was eager to try it out, so done my usual prep and put the razor to my face...it dragged big time tho did cut some whiskers, of course I stopped at that as it was soooo uncomfortable and continued with my feather club DX...which went flawlessly. First big question is... Is it likely to just need more time on the strop and pasted linen or does it need a run on the stone, i know this sounds like "how long is a bit of string" type post but I am reluctent to hone it if not needed, Second big question...in this case, if it is strop related...how many passes would be required without going overboard and getting no result ? 100...more ?...please remember this is my first SR and have no knowledge of how it is meant to be...I can shave happily with my 3 shavettes...Dovo, Parker SRX and the Feather Club with no problem. My only stone is a 12k which I have used many many times for my knife collection, I lapped it yesterday in case I needed it today... So all I could do is put it on that if needed.
    Third big question... Can anyone throw any light as to the maker or the etching on the blade, I thought of Saudi or that general area as it reminds me of time spent there.
    Thanks for any/all replies.

Robert. View attachment 191338

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Keithmax, Billyfergie, brit and 2 others like this.
  2. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

unless it is a new blade they all see some stone/hone time
    q2? any amount of stropping will not fix a dull edge
    depends on razor, but chances are high a 12k wont fix your issues (lapping films are your friend)
    q3?never met a solingen edge i didn't like... etching may have been added later, could be Shriner symbol

Keithmax, Billyfergie and brit like this.
  3. Robert1955

Thanks for that, could you suggest what grade of film, and is the film progressive like 1k stone to 6k then 10k ?, I have zero knowledge of lapping film :-(

Keithmax, Billyfergie and Frijolero like this.
  4. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Another potential maker is ERN. Multiple brands and marks with the Scimitar being one.
    Here is a page from STRAZORS.com
    21DF8FCC-F590-48A0-A23E-4F265F10DEBF.jpeg
    But my gut is telling me something doesn’t look right compared to the ones I have seen... but I haven’t seen them all. :)

I wouldn’t be adverse to taking the razor to the 12k. I don’t think that grit could hurt, maybe not get exactly where you want, but truly shouldn’t mess up the edge.
    Tom

5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

My best advice is to send it out to be properly honed.
    Once a proper starting point is established, many questions will be answered.
    Learning to hone and learning to use a straight razor(regardless of shavette experience) are two different skills. Like learning to ride a motorcycle and build one simultaneously.
    I'm not trying to rain your parade, I'm really not. But the way is so much smoother if you could rely on one answer, Is This Sharp. From there one could then determine if one wanted to learn the second skill of making a razor sharp. I feel like it's a pain to send a new or new to you razor out to be honed, so I'd suggest you buy one( maybe a used one) from a trusted source.
    I've heard nothing but good from
    Gemstar Customs or
    Whipped Dog
    Either of these guys can get you going fast.

6. Robert1955

I am from UK...but I will most likely send it out locally...at least then I will know it is "right"
    Strange thing about shavettes.,I have read people saying that if you can shave with them you can shave with anything :)
    And that shavettes are less forgiving than a straight...I cannot comment on straights as not really used this one yet, but i'm sure the shavettes have helped me with angles etc as well as confidence, I would not have wanted to jump right in with a straight with no experience of a long razor sharp piece of metal.

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

You'll do fine. I think the shavette to be more dificult, at least less forgiving.
    You know about wills and ways, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

8. Robert1955

I dont give in easily :)

Leclec13 and Billyfergie like this.
  9. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I started using a straight less than a year ago. I bought 1 razor professionally honed. Then bought a 2nd to confirm my edge during basic training. I have since acquired a stone progression and done some honing. I've read you can maintain with a 12k and pasted strops, I use balsa. There is a great deal of info to be found on honing.

Got a 1/2 DE shavette not too far back. I took to it pretty quick. I think it requires a greater attention to use because it can get you with less warning.

My opinion, you will be fine with "a known edge"

10. Lee Russell

Lee Russell Member

I remember when I get my first Straight Razor Timor Straight Razor... I have many questions like you... my experience tells me don't freak out, there would be a little learning curve and everything become clear with the time... You can learn more about straight razor here: Straight Razors for Beginners (scroll all the way down to find the info)

Billyfergie and brit like this.
  11. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    If you are in the UK there are a few guys on here that know their way around a hone

@Jamie Mahoney is the first to0 come to mind

Starting with a known edge is the first rung of the ladder you need to climb with SR shaving

Jamie Mahoney, brit, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  12. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Yes it a progressive system. 12u, 9u, 5u, 3u, 1u. Is athe average micron range most will use. You will need a flat surface many will use granite or glass, I ended up buying a piece of acrylic. Usually system can be had for under $50 US. There are extensive discussions at other forums.

I still own some natural and synthetic stones/ hones. But lapping film will always be with me and is cost effective to get complete range of abrasives.

Search the net for “how to use pasted balsa strop” I’m now Easily And consitiently “tree topping”, and into HHT 4.

I had a frustrating start in the Straight razor world. It took me a while to learn to hone. And finally broke down and had a professional hone a razor. It was an enlightening experience. What I thought was sharp was no where near what a pro honed razor provided.

It was a high bar to reach for but my honing technique is near as sharp as local hone meister. No to mention my improving technique is giving me exponentially greater shaves than those first weeks.

Please learn to hone.

But I echo all the other advice. Get Yours professionally honed, or better buy another known sharp SR from reputable honemeister.

Curious if vintage Sheffield made razors or other UK made razors are more plentiful less expensive than here in USA?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    brit, Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  13. Robert1955

Thanks...I already have another shave ready delivered...i have nit used it yet but what I thought was shatp before is nothing this new obe...so I have a level that I can look for, also going to get the dull one pro honed locally...so thats a help too...thanks everyone for the replies.

brit, Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.