What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you sir!

Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Think I'll tune it muhself.

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I hesitate about giving advice since every person's beard is not the same. What might be shave ready for me might not be useful to you. That said, I use a $27 lapping film progression stopping at 3 micron sheet and either going to a Coticule or Thuringian to finish followed by an vintage Illinois linen/horse hide strop. I've found that an occasional touch up under dripping water, hand holding either stone, will result in a similar edge, although not the same with every razor.

Hope that helps. I am not a hone master, nor to I peddle razors. :)

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have a similar set up and the I added a Shapton Glass 16k, that really bumped up the sharpness on edges. I also finish with CrOx and FeO3. I tried naturals but could not achieve the same results as the masters.

5. Chuck Naill

So, I wanted to experience a stone edge and stopped using pastes because I read that if I used a stone and ended on diamond or Chromium Oxide that the edge was the paste and not the stone. Anyone agree/disagree?

6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yes, the edge has the ‘feel’ of the final finisher whatever that is, if the final honing was enough to change the scratch pattern or edge geometry. If the last abrasive didn’t make the edge characteristics, there wouldn’t be much point in using pastes.

7. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Do you finish with pastes on strops or balsa, Keith?

8. Keithmax

I use both but mostly hanging linen or fire hose strops for my pastes.

9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Shaving Straight OFF a Natural Stone or Any Synthetic Hone will Feel Different from a Pasted Edge...But..The Natural Stone of Choice that I Choose will STILL Shine through Pasted..;)

Personally I Dont Like Shaving Off ANY Stone without Paste...I Still Get the Effect of Any Natural Edge I Use with Pastes...The Paste Just Refines the Edge Further is All..The Natural Edge is Still there..On My Face Anyway..I Hone Razors for Other Folks & they Ask Me what Stones I Have Used because they Know the Edges are DIFFERENT from Synthetics...:D

Billy..:chores016:

10. Chuck Naill

Well, I accept your position because I don’t know enough to have one.

One person once asked how many laps I had done on my Thuringian after previously using a coticule. His point was that if I hadn’t I still had a coticule edge.

11. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    I Often Use a Coticule then a Yellow Lake Branded Oil Stone to Finish...I Get the Best of Both Worlds & I Call it a Combo Edge...The Coticule Still has an Effect on the Final Edge...The Yellow Lake Edge Without the Coticule 1st is a Very Different Edge Indeed..;)

To Me Honing Razors is More Towards a Feeling Art Rather than a Rational Science...And...We All Like Different Toys & Effects..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

12. Chuck Naill

So very true :)

13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

095D2927-0F64-46D1-88BE-5978D5F0ECBD.jpeg 190C64CE-D744-4D3C-A87A-0EF641B8D578.jpeg

A little fun today, I had loaned my Henckles Friodur 72 - a travel razor - to a friend who wanted to try put a stainless razor. It likely still had a good edge on it, but I wanted to refresh the edge since it lives in my shaving jump bag. I’m trying out a Shapton Glass HC or High Carbon to see what an 8k edge from this stone is like. Usually an 8k edge is OK for me but not what I really want, but let’s see how the HC series does. This is not the more commonly seen HR Glass Stone, but the grey-colored one intended for high carbon knives and razors.

Shave tomorrow!

Frijolero, PatrickA51, brit and 6 others like this.
  14. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I know a few of you out there like the finish of a Charnley Forest, and I got this a few months back and finally decided to start to learn it. :)

Took a Wade & Butcher FBU and a German Bismarck needing a touch up through their paces. Went Naniwa 1k/4k then Suehiro 6k for the W&B. The Bismarck joined in at the 6k after killing the edge. Have I said how much I LOVE that Suehiro 6k?!?!? So versatile... finish a bevel like a 4k and polish like an 8k. My favorite stone.

Then went to this CF. Love the pattern and the purple accent. Raised slurry with a well worn DMT325, and then played around, finishing on water. Pretty sweet undercut, but we’ll see how I did this week.

Crappy pic, but it’s late.
    3BABDD84-7090-4DBF-B198-EEE5D5F3F537.jpeg
    And maybe I was slightly altered...
    4B6B3F00-7348-415E-ABDB-A81A4A5AAD5B.jpeg
    I feel good... :cool:
    Happy honing.
    Tom

15. Keithmax

Touch up time:

Every razor saw the Shapton Glass 8k then

PRC Damscus and both the Wostys were finished on a Gokuymo 20k. Three layers of tape on the Wosty as they are 3/4 grinds.

The Koraat, Atlas J West and Brian Brown were finished on a Shapton Glass 16k

ID - 2.jpg

16. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

What are you using for lower progression honing?

Billyfergie, brit and Frijolero like this.
  17. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I have naniwa ss 1k, 3k, 5k, 8k, 12k.
    3 pasted balsa with Herold green, reddish, and blackish pastes
    2 balsa pasted with 1 and .5 diamond.

I did take one rat razor through the series just to see if I could. My best regular razors have never gotten more than a few swipes on the 12k then the pastes. Mostly the Herolds.

I'm still finding my way. Been in training using the shavette most recently. I'd like to learn to get my straights to cut as easily as it feels like the shavette does,......., if this is possible.

I'm all ears here guys!

18. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It is very possible. You just have to get the scratch pattern removed, from the previous stone used. Remember, the higher grit stone you use, the lighter the touch, pressure. Also, the most important thing is to get the bevel set properly, from 1-3K.

20. Chuck Naill

Not a complete hone, I've been doing around 60 x strokes on a Thuringian followed by linen and horse hide before shaving. I hold the stone under dripping water. Having done this process on several in my collection, I am getting the best SR shave ever. Not sure if its the process or that my SR skills are improving.