Travel setups

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ordinaryshaver, Apr 7, 2019.

1. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I do a fair bit of traveling for my job, 99 percent of the time driving. This got me thinking, and forgive me if it has been posted before, what do y'all use for your travel setups?

I am going to do a video tomorrow that shows mine, at least for the DE razor for now. I'd be interested in seeing what y'all use and the reason for it .
    Thanks.

2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

There’s been a few threads regards travel setups oftentimes in reference to TSA restrictions.

Driving makes things easier especially if you’re hauling a trailer (okay, maybe you don’t need that much shave gear...)

Depending on how long I’ll be gone I usually take one brush, one or two razors, a few blades, and mini containers of soaps/creams, aftershaves, etc. Sample sizes are great for the purpose and I’ve saved lots of the little containers to refill. I’ve got a collapsible bowl which works okay but if there’s room I’ll take a regular bowl or mug.

Another popular travel item is a shave stick for easy face lathering.

AGHisBBS, Frijolero, Hammer8 and 3 others like this.
  3. ordinaryshaver

I can't wait to use my potential new travel setup for the 1st time tomorrow.

4. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Mine is as follows:
    1967 gillette slim
    Arko stick in Williams aluminum stick soap tube (have a pears tube as well)
    Small container of witch hazel
    Rubberset travel brush with new badger knot.

5. Hammer8

Hammer8 Well-Known Member

I keep a disposable and a 3oz tube of Cremo on hand for flying. After a bad experience with an airline, I refuse to check a bag unless absolutely necessary. If traveling by car, I’ll take the same Cremo, but a safety razor as well. A Stirling sample size bottle of Witch Hazel for sure, possibly a sample after shave as well.

6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I take my Simpson CH2 Synthetic. I use a large pill bottle, into which I have drilled multiple holes in the cap for ventilation. Awhile back, I purchased a simple leather DE holder. Works well-enough. I also take this opportunity to take some samples that I have. Small, plastic tubs, mostly. Lastly, I choose a plastic bottle of shave balm. This time it was Soap Commander Wisdom.

7. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I just got back from a week long vacation and took a few things with me. But I’ll show you what I will take with me typically and some options.
    793CAD33-B715-407C-92F5-FBD6D0B41F3F.jpeg

Soaps:
    I take 2 shave sticks and have a few to choose from.
    Arko
    Palmolive
    Vintage cadum
    Vintage old spice

I’ll take witch hazel, lotion and aftershave with me. I will re-use small bottles from hotels I previously stayed at and fill them up. I also have small bottles of old spice aftershave and cologne

Razors:
    I normally take 3 piece razors. What I try to do is take one handle and several different heads , I’ll pack them into a shave stick holder. This time I took my SS bulldog handle and 3 SS ikon heads. I also took my new slim twist travel kit

Heads :
    English tech
    Old type head
    New long comb
    New short comb
    Pre war tech
    Post war tech

Handles :
    Fat handle
    Old type ball end
    Travel 2 piece

Brushes:
    I now have 2 travel brushes and both are vintage and both fit into this pill bottle.
    Simpsons best badger
    Culmak badger ( might be mixed)

I stuff all of it into my trusty vintage dopp bag
    EF72EA8F-FA0F-4D97-931F-8BBDECABC3D4.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  8. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

That is an awesome setup!

Jorvaljr, Hembree and brit like this.
  9. ordinaryshaver

Those old spice containers are awesome!
    I like the idea of using small bottles from previous trips. I'll have to start saving mine.

AGHisBBS, Frijolero, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  10. Jorvaljr

They come in handy. I like having different scents and those tiny bottle let me take several aftershaves

11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I live six months in the Africa bush and exclusively shaved with the following ......

IMG_0150.JPG
    An Omega 40033

$_35.JPG
    A Gillette Slim

71yMmBj+OpL._SX355_.jpg
    A hundred pack of Personna's

s-l1000.jpg
    A military travel mirror

stirling-shave-soap-img14_1296x.jpg
    A puck of Stirling Lime

And this was the crucial and most necessary .....

618247-515x515.jpg

A large jam can to pour the hot kettle in to to soak my brush in and sozzle my razor in between stokes. Large enough to shave in and place all my supplies inside (minus the mirror).

These items in the open air and a tin up of instant coffee and I knew it would be a grand day. :shaver

:eatdrink013:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  12. Jorvaljr

Six months in Africa? Why?

13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Missionary work.

14. ordinaryshaver

That sir is a mighty fine setup. I was thinking a bit more minimalist but that could be another way to go.....
    Would work family well I would think at deer camp however!

AGHisBBS, Frijolero, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You Sir are AWESOME! I plan on taking some long weekends camping and will have my camp set up. I hope it comes up to this standard!

AGHisBBS, Frijolero, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

My normal travel setup. Sorry for the smallish pic.
    vvsw0KNxYyC0GOUihqlu.png

AGHisBBS, Frijolero, gorgo2 and 4 others like this.
  17. ordinaryshaver

Going to have to is that setup when I want to take the SE razor. Right now I'm working on the DE razor. I'll try and track down one of those sets, I could use the Valet that I got in the older box, but I'd hate for something to happen to it.
    I'll just look around the bay and see if I can find one.

AGHisBBS, Frijolero, brit and 2 others like this.
  18. Jorvaljr

I think I have a couple of options im selling that may work for you. Send me a pm

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I usually use a Bigelow Parkins razor or a Fatboy. Depends on if I'm camping or staying in a hotel. The BP razor is the most compact safety you can get. It shaves exactly like a Cooper Monobilt, if anyone is curious. I sometimes even use it at home.

Went flying with my kit once and forgot to remove the blades. TSA made me dispose of the one in the Fatboy...but the BP slipped under the radar. I'm not advocating smuggling blades, but if you forget to take them out, chances are the BP will slip through screening.

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I don't fly but the times I travel every few years, I pack light with a St. Martin's cowhide bag from the 60s. It carries everything I need to bring and lives in my desk at work.

20190408_071536_600x1066.jpg

20190408_071734_600x1066.jpg

20190408_071749_600x1066.jpg

Will probably replace the T-II with the E-2 since it weighs much less and takes up less space.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Hammer8, AGHisBBS, Enrico and 3 others like this.