Quick review of a vintage Aqua Velva four flavor set

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by gorgo2, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Just used my Bicentennial (1976) Aqua Velva Ice Blue this evening, paired well with Maggard's London Barber Soap. I think the smell you are describing may be a Talc or Powdery Smell? Or if you think it's more citrusy, then maybe Bergamot.

No thank you. I have several that pair with their bottles.

Hembree, Frijolero and gorgo2 like this.
  2. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Excellent collection. I picked up an old glass bottle (empty) of the regular Blue just so I could refill and use on Saturdays. Reminds me of my dad.

Hembree, gorgo2 and Paul Turner like this.
  3. Weasel640

So I finally got a bottle of the Aqua Velva Original Sport. I can now say with certainty that it does not smell like any of the vintage offerings listed here.

Hembree, Paul Turner and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

do you like it?

Hembree likes this.
  5. Weasel640

It's a good scent. Don't have a refined nose so can't really place the notes. It kinda reminds me of the Gillette Cool Wave scent, but a little sweeter.

Hembree and brit like this.
  6. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Thats a cool set, i didnt know they had any other scents other then ice blue, blue sport and musk. I keep fighting the urge to buy the fishing reel decanter they had for awhile. I like aftershaves, its probably my favorite part of shaving, but of i could only choose one it would be original AV.

7. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

1977, still “play shaving”, with Aqua Velva splash. Even though Pete Rose did the commercials (I was a Dodgers fan).

Love that scent. The current version is different, and not as good IMO, but I’m just going by very old memories. The current old spice def smells different to me too, which I understand because of P&G.

Is anything out there like the 70’s version of blue Aqua Velva?

Hembree, Frijolero and brit like this.
  8. Weasel640

I recently tried the CVS alternative to Aqua Velva, called Arctic Blue. It is a lot more like that classic 70s scent, but maybe a little stronger. Can be had for $5 at you local CVS or online.

Also I hear (have not tried it) that the European version is more like that classic scent as well.

9. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

Worth a look! Thanks.

brit and Hembree like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Scots Pine is one of my current Stoylin samples(aftershave).

brit likes this.
  11. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Thanks for your review. I have been holding on to a set for years and afraid to use them in fear that I might get hooked on them!

IMG_20190427_095553922-1024x955.jpg

brit, Frijolero and Enrico like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I saw a game at Dodger Stadium that year (1977).

13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Please don't hold on to them ..... enjoy them ..... use them up and carry on to other things to enjoy.

It was made to make you smell good, not get dusty on the shelf.

:happy088:

brit and Frijolero like this.