COOPER RAZOR OWNERS CLUB (CRC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Herm2502, Jan 4, 2018.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

No one said they were made from the same die or mold, one could be OEM for Cooper. It is not like the Cooper 3 pc razors says made in the USA on them.

Here is a better view of the Sweedo for everyone to see the insert non modified for modern blades on the base plate and cap.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    jmudrick and brit like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Swedish Chrome Steel blades, rectangular cut out will fit both the Swee-do and Cooper. These are blades made prior to the new patented Swedish steel Kant Rust blades.
    cooper_ad.jpg

brit likes this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The Cooper adjustable on it's most aggressive recommended setting is like a 40s style super speed. Much better shave, Cooper on this setting performs almost exactly like that razor the way it shaves. It feels like it might be a little bit more aggressive but that is it. If I dial it back a hair or maybe one setting mark it should match up even closer. Next 2 shaves will be on the setting marks between most and least aggressive.

brit and Linuxguile like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

And no one was arguing you made any such claim. I only pointed out the two additional design variations you didn't mention

brit likes this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

There is a thing called unsaid implication. Not saying that that is the case here, just saying.

brit likes this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That I prefaced my comment with "probably correct" was the clue there was no such implication. Probably correct means what it says. I think you're on the right track, seriously great work.

brit likes this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Better pictures of a Sweedo.
    sweedo1.jpg sweedo2.jpg

jmudrick and brit like this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Third shave with the Cooper adjustable on the second to most aggressive setting. It is a big drop off in aggressiveness but not so much the overall shave from the most aggressive setting. When I define the settings the base plate has 2 X and 2 O markings that are the recommended setting. When you tighten it down once hand tight I adjust move the pointer on the knob to the closet one and that is what I call the least aggressive then you go counter clockwise until most aggressive. As long as you put cap on with the 2 on the same side for cap and plate you will always wind up at the same starting point for the adjustment. I'll post pictures on it later on.

I think the optimal setting for this razor for me is going to be somewhere between the most and second most aggressive settings. Either way this razor is not what you call an aggressive razor unless you consider a 40s style super speed aggressive. The other settings are going to be like shaving with a Canadian or American what we call pre-war Tech to a post war tech.

Once I am done I am going to put this razor up for a pass around. I just need to see about what do with the handle since it has a stress crack in it already. The handle since it is cast is easy to crack and break especially if it gets over tightened.

Linuxguile and jmudrick like this.
  9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

That sounds like a far cry from the aggression of the MonoBilt.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

brit and BBS like this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yep, not much exposure due to that big guard span.

Linuxguile and BBS like this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Definitely, you would never mistake this razor for a Monobilt by the way it shaves. It is a well designed razor head geometry aside. The handle is the weak link here. The good thing is you can just as easily replace it with a tech handle and put a notch on it or something like that for the adjustment aligning.

Linuxguile likes this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I think I just picked one of these up. I only wanted it for the handle.

Herm2502, Frijolero and brit like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I now have a Fine Marvel cap permanently installed on mine, turns it into a much more usable shaver.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

brit and gorgo2 like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

[​IMG]

Same as yours? I just bought it for the handle, a perfect match for my zamac Clix.

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Same. That's not a bad idea for the Clix, since I'm using a Tech handle for the Cooper.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thanks. It came in a small lot but I don't need anything else that came with it...I've been waiting a few years for just the right handle for the ol' Clix. From your review of the head, I won't be missing much.

17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I presume the Floating Head was a later development intended to make the original Conrad design more efficient which it certainly does. The Fine cap doesn't take things that far but helps a lot.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'd postulate if they were really importing this in as an OEM deal from Sweden from the same company that made the Sweedo, WWII cut that supply chain off and they had to go with American manufacturers and in turn designs.

brit likes this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Possible but the American patent by Bodkin goes all the way back to '33 and very much seems to tie in with the desire to make a Barbasol friendly razor head.

The first Barbasol was this pre patent one in '33.

[​IMG]

The new design , non Floating Head appears in '34.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Herm2502 and brit like this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've never been clear on what exactly the floating head design was or did. All I know is that I hear good things about it.

brit likes this.