The Big Shave Southwest (or S'West)

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by gwsmallwood, Feb 9, 2019.

1. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any mentions here. It's coming up in April, and since it's 10 minutes away from home for me, I actually get to go this year. Anyone else coming?

Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Planning on it.

Jorvaljr and RyX like this.
  3. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Yes, I think I'll be going. For me it's about 3 hours away, but at least it'll be on a Saturday so I should be able to make the trip fine.

Looks like they have picked up some more sponsors since the last time I looked at the web page: www.bigshavesouthwest.com

Also thinking about getting the Swag Bag but gotta decide before the 25th...

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Wow, that looks like Kind of a Big Thing. Take some photos and let us know about it when you get home!

Thanks for thread Garrett @gwsmallwood & the link Eric @Weasel640!

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  5. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Have fun @gwsmallwood .

On another note Anyone on the East Coast, preferably NJ upwards know of anything like that up this way?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    RyX likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Not East Coast, but a little closer than West Coast - Neal @NCoxSTL and members of The 30 Day Crew are deep into planning a 2nd TSD Meet Up near Saint Louis, Mo. Details --> HERE.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  7. Weasel640

Sure. Glad I pulled up the link to look at it... Looks like for anyone that checks in early, Mr. Smythe is hosting a trip to visit the Historic Town of Tombstone.
    https://bigshavesouthwest.com/store/tombstone-day-trip-thursday-april-25th-2019
    As I live only about 30-40 mins from Tombstone I won't be riding the bus. But will check my work schedule, and if permitting, may have to try and meet up with the group there as well.

RyX likes this.
  8. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Awesome. I'm making the trip down with Doug, so maybe I'll see you in Tombstone.

RyX likes this.
  9. Weasel640

Still not for sure about the Tombstone Day Trip. But will definitely make the Big Shave Southwest. Just booked the hotel stay. Already reserved a Swag Bag and Brush. Will see you all up there.

RyX and gwsmallwood like this.
  10. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

I'm in Las Vegas, so it's about a 5 hour drive. I'm considering going. I would probably make it a 1-day thing where I start driving at 4:30am and get there around 10am then browse and talk until around 12:30pm, then eat lunch, then take off for home around 1:30pm after buying any final items.

RyX and brit like this.
  11. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I wish it were still in Pasadena. Lol it was only 5 miles away. I won’t be traveling for the out of state one.

BigMike and brit like this.
  12. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I don't think it is the same event. This one is sponsored and organized by Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. The one in Pasadena was organized by a different store. Events like these are often sponsored by stores. We get a way cool event, and it drives sales for the store.

brit and Jorvaljr like this.
  13. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

It’s the same event, it moved due to the shutdown of STATS which hosted the event. If I’m not mistaken Douglas smythe started and promoted the event but the store is where it has been held.

brit and Shaver X like this.
  14. Shaver X

Where is Douglas Smythe anyways? Isn't he a member here?

I am not going be able to go to the event, but do intend to try some of his products in the future.

brit and Jorvaljr like this.
  15. Weasel640

Unless he goes by a different name on here, no I don't think he is a member. He is however all over Facebook and Youtube.

Looks like I will be getting a four day weekend off of work for this. So I will be going to meet up with those like @gwsmallwood at the Tombstone Day Trip. Also for those that are going to the Main Big Shave S'West event, I highly suggest getting on the newsletter and Facebook page. There are a lot of other side event's being organized. For instance that Friday night there happens to be a Drew Estate Cigars event that I'll be going to across town. Then a few of the other Big Shave people have organized a Cigar night just a few blocks down from the hotel later in the evening.

Keithmax, Shaver X and brit like this.
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Boy, someone would be kinda tired after all that!!!!!

brit likes this.
  17. Shaver X

Not everybody wants to give all their personal info to Facebook for distribution to the entire planet. C'mon Doogie, over here to the best shaving forum on the Internet! And big kudos to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements for being the prime mover for this event!

Looking forward to seeing photos and hearing accounts of the Big Shave Southwest. Hope everyone has a great time!

Edit:

Here is a video from https://bigshavesouthwest.com/ . I think this video says it all. When traditional wetshavers meet each other in real life, all the online barriers and nonsense fall by the wayside and everybody is buds.

Excellent!

IMHO mods and admins from all the forums should be greatly encouraged to attend. ;) That way, everyone would become friends with one another and hopefully bring that friendship back online.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Keithmax and brit like this.
  18. Weasel640

@gwsmallwood, I'll see you all tomorrow. The Main event is only two days away!

brit, gwsmallwood and BigMark83 like this.
  19. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

My haul from the Big Shave S'West

A button from the Holy Black. I got to meet Stefan Vincent (pictured on the right). Wish I took pictures, but I hate taking pictures. My memory is pretty good at remembering visuals and circumstances, but 'terrible' with names and names of things. Visual recognition memory is stout though.
    [​IMG]

Edwin Jagger Sample Soap and balm

Pacific Shaving Company gave a free sample travel lather bowl that compresses flat and uncompresses into a lather bowl. Really neat travel lather bowl.

Van Yulay - Kadota Green shave soap (I absolutely LOVE the scent on this soap. Fruity, slightly tart and 'green'. Fig is supposedly the central note but it reminds my of Acqua di Parma Fico di Amalfi.) -----****EDIT - I didn't realize it until I read the ingredients, but this soap has Tallow listed as an ingredient and that kind of changes things as Tallow can irritate my skin sometimes. I always thought that Van Yulay's modern formula was completely Vegan, but apparently not, so keep that in mind. I will have to use this one only on occasion unless they have a vegan formula.

Van Yulay - Green Man shave soap (some kind of super-green fougere and really has some scent strength)------***EDIT - This one does have Vegan ingredients, except a touch of spider silk, so it's Vegan in my book even if it's not technically meeting that definition. I never found silk to irritate my skin, so it's good to go.

The Gentleman's Groom Room - Malt N Myrtle shave soap.

PAA - Free Sundown sample shave soap and balm
    PAA - Chill Mill (dispenser that looks like a salt & pepper grinder, pure genius for getting the perfect amount of 'chill' to a shave, or at least, I hope it is...will let you know in a shave of the day)
    PAA - Big Shave S'West shampoo, shave soap, splash and balm.

Razor Emporium - Free T-shirt
    Razor Emporium - Citrus shave soap
    Razor Emporium - King R. Emporium shave soap and splash set
    Razor Emporium - Rex Ambassador + the matching razor stand

I can safely say that it was a great day, but alas, I didn't come away with a brush from the event, but I will likely have a brush made by an artisan at the event (Colorado Razor Designs).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    gwsmallwood, brit and Keithmax like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

nice score sir..

Tim Spencer likes this.