Which is the Best DE - Adjustable Safety Razor?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by johnnyflake, Apr 12, 2019.

1. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I am about a 98% SE Razor Shaver. I shave every day and I have 4 SE Razors that I use in rotation. I have one DE Razor, a Merkur 24C Open Comb, which I use occasionally, However, I am not that happy with it. I am thinking of getting another DE Razor, but one with aggressive versatility, thus an adjustable. I am looking at he Merkur and the Parker. I am not aware of any other at this time. A friend, has suggested looking into a vintage Fat Boy, but from what I see, a good one will be about two, or three times the cost, of one of the above, New!

Any thoughts or suggestions on a quality DE Razor will be appreciated.

Grick, Terry and RyX like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Setting aside big buck choices like Rex, Gibbs, Apollo, Rocnel, you should be able to find a Slim in fine user condition for around $30. I prefer my Merkur Progress, they usually go for around $40 second hand. Variant is based on the Progress and has a metal knob and grippier handle but fatter head The cheap Chinese Q-Shave Futur clone has also been fine for me.

"Best" for me is my Apollo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

johnnyflake, Herm2502 and RyX like this.
  3. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

Look at a Rockwell 6c, great 3 piece adjustable!!!

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

Trigger, Hembree and johnnyflake like this.
  4. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Actually....I believe you would have difficulty finding anything better than a Parker Variant. It just works and is a delight to shave with.

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I like my 6C but honestly it's easier to switch razors than to switch plates. I don't consider it (or my Karve or Timeless) an adjustable razor.

Hembree and johnnyflake like this.
  6. matthewoli98

They technically are adjustable because the plates can change out, and this does alter the agressiveness.

Trigger, Hembree and johnnyflake like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm aware of how they work thanks. My comment stands. Based on my reading of the forums maybe one in 20 (or fewer) Rockwell owners change plates during a shave. Ive never read of a Timeless or Karve owner doing so.

8. matthewoli98

YMMV razor choices are subjective, theres no right or wrong answer.

9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I agree with what @matthewoli98 said, they are subjective. Even tho I have a couple of Fatboys and are favorites of mine, I started out with a Slim and still consider it to be a great razor. I have seen some with no plate loss in the past few weeks which have gone for about $20.00. It's just a matter of deciding on what you want and not buying the first one you see, shop around.

Trigger, wristwatchb, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Razor choices are of course subjective. My contention is simply that razors with changeable plates don't offer comparable utility to razors which adjust without taking the thing apart. IRL most people don't do this, even if you think you will when you buy one. Read the Rockwell and Karve threads.

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

+1 on the Future clones. Same razor in a different box - Ming Shi 2000s.

Fat Boys have their fan base, but that doesn't mean you have to spend ebay prices. I've about shopped out my local antique stores and flea markets. In three or four years of looking found a dozen FB, Slim,and Black Beauties. I did pass up a couple with stuck adjusters or priced too high. Never paid more than
    $14 and got them as low as $4. A few I've gifted to family with the rest traded to TSD members for the ultra high price of a tub of soap. Estate and garage sales are good for that bargain pricing, too.While looking in those dusty corners watch for brushes to be restored, and Vintage Shulton Old Spice & Avon AS that you can check contents for quantity and quality.

Another style of adjustable to consider - SE? Schick and PAL both made injectors with a knob to be twisted.

12. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I have the Progress, the Variant, Fat Boy, Slim and 2 Black Beauties. As much as I love my Fatty, I think either the Progress or Variant are an excellent choice. If you add looks, the Variant wins.

Herm

Hembree, johnnyflake and madmedic like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Hehe in the eye of the beholder my friend.

Herm2502, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yep, that's why I didn't mention my Rockwell 6C. Once you decide on which plate to use, it's basically a three piece razor. It just offers you a chance to figure out which plate works best.

Trigger, brit, RyX and 4 others like this.
  15. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

I'd go slightly beyond that. It's basically a set of 3-piece razors, giving you a chance to choose the optimal razor to mate with your blade of the day.

Trigger, RyX, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  16. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I had the Variant and the Progress. Even though they both give great shaves I prefer the razor I started shaving with, the Gillette Slim or either Fatboy and BB. The Variant though giving great shave, was too heavy for my liking and both Progress and Variant a bit harder to load. My Slim has given me great shaves for over 55 years and still looks good.

Trigger, Herm2502, RyX and 3 others like this.
  17. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Lot's of good info coming in. Thanks!

I completely forgot about the Slim, I'll do a little checking on them.

I probably should have mentioned, that I bought a Krave, back in January of this year, but I became totally disenchanted with having to change the plates, to change the aggressiveness of the razor. I sold it, only a few weeks, after receiving it.

Trigger, RyX, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I rest my case :) .

brit, RyX, Shaver X and 1 other person like this.
  19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I owned a Progress and own a Fatboy. Sold the Progress. I didn't care for the head geometry and the cumbersome groove on the side of the head.
    The Fatboy remains, more out of nostalgia than its ability to open and close. I am one of those cranky people that think the adjustables are a gimmick.

wristwatchb, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  20. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I'm also not a fan of adjustables or DE's for that matter...I learned on a Slim. And learned to get BBS on every setting. So I do think they are a great technique teaching tool.

I did get one of those Mingshi 2000s on a lark, and ended up loving it! Quite alot of bang for your buck. I still only use it less than once a year because my ER Lather Catcher, Open Comb Dammys, Auto-Strop A1's and the like are so darn GREAT!

Let use know what you come up with.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Zykris, wristwatchb, brit and 2 others like this.