Which is the Best DE - Adjustable Safety Razor?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by johnnyflake, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hey John
    You didn't say what kind of SE razors you are using, it might make a difference in your final chioce. Some like the GEM style of SE's, other like the injector type, for different reasons.
    I have all types of adjustables and I will say that I like and dislike all of them for varying reasons. I have an adjustable PAL injector that is small and light, but picky about the angle, my Gillette FatBoy does a great job but is heavy, a Gillette Slim that shaves great but heavier than I like but lighter than the Fat Boy, then the knock off of a Merkur Futur, it shaves great is light but is big and bulky.
    All these are personal preferences that might determine your ideal razor.
    Just some things to ponder while you search.
    good luck!
    tp

johnnyflake, RyX and Shaver X like this.
  2. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Asking which adjustable safety razor is the best is like asking which safety razor is the best. You will never get everyone to agree. A better question might be "Which adjustable safety razors do a lot of people like?" Responses that also cite a number of other posts on various shaving forums would be especially helpful, particularly to those in the market for their first adjustable DE razor.

Herm2502, johnnyflake, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm seeing lots of those Karve around. I figured the Second Hand Market would start soon. They haven't been around long enough to be vintage, but I like the styling.

johnnyflake, wristwatchb and brit like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Just a thought, why not try a razor that is extremely easy to find and affordable. I speaking of a Schick Krona. If you'd like something a bit more efficient, a Red tip would would fill the bill for less than $20 on BST.

brit likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

i am on the fence with adjustables. i have a nice fatboy and a slim.,but i have learned to get awesome shaves with news and early techs, and don't use the adjustables often..my hd 500 rocket or #58 works for me if i want a more aggressive razor..

6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I prefer a Merkur Progress. I like the head geometry as opposed to Gillette. I was leary at first because so many people wrote about all sorts of complaints about them. I found it to be a fine smooth razor with excellent versatility.

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If you would like a slim throw me a pm with an address. I have a user grade one you can have. Adjustables are basically marketing thingies anyway.

It is the razor in this video.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

With that logic my truck is adjustable because I can change out the tires.

jwr3265, brit and BlaydRunner like this.
  9. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

The blade exposure is adjustable, heck its even in the name. If you look at the attached photo you'll see the word "adjustable" Only someone with your logic would compare a truck to a safety razor, so i cant really fault you. As i said when it comes to razor's, YMMV theres no need to try make me look bad for making a suggestion in an attempt to help a forum member.[​IMG]

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

brit and Yehuda D like this.
  10. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

If you haven’t used an adjustable before, I like the slim as a starter. It’s cheaper than a fatboy and similar performance. Next would be a black beauty followed by the fatboy. The Ming Shi, The Parker and the progress have a tendency to be slightly aggressive feeling and due to the open channels, they can catch around the lips/mouth area ( lol I know from experience :angry019:) .

johnnyflake, brit and matthewoli98 like this.
  11. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

The slim is a great razor for sure

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

johnnyflake, brit and Yehuda D like this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Lol.

brit likes this.
  13. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

:happy088:

tp

brit likes this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I tried the Variant and found it too heavy & aggressive. If aggressive is what you need, it may suit you. My 2 adjustables are the Gillette Super Adjustable and the Ming Shih (that I won in a PIF.) The Ming Shih is similar to the Merkur Progress, but a bit lighter and less aggressive.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    johnnyflake and brit like this.
  15. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I've been shaving with the Slim for nearly 60 years, later the Super Adjustable (Black Beauty) recently the Fatboy. Always on a setting on 7, rarely changing. Although I have many razors the only other one I really enjoy is the Weber PH, that is just as aggressive as any of my Gillette Adjustable's on 7 or 8. So, in defense of the Gillette adjustable I think it's not the adjustable that is not important but the ability to find a razor that fits the adjustment that you like without buying many razors. Also it's not the blade gap of a razor but also the trajectory and blade exposure, not forgetting the razor blade itself.

16. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I used a Progress for many years and considered it to be only satisfactory. The Futur is by far my favorite DE, having used one daily now for over 3 years. I find it to be best matched with Astra SP blades. YMMV.

17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I be of the minority and disagree regard the similarities between the Slim and a Fatboy. I've had a few of each and must say that they do shave differently. I've have 4 or 5 Fatboys and several Sims .... I still have the Fatboys.

If price is an issue I agree with @Tallships and say to look in to a Black Beauty ... I have one and REALLY like it; they can be found easily for rather inexpensive.

Just my 2 cents. :)

18. brit

brit in a box

i guess in theory if one shims a tech until it runs out of threads then thats adjustable..:)

MacDaDad likes this.
  19. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

As far as the razors I am using in my four razor rotation, I use a Schick E2, G2, G5 and a L1. I also have a couple of the GEM Styles, but I really don't care for them, because of the extreme angle of the head. Do you have a Merkur Futur, not the knock off? If so, what are your thought on it?

Terry and brit like this.
  20. asquaretail

asquaretail New Member

Thats why I have two 6s's. I think they are as good as razors costing twice the price, so why not. Two 6 S's still cheaper than the Rex (which I also like). So have two and set them up with the two plates that correspond to the two settings you would use on a truly adjustable razor. This strategy is dirt cheap with the 6C which some like better than the 6S.

johnnyflake, jmudrick and brit like this.