Taking a break from caffeine

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Apr 13, 2019.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Finally found a decent decaf, Dunkin Donuts. Three days since the last real cup, finally feeling normal. Any other recommendations on a good tasting decaf?

RyX and MntnMan62 like this.
  2. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

How much caffeinated coffee did you drink before this? And how would you describe "feeling normal" as compared to before? I'm curious because I'm wondering if I should cut out caffeine.

wristwatchb likes this.
  3. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I read this as I had 4 cups o' Joe this morning.

4. BigMark83

Are you implying you are sensitive to caffeine? I know people can be.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

3-4 six oz cups a day, often more, rarely less. Medium to dark roasts. Still, was to the point I didn't feel anything no matter how much I drank, so decided it's time for a reset. THEN I felt something, hoo boy.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    MR41, wristwatchb, brit and 1 other person like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

More insensitive, if anything. 23andme says I'm likely to consume more than most but I haven't really looked into what they mean by that.

RyX, brit and BigMark83 like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

And no, I'm not quite sure what normal is supposed to mean here. But I'm feeling better than I did the last 2 days.

wristwatchb and brit like this.
  8. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

My normal is 1 to 2 cups in the morning and no more. And when I don't have any, I don't feel any different. I suppose that would suggest I don't need it. But I do enjoy drinking my coffee in the morning. It's just part of my routine and I enjoy the taste, whether I think I'm getting a boost from it or not. Still contemplating going to decaf, but not there yet. Now going to make my small pot of french press. Yum.

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

3 - 4 cups daily (6 oz each) of regular is considered healthy for most men these days. Two to three for women. Caffeine and other molecules in coffee (some also found in decaf) are beneficial for us in terms of antioxidants and metabolism. Also interestingly, due to the adaptability of our bodies, they really haven't found an upper limit on caffeine intake assuming it's done over time and assuming no other medical conditions. Tho doctors have a daily intake guideline. Withdraw however, is an entirely different matter. (Best done by step down dosing.)

In any case... to answer the original question, my best decaf is Peet's House Blend. Pretty much the only decaf that I'll drink at home.

wristwatchb likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

in the 80s i drank pots of coffee. friends and i would sit at denny's and hang out all night as it was open 24 hours and free refills..fun times, couldn't do that today..traveler mug a day for me these days..

RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

We recently bought decafe by mistake. It was horrible, like everything there but empty somehow.
    I thought, we'll just deal til it runs out. Lasted two days, i went to buy more.
    When i got back, i mixed scoop for scoop into the third bucket until there was enough removed to mix the remnants together. By my estimation, i made 50/50 mix. We've been drinking that, it isn't too bad.
    All maxwellhouse morning blend.
    I think this would be a way of reducing caffeine.

wristwatchb and brit like this.
  12. BigMark83

Have you ever tried Newman's Own?

13. richgem

I havent.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I don't think I've noticed that brand down here the way I used to up north. Will look for it.

BigMark83 likes this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You know, i should have thought of Peet's, i like the Major so much.

BigMark83 likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep. Know exactly what you mean. DD is pretty good for unleaded, says it has chocolate notes and it actually does.

brit likes this.
  17. BigMark83

Maybe you should ;).

18. richgem

I'll keep it in mind for when my Peet's (k-cups) runs out. I rarely drink decaf, (fresh ground french press regular for me) but a good alternative is always helpful. Peet's can be a bit pricey.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    BigMark83 likes this.
  19. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I've been drinking 50/50 for several years. I try to find the same flavor in both decaf and regular and then mix them.
    Currently I'm drinking a French Roast and a House Blend from a local grocer's private label. I get equal bags of each in both decaf and regular.
    I used to be able to drink a whole pot of regular but then I cut back after noticing I couldn't seem to finish urinating.
    I would think the gun was empty and as soon as I put it back in the holster...
    Definitely not fun when you're wearing light colored slacks.
    The doctor said to cut back on caffeine and shazam the problem disappeared.
    2 mugs in the morning and that's it. On rare occasions when out to dinner I might have a cup afterwards but then its straight decaf.

RyX, gorgo2 and brit like this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Bought Peet's last night, made it this morning. Pretty good flavor, drinkable, but thin bodied...a little unsatisfying, and that's with a heavy spooned pour over. The DD decaf is more flavorful so you don't miss as much that caffeine bitterness Dave mentioned.

brit likes this.