Odd Question

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by BigMark83, Apr 22, 2019.

1. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Have any of ever had a hair in any of your brushes break? Just had one in my new 26mm knot. Then I thought "I doubt all of the hairs are perfect to begin with". Maybe I just need to talk about it so it doesn't continue to bother me. I guess I'm to much of a perfectionist. I really wish I wasn't.

brit and Hembree like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

It didn't break. It is a special auto-adjustment feature. It's state of the art, it shortens strands when needed to catch lather on the side of your bowl. Your very lucky to have noticed the automatic feature in action.

Enrico, BigMark83, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Just finished a shave making lather with a Surrey/Van Der Hagen boar brush. An odd thing happened. It didn't drop any bristles!

Fairly common for a new knot to drop a couple hairs. Is it natural bristle? Have you spent time doing extensive defunking maneuvers? Usually that'll knock any loose ones out before your first shave related use.

Enrico, brit and Hembree like this.
  4. BigMark83

@RyX no, I just set the knot last night. I plan on giving it it's maiden voyage tomorrow night. Set using caulk. My first 26mm fan.

RyX and Enrico like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've had hairs break...or at least, come out. My favorite New Forest brush drops a hair every once in a while.

It's hair. It breaks. Heck, my own hair does it too. I really wish it wouldn't though. You have to go to synthetic if you want "unbreakable" hair.

brit, RyX, BigMark83 and 1 other person like this.
  6. BigMark83

At least your follicles aren't broken :D.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

After setting a new knot, I usually give it two or three (sometimes four) test lathers to remove any natural funk. In that time it’s normal for the occasional loose bristle to come free. If it still loosing them after that I’d keep an eye on it.
    :eatdrink013:

brit and RyX like this.
  8. BigMark83

I couldn't wait so I used my 24mm last night. I like it, but I really think I'm going to love this new one. Washed it last night and lost some loose hairs. The bloom is nice. It's funny how just a few millimeters can make such a difference. The 26mm looks 1/3 - 1/4 larger than the smaller brush after blooming.

brit and RyX like this.