Which is the Best DE - Adjustable Safety Razor?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by johnnyflake, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

The one you have which is your favorite.;)

brit and Leclec13 like this.
  2. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

^^^^^

The slim. (Gillette slim adjustable

It’s aligot

brit, Edison Carter and Hembree like this.
  3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

No love for the Vikings Blade Emporor? Or maybe it is so new that very few have tried it yet.

The Slim is so good, it is probably allyouneed. ;) My fave adjustable.

Leclec13 and brit like this.
  4. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

IMHO regarding vintage the "195" wins out hands down on the classic factor but the "Slim" wins out on the overall shave because of the slightly better maneuverability (and I guess lower cost).

Leclec13 and brit like this.
  5. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Okay, I have now shaved with my new Merkur Progress, 12 days in a row. It was a very interesting experience! I used 3 different blades, 4 shaves each. I used a 7 O'clock, Nacet & a Feather SS. I truly love this razor, it can go from mild to wild in a heart beat. There are 5 full settings with half settings in between. After a lot of testing, up and down, 1 thru 5 and 5 thru 1, including half way setting, I find that with all of the razors blades, I get the best shave set on 3 for the first pass WTG and then notching down to 2 for my 2nd and 3rd passes. 2nd pass ATG and 3rd WTG. The shaves are amazingly smooth, and as good as it gets! My closest, cleanest shaves were with the Nacet Blade. The 7 O'clock and Feather were about the same, with a slight edge to the Feather. I used several different TOBS shave creams, for all of the test shaves.

Did I say, I love this little razor. I got the 500, which is the shorter handle, about 3". I love the control and maneuverability, it gives me, especially on the neck areas, below the chin. I should also add that this razor is extremely well made.

6. mantic

mantic U TOOB

I used to say that you'll have to pry my Progress out of my cold, dead hands. :) I've moved on from the Progress but it's still a great little razor! The Rockwell T launch, while it has become a bit of a fiasco (I'm hoping that Gareth can "make it right"), seems to have spurred a new interest in adjustables with a number of new models at both the high and low ends of the price spectrum, and I've tried almost all of 'em. For the price I think the Weishi Nostalgic Adjustable is actually quite nice. At the other end of the price range the Rex Ambassador is a favorite adjustable of mine but that price...dang. The Parker Variant addressed most of the little nagging issues I had with the Progress.

7. johnnyflake

I have heard a little about the Rockwell new T Adjustable, but have not see one yet. I will most likely be looking them over closely whenever they become available. What is their price range? I know about the Rex and put it completely out of my thoughts. The price is ridiculous! I actually, have been thinking of buying a Parker Variant, to do some comparing of my own. Much of what I have read, give the Variant a slight edge over the Progress. You are not the first person to say good things about the Weishi, so now, I need to take a closer look at one of them as well!

Hembree likes this.
  8. mantic

mantic U TOOB

I hope it won't violate TOS/TOU but here is an article I wrote about the new crop of adjustables that may answer your questions.

9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I love the progress.
    I have
    Slim
    Fatboy and executive
    Futur
    Variant
    Rockwell 6s
    The Berkeley custom shaver
    Progress
    While I have love for all of them, if I'd have gotten the progress first, I could easily have just stayed with it. It outperforms most, only rivalled in shave by the futur and variant, and the Berkeley. The Berkeley is its own class, probably my favorite travel razor, or on bad hand days. It almost feels like an electric, but with a blade, lol.

10. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

And I just read that, in my head, in your voice :happy068:.

11. johnnyflake

I have read that article several times already, as I have it bookmarked. It's very well written and on point. You did an amazing job!

I had actually forgotten that the Rockwell T was in it. That's probably were I first heard about it.

Hembree and mantic like this.
  12. RonT

RonT Member

Yes, as a 'born again' retro shaver I've got a lot of catching up to do,...what's out there and what do I need (want). Well done.
    Cheers,
    R

brit, Hembree and johnnyflake like this.