April 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 31, 2019.

?

Is Arko on the menu for you this month? Or Adjustable?

1. ARKO BABY!!! EVERY FREAKING SHAVE!!!!

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. ADJUSTABLES BABY!!! EVERY FREAKING SHAVE!!!!

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Arko is a part of it but not every shave.

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  4. Adjustables sometimes but not every shave.

19 vote(s)
    46.3%
  5. What's Arko??

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. Adjustable - what??

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  7. Just hand me my cookies and be done with it.

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  8. I want extra ice cream on my cookies for ignoring ice cream in the last poll.

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  9. Can't we all just eat cookies and ice cream and get along???

17 vote(s)
    41.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Robert, I do not own an open comb razor, but they are inherently aggressive because they are best used for heavy stubble growth. There are always exceptions to the rule, and I never doubt anyone's experience, but from what I have read, it counters your experience. Bottomline, I am glad you enjoy shaving with an OC razor.

brit, Norcalnewb, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Nice shave!

Trigger, brit, Norcalnewb and 3 others like this.
  3. Hembree

You have had an awesome month and I have enjoyed your comraderie. Looking forward to MAYhem May!

brit, Frijolero, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  4. Hembree

:rofl:

Trigger, brit, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  5. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

It seems like we had a whole thread on these about this time last year or the year before. I'm not sure we ever worked out the historical context for why such an invention was needed, however.

ISTR that Fuzzy mocked up a Gem version based on one of the patent drawings and did a shave video with it.

Trigger, brit, Frijolero and 6 others like this.
  6. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

One last hurrah for Arko April. And for the straights, for a bit. The Arko gave me its usual bowl full of awesome. The Aust gave me four exceptional passes. No blood, on face or hands...

IMG_20190430_113205_compress_33.jpg

7. John Ruschmeyer

Quick update... yesterday was a one-pass shave with the Aristocrat Adjustable and a vintage Spoiler blade (3rd shave). Today was a no-shave day.

And with that another month ends. Definitely an interesting month which included a new razor (Gillette New Improved) and a vintage blade (Gillette Spoiler). For much of the month, the brush was synthetic and the soap was Williams- a nice combination.

8. Hembree

John, it just amazing me at the gadgets, do dads and advancements in razors designs in the 30, 40s or 50s. It seems like there was a large market and everyone was trying one up the next one and get a piece of it. Some were great and some like the light razor just seemed plain silly.

clint64, Trigger, brit and 6 others like this.
  9. Hembree

Solid shave all the way!

Trigger, brit, Norcalnewb and 3 others like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I don't have any Clubman shave soap, but you make me wonder what it would be like to dip my brush into a "solution" of Clubman A.S. before each shave, even if the soap is way different than the Clubman scent.. Our Chemistry professor Joe might have a comment about that? What do you say, @Trigger?

11. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

Thank you Danny, it was a fun month. I have enjoyed the comraderie as well. I am super excited about May. I have heard a lot and want to see first hand!

12. John Ruschmeyer

Oddly, the lighted razor, like the vibrating razor, is one of those ideas that seems to get recycled ever generation or so.

Behold the Micro Touch Toughblade Pro, Lighted Power Razor which both lights and vibrates:
    [​IMG]

Not to be outdone, Gillette has the Fusion Chrome Collection Power Razor which also lights and vibrates:
    [​IMG]

clint64, Trigger, brit and 7 others like this.
  13. Hembree

This is my first MAYhem and I am a little.....whats the word....oh yea.....scared. My face is too pretty to mess up.;)

14. Hembree

Gillette would try to market a deep freeze to an Eskimo if they thought they could sell them.

clint64, Trigger, brit and 4 others like this.
  15. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

Things that make me say "hmmm?":confused:

clint64, Trigger, brit and 5 others like this.
  16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Well, I bid on this little beauty, but it wound up going for more than I was willing to pay. It sold with a handful of other items in an estate sale (couldn't separate the razor from the lot), and shipping would have been crazy. It does look like a very nice example of a Gillette Tuckaway that hasn't seen much use. I'll keep looking. Thanks again for the help, gents.
    Gillette.jpg

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'l hazard a guess since I've added AS to some scent faded vintage soaps. In small quantities the alcohol and scent oils don't much affect the lather. Some post shave products also have glycerin as do soaps so again little or no effect. In large quantities the added essential oils might require a bit more soap to get a lather to form. Up side - barbershop scented soap!

18. Hembree

Nice razor Charlie but you have got to know when to walk away. Every man has his price. One may pop up and be cheaper. I have seen that happen for me several times.

19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Not a bad deal at all :). The Burma Shave cake(which I'd better get going with soon), has a nice barbershop-type scent to it.

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Nice looking unit. Plenty more where it came from. That's a prime candidate for the "What I didn't buy today" thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.