April 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 31, 2019.

?

Is Arko on the menu for you this month? Or Adjustable?

1. ARKO BABY!!! EVERY FREAKING SHAVE!!!!

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. ADJUSTABLES BABY!!! EVERY FREAKING SHAVE!!!!

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Arko is a part of it but not every shave.

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  4. Adjustables sometimes but not every shave.

19 vote(s)
    46.3%
  5. What's Arko??

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. Adjustable - what??

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  7. Just hand me my cookies and be done with it.

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  8. I want extra ice cream on my cookies for ignoring ice cream in the last poll.

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  9. Can't we all just eat cookies and ice cream and get along???

17 vote(s)
    41.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Thanks Jim!

Norcalnewb, Trigger, brit and 2 others like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I have to back up Robert on this one Joe. I have a Blackland Dart which is a safety bar razor that is one of the most aggressive DE's in the market and a Merkur I5C OC that makes a Tech seem aggressive. The guard, whether safety bar or OC, doesn't determine the aggressiveness of a razor it's the head geometry itself. Blade exposure, blade Gap, and blade flex are the major contributors to the aggressiveness or mildness of a razor.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm good riding in the truck bed. Keep the cooler filled up and iced down. I'll manage.

RyX, Norcalnewb, Trigger and 5 others like this.
  4. wristwatchb

Agreed. Open combs are like most any commonly used razor...gentle as a kitten, but effective in removing hair, with mastery of proper technique.

5. brit

brit in a box

very nice Joseph, i think the notch is called a barbers notch.wholly kaw is nice soap..

6. wristwatchb

1.gif

7. Frijolero

There are specific razors, of course. The V1 Fatip has a reputation for being downright vindictive. But for reasons that have nothing to do with the open comb. Still, I'm pretty sure that razor had a pretty big hand in the perception about open combs.

8. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

9. wristwatchb

No problem, Danny. I'll shave with Arko and splash on a generous amount of Clubman beforehand. Old Blue'll chew a new door in the side of the dog box to get away from me. Then it'll be just me and what's in the cooler. Try to keep your speed higher than 40 mph. I'll need to air out a bit. ;)

10. brit

brit in a box

doesn't gillette own energizer?

11. brit

brit in a box

very nice sir, one will come up..

RyX, Norcalnewb, Trigger and 4 others like this.
  12. wristwatchb

Thanks Gary. I'll keep looking. :)

RyX, Norcalnewb, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

very nice shave sir..

14. Hembree

Good one Charlie....good one Charlie.

RyX, Norcalnewb, Trigger and 4 others like this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Arko Adjustable April

April 30

Razor - Russian Ideal Adjustable (9)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Stirling Finest Badger
    Post - Alum

For the record, I did NOT choose either of the first two poll entries for this month. Even though it is Arko Adjustable April, I had decided to use some other gear during the month just for variety. Well, that did NOT happen. With tonight's shave I have used ONLY Arko for the month and ONLY adjustables, including adding a new adjustable in the Russian Ideal. I'd say that's a solid AAA month.

Tonight I unleashed the beast by opening up the Ideal to setting "Me" and going at it with the Sharp Star. Yep, this is a Russian adjustable. Lots of gap and this one feels a bit more aggressive than the Consul. Not sure why, but the gap may be larger. It's definitely above a 9 on a Gillette, just like the Consul. I still need to weigh the two razors and do some other checking on their specs. I will say, though, that it only took two passes to bring the baby with this thing, and it also only took two passes to bring the Alum with a burn! Ouch! Hot in places! Clearly I need some work to fully dial this one in. For the time, though, this completes Arko Adjustable April for me!!

On to MAYhem!! My plan? Shoot, I have no idea yet, other than trying the new el-cheapo pain stick and blades from China. We'll see what happens after that. With the new business in front of me I will admit to being a bit more distracted than normal, but this too shall pass and I look forward to another fantastic month around here!! We're over 7600 posts for April and still have three hours to go!! We have more than doubled last year and added a bunch of new members again and.....well....I just love this place, how about that? Thanks for a truly AAA April guys and gals!!!

April 30 2019.jpg

16. brit

brit in a box

nice shave and pic Douglas..

RyX, Norcalnewb, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  17. Frijolero

Here's another photo from last summer. I use it to straighten out people who think they know what poverty looks like.
    IMG_20180708_153244_compress_53.jpg

Those are field mice. Boiled. On a stick. They sell them all along the rural parts of the road between Lilongwe and Salima. I gave the kid a couple bucks (in Kwacha) for talking to us and letting me take the photo. He thought I was buying them. "No, no, really - I already ate. Thanks though!"
    Someone asked one of the pastors at the work site about them. So the next day, he brought one for lunch. Ate it in two bites. There's video of that that I need to ask for a copy of.

18. brit

brit in a box

if i spot one i will let you know..

RyX, Norcalnewb, jluc and 3 others like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

hello fello shavers, thought i would end april with an old favorite.. new rfb, gsb, semogue 1438 boar and a 50s fire king bowl..and of course tabac..fantastic dfs+ ,you know the drill, its tabac..have a great wednesday gents.. 20190430_182307.jpg

20. Hembree

Great report....onward to MAYhem!

RyX, Norcalnewb, jluc and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.