Does Average Joe hate sandalwood?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Grick, May 1, 2019.

1. Grick

Grick Active Member

Reading all the negative reviews about the sandalwood scented Suavecito Pomade -- Winter Edition 2018 on amazon, I wonder if people who aren't nerds such as we are do not like the smell because it's so classic and unusual compared to modern day fragrances. I personally love the Suavecito sandalwood edition and don't understand how people can liken it to urinal cakes.

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I can't speak for the average person, but I like sandalwood. I even have a beard comb made from it. It's a great scent for shaving soap.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Frijolero, johnnyflake and RyX like this.
  3. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I like sandalwood myself. I have Fines sandalwood soap.

Frijolero and johnnyflake like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Some people liken Clubman to that, but I've loved Clubman for decades. As to Sandalwood, I'm slowly gravitating to woody scents, and "Sandal" just might be one of them soon.

Frijolero, johnnyflake and brit like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Having been a carpenter & woodworker I wasn't sure I'd like sandalwood. Proraso SS & AS changed my mind, but they are a straight up sandalwood. I read the scent description on the Suavecito site;

Base notes of wood and oak moss are enhanced by a subtle floral bouquet and exotic spices to create the complex and rich sandalwood aroma.

Maybe they strayed too far from the basic sandalwood scent?

6. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

I like sandalwood but it does not like me.. the burn.. oh the burn.

Frijolero likes this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Personally, I find sandalwood to be a very cloying scent. So, count me among the "against" crowd.

Frijolero likes this.
  8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I purchased a sandalwood scented bar of bath soap today to add to my stockpile.
    I am in the “like it” crowd.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Frijolero, johnnyflake and RyX like this.
  9. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Maybe some people just dont like sandalwood.

Frijolero likes this.
  10. Hammer8

Hammer8 Well-Known Member

For me it’s meh. Ok, but wouldn’t go out of my way for it.

Frijolero likes this.
  11. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Ditto

Frijolero likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I think you have to be sure you get the "right" Sandalwood. For instance, Wet Shaving Products focuses on manliness in all their...well.."products". They have a Sandalwood.

13. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Not keen on it...find it a wee bit sickening....if i had a choice of two..i would take the other

Frijolero and richgem like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

love sandalwood ..

Frijolero, johnnyflake and BigMark83 like this.
  15. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Sandalwood is one of the classic scents from back in the day. Some offerings, are much better than others. I happen to love a good sandalwood scent!

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  16. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Sandalwood and I have a love-hate relationship hehehe

I love the scent but I need to be careful because sometimes my skin hates it

17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    True sandalwood is not what many are accustomed to. Meehan is the purest sandalwood scent I have ever found.
    iu.jpeg

18. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

I would agree on the 'right' Sandalwood version/mix.

Back a couple months ago, I bought the WSP Formula T Sandalwood trial size, and the WSP Sandalwood Balm. Both are definitely more manly (true Sandalwood woodsy, I guess) than Proraso, TOBS, GFT, etc. Had no real issues with the WSP Formula T Sandalwood SS, but balm lit my face on fire, almost immediately with burning and turning red (for several hours, even after washing). Kept meaning to get back to them and try again, but with all the other options I have, these may end up in a PIF or next raffle or something like that.

19. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I can't speak for the average joe or the scent from this particular product but I for one love sandalwood. AOS Sandalwood cream is one of my faves. So is TOBS. Razorock Santal Royale is also pretty nice. The only supposed sandalwood scent that I'm not entirely keen on is the Proraso Red cream, mainly because you really can't smell much beyond the base. Whatever scent there may be is quite faint. As with most things, there are good and bad versions of everything. Maybe Sauvecito Pomade isn't all that great and has nothing to do with Sandalwood at all.

Zykris, Frijolero and johnnyflake like this.
  20. Grick

Grick Active Member

Maybe I should have asked if millennials dig sandalwood. Maybe it smells old to them.
    The Suavecito sandalwood smell is fantastic. Reminds me a bit of Aramis.