What Did You Learn From Your Shave Today?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Carson West, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

I've read that if you have sensitive skin like mine, you're better off using milder (less sharp) blades like Derbys. My problem is that I demand of myself a close shave. So if I use a mild blade, I end up going over every area many times to get one. And that results in more irritation than I'd get using a sharper blade and fewer strokes. (But nothing will irritate me more than applying pressure with the razor.)

AGHisBBS, Hembree, Terry and 2 others like this.
  2. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

What does it compare to?

Hembree and brit like this.
  3. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

Its quite agressive for a closed comb, its basically a copy of the 7 o clock Stirling but i suspect its slightly more agressive.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, Hembree, brit and 1 other person like this.
  4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I learned that if it works, don't fix it.

5. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

For me it's my Krona. More intuitive than a Gillette for I. But that's why we have options. Besides it was made in Connecticut, just like me :D.

Frijolero, AGHisBBS and brit like this.
  6. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

I learned a little skin stretching the right direction makes a world of difference.

Frijolero, AGHisBBS, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  7. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I learned today that it is sometimes necessary to go back to your roots in this hobby. We all get a case of AD of something, but recently my RAD has become toxic. I have razors they always give good shaves, but they sit in the back of the cabinet because I have "newer" stuff.
    Also, I am sticking to the same products for an entire week. I think it lets me have a more true idea of what the products are like with the time I use them.

Frijolero, AGHisBBS, b1hart and 7 others like this.
  8. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Good thought!

brit likes this.
  9. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

Yep, i hadnt used my first Razor for four months until i gave it a test run for a week and i got some of the best shaves of my life even though it was a cheap 1,5 dollar de.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, brit, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  10. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I don't know if I learned this today but it sort of dawned on me today. When I started this hobby I was only interested in creams because they were easier to work with. Then I tried a soap or two and was hooked. I now prefer soaps over creams. I still use creams for traveling since I need things to be simple while on the road. But the soaps just give me better performance than any cream I have. So, whereas when I started I actually figured I'd never use a soap because I wasn't interested in the "hassle" of it, I now prefer them and actually feel the ritual of loading a brush is soothing and only adds to the entire process. Just a reflection I guess.

Frijolero, AGHisBBS, GatorJoe and 7 others like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

good stuff.. i participate in several focus' for that very reason..

Hembree likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

You want us to look over you? :cool:

brit likes this.
  13. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

That would be nice at times.....I know it is hard to do.

brit likes this.
  14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Your RAD might have become toxic, but to your credit you realized that and dialed things back a bit. Some guys aren't able to do that.

It is not necessary to have a ton of stuff to try a ton of things, though. I tried things serially and until they were used up, and never had more than two brushes or three razors, and seldom more than two or three shaving soaps and creams at any one time. If something better than what I had was found, then I would Sure, it takes more time to try a wide array of things, but I actually get to experience in-depth how the various products work. Writing my impressions of the products in a notebook makes it easy to go back see what things worked particularly well. It sounds like you have discovered a similar approach.

15. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

That a prewar Fat Handle Tech loaded with a Nacet gives the same results as any other razor I own. Absolutely perfect BBS after three passes on forty-eight hours' growth.
    No exaggeration.........., perfect. Why do I own so many razors?

16. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Yes, as others have said, great thought put into words. Something I've thought about the past week. I'll be following the same idea as well going forward. I'm 4.5 months into finding wet shaving for the first time (at 53). Always was the latest cart user before.

My thoughts are to get down to 1, or possibly 2, favorites in each type razor. Want to learn and experience all these. Single edge (nothing yet), Double Edge (too many), Straight (2), Shavette (1), and Kamisori (0).

Soaps and creams, maybe get down to a rotation of 2 weeks. Have gone a overboard on SAD purchases. I'll pare down to a few multiple scents from just 3-4 manufacturers. I'm finding my olfactory process isn't the same as others, so I'm already judicious with purchases now, and thinning a little of what I have.

Brushes, similar to razors....1, maybe 2 favorites of each bristle material. Boar (have 3), badger (1 on the way), synthetic (2). One of the synthetics is going away. Not sure I'll replace it.

I may however, rotate into a new favorite or 'keeper' with razors...as in buy one sell one. Straight razors and Kamisori styles are alluring....

17. Carson West

When I purchase an aftershave that's "inspired" by a cologne I like, I can't expect it to be a perfect clone, but I have to judge it on its own merit. Case in point: Fine Italian Citrus was inspired by Acqua Di Parma, one of my favorite scents. I can identify similar notes in the Fine, but the overall combination of scents is different. At first I didn't like it because of that difference, then I came to appreciate it, as it too smells great, and it's worth having both.

18. Carson West

This is hard to admit, but I get some of my best shaves from my plastic, Wilkinson Sword Classic razor. If it was made of solid bronze and I paid over $100 for it, I'd be singing its praises, but since it's a humble, inexpensive plastic razor, I tend to underestimate it. Pairing it with a Wilkinson Sword blade makes for a perfect combination.

19. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

A good clean shave starts the day out right. Especially when things get tough.
    I recomend it, especially when things get tough.

tp

Shaver X, b1hart and brit like this.
  20. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

:signs011: My sentiments exactly!

Shaver X, brit and Terry like this.