Is it new or is it used?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Primotenore, May 8, 2019.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plisson-Shaving-brush-Horn-handle-Pure-High-mountain-badger-knot-NEW/254193204597?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=2bbbd63d7ca045ae8f746e3c06ceec29&pid=100675&rk=2&rkt=15&sd=173866328202&itm=254193204597&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:bea2a151-71b1-11e9-a0d3-74dbd180c3bc|parentrq:985cda7516a0aa42ed5d2c7fffe57800|iid:1

Seller advertises this brush as "NEW". In the body of his ad, he states that he did a "test lathering"
    "I lathered in a bowl for test - Very efficient brush building lather in no time."
    I wrote him a very cordial letter explaining that new means new and this brush has been lathered and therefore should no longer be advertised as new.

Indeed, all you have to do is look at the seller's pictures to quickly and easily ascertain that this brush is in NO WAY NOS.

His
    response:
    "I don't see it to be an issue.
    Also - I never hide any detail from my buyers.
    I describe everything and everything they need to know is written.
    I could "omit" saying I lathered in a bowl, but I don't. It is a fully and honest description of the items as I always do."

So...is it new or is it used?

Frijolero, wristwatchb, RyX and 2 others like this.
  2. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

It is used.

Frijolero, jimjo1031 and Briscoe like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

To me, it doesn't look new. Two main reasons, the lettering is worn out in a couple areas and it looks like there is soap scum on the bottom.

Frijolero, wristwatchb and Briscoe like this.
  4. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

I would agree with you on it being used, a test lather IMO means it has touched his face. Offer what you think is fair, but I definitely think of the brush as used.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Frijolero and jimjo1031 like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Judging from the animal stink present on both boar and badger brushes I've bought, they were "NEW". I don't know how much cleaning the natural bristles get prior to making the knot, but I expect to spend a little time defunking a new brush or new replacement knot.

If this was vintage and never lathered, New in Box (NIB) would honestly apply.

6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

It's not new as defined in the description...."brand-new, unused, unopened."

I'll do my own test lathers on a new brush, thanks. Joseph, I don't think you're splitting hairs here. ;)

7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Is it used or is it Maybelline?

"Slightly used."

8. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

9. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

If the vendor cleaned and prepped it for use by another, then I say it is NEW. It has never touched another person's face. I would bet that many name brand brushes go through same process. Auto makers test drive your "new" car before they go to the showroom; it had to be driven onto/off of the car carrier; it has more than zero miles. So, are those cars new or used? Someone sat in them, someone started the engine, someone drove it. How do you think the conversation would go if you tried to argue that the car was used and not new.

If the brush arrived unclean and unprepped, then I think you have an argument that it is not new.

Frijolero, jimjo1031 and Hembree like this.
  10. Terry Williams

Whoops! I amend my comments. I didn't look at the link before I posted. It looks like the EBay-er took out the note about pre-lathering. I didn't realize that this was a re-knot. I was thinking that it was a handmade brush, like Wolf Whiskers or something like that.

But, I think that a lot of brush makers or knot makers will wash or clean the knot (possibly sterilize) before packaging. There must be a lot of manufacturing by-product that would get caught in the knot. Because of that I am willing to give this vendor a pass. When I get a natural hair brush from WW or The Brush Guy or someone else, the brush knot is compressed (not bloomed). Seems to me that they must use something (water? hairspray?) to hold the brush in a compressed knot for packaging.

Frijolero, jimjo1031 and Hembree like this.
  11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I had to look again myself. I don't see anything there that says it's been re-knotted. He says that some lettering has come off due to age. And that the handle itself shows wear from age. I've had used vintage brushes with better lettering, they usually wear off due to handling from use. They don't wear off sitting in a box, IMHO. The way he's presenting it is that's it's NOS, never used, I don't buy it. I still say that the white residue on the bottom looks like soap scum.

Frijolero, wristwatchb and Hembree like this.
  12. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I voted used.

13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Why would the seller perform a test lather with it? It serves no purpose, and it prompts a new vs. used debate. I can't envision any selling scenario where this would be helpful.

I doubt if brush manufacturers do any more cleaning to the bristles than is absolutely necessary. Extra steps in manufacturing add cost. Having said that, I'm fine with a manufacturer cleaning a brush in a controlled environment as they would normally do. Who knows how the seller test lathered it?

The handle is showing some age (that I would attribute to use) as well. Used or not, the brush has spent time outside the package.

I'm admittedly picky. It's a $300 brush. For that price, buyers can indeed be picky.

Something is not adding up.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  14. Primotenore

Article Team
    This is not a re-knot. It is a well-used brush that the seller is trying to pass off as NOS. I am considering reporting this to Ebay.

Jorvaljr, Hembree, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  15. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Indeed, you can pay 80 more for a brand new one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

16. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

She's used. . I mean....... period.

17. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

If he test lathered with it, technically it's used.

18. Primotenore

Article Team
    Someone mentioned that Paladin lathers their brushes before selling them. I think there's a difference between the manufacturer "testing" their product and a consumer doing something similar before a resale.

Jrdelgado, Hembree, Frijolero and 5 others like this.
  19. Terry Williams

Ah... I misinterpreted the listing title. I saw Horn Handle (thinking old used) and Hi Mtn - NEW as implying the knot was new. Still, the description is a bit disingenuous.

20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

New in used condition? This does not look like a new brush, on one picture there is a rubberband around the base. This brush doesn’t even ‘present as new’.

Steve56, Jrdelgado, Hembree and 5 others like this.