Vintage razor collecting

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rob206, May 13, 2019.

1. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

I think I may have triggered a new obcession today ordering the Gem junior 1912. If I'm interested in acquiring old razors, probably pre WW2, what are the popular ones I should be looking for? DE and SE, doesn't matter yet, I think I'll be interested in collecting both. Gem, star, ever ready, gillette. I have no idea on models of any, so just looking for names and suggestions. Is there a must have list for collectors?

Edison Carter, brit, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

There are way too many to name and what is gold to one person is just meh to another.

Take a look through the shave of the day threads at some very nice pics of nice razors and see what appeals to you.

3. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

The list is going to change among each member I believe. I have bought many and tried them and sold, traded, or given away, while keeping some that are ones that I really enjoy the look, the feel, and the shave they give, as well as the significance, or rareness of them. I went through phases and still do from buying everything I can find to now trying to stay with only cased razors. But I will still buy them if they are a good deal or something I want to try. Good luck with your hunt. If your like me it will be a long one.

jtspartan, brit, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  4. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Cooper Monobilt. That's all you need to know n

jtspartan, PLANofMAN, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  5. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks guys. Besides the den, tost, etsy, is there a website I'd be missing for collecting vintage razors?

Hembree likes this.
  6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

It might make a difference on which ones you collect if your purpose includes using them. I have a few just to have but the main portion of my collection are razors that I get good shaves with.

gorgo2, brit, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

jtspartan, dmshaver, brit and 2 others like this.
  8. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

brit, Hembree and RyX like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

For pre WW II Gillette DE razors without buying every set and handle style out there on the US made stuff the razor styles to get are an Old Type, New and Improved, New Long and Short Comb, New DeLuxe, Goodwill 160/162/164/175 and what is termed a Pre War Tech. That should cover 3pc razors.

Another name you'll know that is well regarded by many collectors is the DE Barbasol floating head razor. They made one with and without the floating head and there are also versions of that razor that not branded as a Barbasol.

Cooper Monobilt is also a well regarded razor on this site and pretty unique one also due to the swing top cap. There is a wealth of information on Cooper razors here in the CRC razors owner thread.

Another well regarded razor around these parts is the Shake Sharp.

There are more but those are the ones that come to mind right away.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    RyX, dmshaver, Angelo85 and 2 others like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is a chart for SE razors. This is sourced from a forum called Badgerandblade. No issues with reposting it, so here it is.
    ASR_Date_Chart.jpg

The one Ever Ready razor that is good one to collect and use is what is termed a shovel head. On the Gem stuff I can't really speak for the earlier models but you will find if you ask around which Gem model people tend to prefer it is the Gem Micromatic open comb.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    RyX, gorgo2, Rob206 and 1 other person like this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

One other razor to look at is the Stahly live blade vibrating razor. If you like over engineered razors that one certainly fits that description.

RyX, Rob206 and brit like this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You got that right :)

Screenshot_20190513-214239.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RyX, Hembree, Rob206 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I went through this phase...sold 95% of my vintage razors. Kept a '41 Ranger Tech, '58 Adjustable and a '08 Single Ring. Some shavers collect razors. I am more of a "brush" guy. :)

RyX, brit, gorgo2 and 1 other person like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Same. I'm about to have yet another massive "final" giveaway/sell off and pare down to a very very few. But I've said that before and somehow razors just keep showing up.

[​IMG]

Primotenore, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  15. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

^^This^^

I will add, there is only one way to get there, and that is to buy them all. Who would have thought you'd end up with the favorites that you did. Personally, I might be more of a binge/purge guy(sorry for the analogy). I actually bought everything, and not just Gillette. Many people across 3 forums have a razor that was a part of my initial binge and first couple of purges.
    Keep in mind that what works for one person may not be the best route for another. I enjoyed and benefited from grabbing approximately 3 of each razor. A low-risk, PIF worthy specimen, a nice regular user(or 3), and if I ran across one, a razor I could put on a shelf. By trying them all, you can skip the "hype" that is generated online and make well-informed decisions for yourself.
    My vote is buy them all, but know the market. Knowing the market can help you avoid a regretful pass or regretful purchase.

Primotenore, RyX, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  16. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I’d recommend Wardonia razors (you’ll have to modify modern DE blades to fit in them), Clix, Gillette The NEW, Gillette Old Type, Rolls Razor. If you’re interested in vintage slant razors the Neo Lux/Ras razor is excellent as is the Hoffritz. The Hoffritz is basically a licensed/rebranded Merkur slant that was made for the American market.

RyX, gorgo2, brit and 1 other person like this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

On slants most of them are going to be non US razors. If you want one that is uniquely American look into the Krect razors. The earlier Spiral Curve razors were made pre WWII the last version of the 3 pictured that uses a threaded design for the handle was sold for sure after WWII.

krect.jpg

gorgo2, brit and Rob206 like this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Another one though you'd need to modify DE blades if you wanted to use it that might be of collecting interest are the Segal unitary razors.

gorgo2, brit, Rob206 and 1 other person like this.
  19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

gorgo2, brit and Rob206 like this.
  20. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I say you contact me, I have some razors I need to selloff ;)

brit and Rob206 like this.