My Next Brush....

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by rick, Apr 16, 2007.

1. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

OK.
    Looking for some advice / opinions / suggestions

I want / need another brush and I've been researching.
    I've got 3 brushes right now...
    2 I'm very happy with: Simpson Super Chubby 1 and B&B Finest Ebony.
    I want a brush that is in between the Chubby and the B&B.
    Floppy is not what I'm looking for.
    I want a reeeely dense brush with lots of backbone that feels very soft on the face.
    Anywho...
    gots my eyes on Rooney, Shavemac and the SR line.
    (yeahyeahyeah....I saw ALL the posts on Kent brushes. Evidence proves they would be too floppy for me)

2. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Shavemaster

:D

3. Padron

Padron Active Member

I vote Shavemac or SR, I think they'll give you exactly what your looking for. I have a 23mm and a 25mm Shavemac Silvertip, they have plenty of backbone and are very soft to the skin....Excellent build quality too, my 23mm has lost 1 hair and the 25mm has not lost one :D

Haven't tried a Rooney yet, but it may be similar to what you already have...:confused:

4. Will

Will Nevermind

Savile Row 3xxx

5. mantic

mantic U TOOB

I second the Shavemaster suggestion, though it might be rather large for you if you're used to a Chubby 1. Look for a fan-type (vs. lightbulb type) brush: Rooney comes to mind, as might a Simpsons Persian Jar 2 (though Simpsons quality control has been a little shakey lately).

--Mark

6. rick

So far.....
    these are the main contenders.

SR3120 and Rooney Style2 Size1 in Super
    .....(I considered the Shavemaster but .....too big I fear:( )

7. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Charles also has a S100 version of the Shavemaster that is smaller. You might want to call him and look in to that. It's $50 cheaper too.

They're not listed on the site though, but I could get you a pic of one next time I'm over there.

8. Will

Will Nevermind

Rick

Them two brushes = :drool :drool :drool

Start a Poll Baby!

9. Padron

Padron Active Member

The SR if the 20mm knot is not to small for you. The Rooney Style 1 would probably have more backbone according to the reading I've done..Both nice though ;)

10. xChris

xChris Member

I think the SR is closer to your criteria than that particular Rooney.

The Rooney has a high loft to knot diameter ratio (what is this engineering now!?!?! :rolleyes: :D ), and the "super" silvertip is quite soft (although densley packed), plus it's got that fan shape which will bloom out further.

The SR has the tight lightbulb shape, is densely packed, and has great firmness.

11. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I don't have one (yet), but the SR sounds like what you are looking for. They seem to have the firmness you are looking for but are not scrubby.

12. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

This is definitely correct. SR or Shavemac.

St. Croix

13. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

That's a no brainer - hook it up Rick :happy088

14. rick

I'm leaning towards a "fan" shaped brush and its looking like
    either a Rooney or maybe a Shavemaster.
    My Chubby and my B&B brush are both lightbulb shaped, altho they are completely different in most other ways.
    Any owners of a Rooney or Shavemaster please feel free to pipe up !!

15. mantic

mantic U TOOB

I have both. My Rooney is a SMF-III which is about mid-way between their medium and large sizes. My Shavemaster is actually a pre-production model but identical to the production model.

The Rooney is more luxury-oriented: incredibly soft, but still stiff enough for me.

The Shavemaster is more performance-oriented: stiff for a badger brush, but still very comfortable.

IMHO, YMMV

--Mark

16. xChris

xChris Member

IMHO, you'll have to get a Rooney in "Finest" silvertip to get the brush qualities you want in their smaller and/or higher lofted brushes. Otherwise, you'll probably have to consider a larger diameter knot or shorter lofted brush (Rooney Style 1, med or lg).

For reference, I have the SMF III, Rooney's Style 1, Size 3 (Super, 26mm), Sabini/Rooney Style 1 Size 2 (Finest, 24mm). This is what I'm basing my opinion on.

17. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I recently bought the Gentleman's Shop-branded Rooney silvertip (basically, Style 2, small). This brush is INCREDIBLY soft. It feels like I'm rubbing my face with velvet - literally. My Kent's feel scratchy compared to this brush!! Yet, it quite dense - floppy is the last word I would use to describe this brush.

The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't seem to want to let my face have enough lather. Makes plenty, make no mistake, but doesn't want to deposit enough where it belongs. I've used it only 3-4 times so I think (hope?) it's just a matter of adjusting the water/cream ratio. I fully intend to keep trying as the feel of this brush is incredible! $50 US + $15 to ship.

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/Gentleman_s_Shop_Silver_Tip_Shaving_Brush.html#a420

Attached Files:

18. Padron

Padron Active Member

Nice looking brushes Michael, the brush in the center looks great and is a excellent value.....to me the B&B brush is a fan shaped brush, nothing at all like my 2 lightbulb shaped Shavemacs.

YMMV ;)

19. rick

Thats what Im talkin' about.
    Cept I need it in the faux horn

These are the 2 contenders right now....(altho the Shavemaster aint outta the running quite yet)
    Rooney Style2 Size1 Super in Faux Horn and
    Shavemac 177 Super in Faux Tortoise.
    (I know the SR is a great brush but it'll havta wait.)
    Compare and Contrast.
    Thanks.

20. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Just my opinion, and only because I have 2 "bulb" brushes (SR3124 and SMF 1) and two pesudo-bulb/pseudo-fan brushes (B&B Standard and B&B Finest) -- I'd pick the Rooney brush, because I've always wanted to try out a "true" fan-shaped brush to see how it compares/contrasts with the bulb-shaped and combo-shaped brushes.