Synthetic Brushes As Good As "Silvertip" Badger?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by mantic, May 17, 2019.

1. mantic

mantic U TOOB

I've got an article up on Sharpologist today about the new breed of synthetic shave brushes. I think they've really come a long way in a short time. When do you think they'll equal "silvertip" badger brushes?

Terry Williams, AlDm, bayercy and 7 others like this.
  2. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hey Mark never had the chance to properly thank you for all the things you have on your blog.
    Along with the shave den, it has been a great help. Keep up the great work!
    Thanks!!
    tp

AlDm, BigD, bayercy and 4 others like this.
  3. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I feel like they already have especially when you look at Plisson/Plissoft or Tuxedo knots. To me the difference is marginal and the trade off of no smell or long dry time is completely worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9nein9, MR41, RyX and 9 others like this.
  4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I think the synthetics have arrived and will compete now.

9nein9, Terry Williams, BigD and 4 others like this.
  5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

My H.I.S. synthetic is a superb lathering machine and easily surpasses every boar and badger I’ve tried. While I’ve never tried a silvertip badger, I find it hard to believe it would best the H.I.S.

MR41, RyX, BigD and 3 others like this.
  6. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Just read your article that you referenced, Mark. I don’t know that I am completely subjective, in that I do not own any ‘top tier’ silvertips such as Shavemac, Thater, Simpson, Rooney, etc. I have some decent 2 or 3 band badgers- TGN, Stirling etc. I do, however, have some of the synthetics you referenced. I have, or have had Plisson, APShave Co Cashmere, APShave Co Tuxedo, DSCosmetic Flattop Tuxedo, DSCosmetic Flattop, APShaveCo Flattop, APShave Co SynBad and Simpsons Synthetic (in a CH2 handle). I also acknowledge that Shavemac has entered the hand-tied synthetic game now as well, but I have not ordered one yet. For full disclosure, and for reference, I am also a fan of large Omega boars.
    I believe that Synthetics have arrived. In particular, my APShave Co SynBad (30mm) and Flattop (24mm) and Simpsons (28mm, I think) are lathering monsters. The Cashmere and Tuxedo are close, but a step behind, imho.
    You talked of the ethical considerations of badger usage. I don’t have a problem with the harvesting of animal products for human use in general. Some of the stuff I have seen online does make me question somewhat the ‘farming’ of badgers in China. While this has caused me pause, the biggest reason I have purchased quite a few Synthetics lately is that they work, plain and simple. Not all of them, but the best of the bunch as I have listed above, are top tier knots.
    Your question was ‘when will they equal Silvertips’ in post #1. They may not yet be completely equal, but they are in the conversation in my opinion. They can also still improve, but there isn’t that far to go.

Codfish, DaltonGang, mantic and 9 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

well said Jason..i am in a similar boat..i don't own a $200 + silver tip brush. i have best.2 band finest and all the other fancy names but my ap shave tuxedo,rr chrome silvertip synthetic and my timberwolf knotted brushes are awesome, low maintenance and build great lathers .i am not sure i would spend the $ to try...did i mention the plissoft knotted brushes..

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Codfish, MR41, RyX and 7 others like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

i also wanted to say that the badger knots i have are fantastic ,as well as the boars..

MR41, Hembree, BigD and 2 others like this.
  9. bayercy

bayercy Well-Known Member

I have a Yaqi Tuxedo brush for a week. I used several times. I shaved just a few minutes ago. I tried a market synthetic brush before and i did not like it at all. But Tuxedo is good enough. But natural bristles, boars and badgers are still better, IMHO. [​IMG]

brit, MR41, RyX and 4 others like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    If the question is "do synthetic knots perform as well as natural hair knots?" The answer is "yes". If, however you alter the question slightly to: "do synthetic knots have the same tactile feel as natural hair knots? The answer is mos def, "no". That's why I only have one synthetic and it resides in my dopp kit for travel.

bayercy, brit, Linuxguile and 11 others like this.
  11. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Like you I only have one Synthetic I use for travel due to its ability to dry quickly. The rest of my brushes are boars, badgers, and one being horse. I like the Synthetic better than the horse, but not as much as my boars and badgers. I think it will be a long time before I buy another brush, but when it's time I might look at a Synthetic after a few more generations of Synthetic technology upgrades.

As far as killing the animal for its hair, the pigs are being killed for food. They're just doing what man has done since the beginning of time, finding uses for the parts that aren't being eaten. As far as the badger, the badgers are being killed anyway due to how they are looked at in East Asia as a nuisance animal. Using the hair to make shave brushes is turning lemons into lemonade. The pelts and hair will just be wasted otherwise.

I am all for progress and more choices, but I am not for being forced to limit my choices because a bunch weak minded people want to force their beliefs on me (PETA). Let the market sort it out. If synthetics are really all of that and bag of chips natural hair brushes will faze out eventually by the change of demand.

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs011: I’m with Primo on this one. Synths can lather just as well but it’s all about the feel for me. I prefer the feel of a badger with soft tips or a well broken in boar. My usual travel brush is a synth.

mantic, bayercy, brit and 7 others like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Keun ma-eum-eun da biseus hane. (Courtesy: Google Translate)

brit, MR41, BigD and 1 other person like this.
  14. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

:happy088:

brit, BigD and RyX like this.
  15. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Nice article. I have the original Plisson and, after trying a few others, it remains my favorite. Most complaints I read about the Plisson related to its lack of "backbone," which is the characteristic I liked most about it. I face lather and prefer a brush that easily splays. But then, I also used Vulfix Super Badger brushes for over 2o years, the poster-brush for "floppy."

bayercy, brit, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I use my Tuxedo synthetic knot when I want a quick and easy shave. I've had a couple of earlier generation synths that I didn't like and passed on, but the Tuxedo is a keeper. No pre-soaking of the knot is required, and it dries quickly. It does a good job; however, I get a better lather (the way I like it, anyway) and a more enjoyable shaving experience when I use a natural hair brush. I will pre-soak a natural hair brush, so the process takes a few minutes longer. When I'm not pressed for time in the morning, this is how I like to shave.

Traveling with a synthetic is less troublesome. I wouldn't feel bad about packing a damp synthetic brush in the suitcase. I always dislike packing a damp natural hair brush. But as a morning shaver, sometimes you have no choice. I've got a nice floppy little Kent BK4 badger that's losing hairs now because I've repeatedly abused it on trips. It still does a great job, and I plan to take it with me on my next trip. :)

Bottom line for me is that it's hard to beat a simple $10 Omega boar brush. It's not the prettiest brush in town, it stinks terribly when new, and it takes awhile to break in. Once broken in, though, it's a great performer. In my very limited experience, this is best brush for the money on the planet. There may be some synths out there that come close or even surpass it, but I'm not inclined to search for one. This is a good discussion, and I can tell a lot of folks here prefer synths over natural hair brushes for a lot of different reasons.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    9nein9, bayercy, brit and 5 others like this.
  17. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I have an Envy Silvertip, and I enjoy all 9 of my synthetics more.

BigD, 9nein9, bayercy and 3 others like this.
  18. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Yup.

brit, Hembree and Primotenore like this.
  19. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I have a CH2 in Super. When I bought it I thought it was the end of using my synths, but that has not been the case. They all lather very well, but I have to admit that I really like the face feel of the super badger. I also like the fact that the Simpson has very good heat retention.

BigD, bayercy, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  20. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

I'm still searching synthetics for a great brush that is equal, or better than, my Rooney Silvertip or Shavemac Silvertip. But synthetics have come a long way, & I have no problem using them in my rotation along with my Silvertips. I'm especially enjoying my newest synthetic, a 21mm Muhle synthetic silvertip. There's a difference between it & my real silvertips, but it's a very nice brush, IMHO.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    BigD, 9nein9, bayercy and 1 other person like this.