How do you Get a Close Shave when you have brisk whiskers, sensitive skin and take blood thinners?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Shoebooty, May 19, 2019.

1. Shoebooty

Shoebooty Member

This seems to be a weird question to ask, but I'm sure their are a few of guy out here that may ask the same question. for my self I find that I have a very brisk (BARB WIRE ) whisker growth that is rough but I also have sensitive skin and I find it hard to get a close shave because of my sensitive skin especially under the chin & neck. so when shaving I can't get that close enough shave like the kind every one want to get that (BBS) shave with out the skin irritation ,,,,,(plus I also take blood thinners because of heart issue so at times bleeding can be an issue with nicks weepers and the skin irritation. ,,,,,,,,,
    I was just curious how many others out here have the same problem or maybe take blood thinners like Warfarin or Coumadin and bleed easy ?
    If their are other that deal with this kind of issue and can get a close comfortable shave tell us about it I'm sure others like my self would like to know. Also what type beard growth do you have, do you have the sensitive skin with the rough BARB WIRE beard growth, what razor and blade combo have you found that works for you with this type of issue ?

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'd try blade buffing with a mild razor to begin with, then work up in aggression if needed.

Frijolero and BamaT like this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Maybe try Magic Shave?

Frijolero and gorgo2 like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It's all about technique. Angle and pressure. That is the magic bullet. Learn your beard growth....use a shallow angle with light pressure. Forget about BBS (it does not last anyway right). A good lather and solid technique.... perfect solution.

5. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I don't have a heavy beard, but my neck would get irritated going against the grain so I settled for a 2-pass shave. It's not BBS, but you couldn't tell the difference after an hour anyway.

MacDaDad, Frijolero and brit like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hey Shoe
    Terry here, I'm on blood thinners, been on them for over 2 years, been wet shaving for over 1 year. I have the same issues iron whiskers, tender skin. I have been slowly learning to shave without issues. Using different razors and blade I am getting great shaves and no issues like uh blood.
    I now use razors and blades that are high on the so called agressive side. I took my time, and learned how to shave and not nick myself. Go slow and keep a styptic pencile around.
    The most importaint think I found is to learn good technique, and proper pre shave preperation. A good slick soap like PAA or Stirling is a great help too.
    But above all.... take your time.
    IF you get nervous, might try a cart that doesn't nick you so easy, good prep and soap is still a good ideal.
    Good luck!
    tp

7. Shoebooty

Shoebooty Member

blue panasonic shaver.jpg cool thanks to everyone who has replied back ,,, yes I think a lot has to do with not taking my time and still working on my technique with a few new razors and different blades. . I'm really not a fan of cartridge razor with the outrageous prices they want for them these days it ridiculous, Also if I don't wet shave I will occasionally use my,,,, Blue Panasonic ES8243 wet/dry electric shaver as pictured to the top left,,,, for a good quick shave, but you just cant compare it to a good old vintage wet shave style of shave, their is just some thing in a guys DNA to get a good shave !!!!

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Frijolero, Terry and wristwatchb like this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:signs011: I took blood thinners for six months, and I continued to shave with DEs and a shavette during that time. I can't say it any better than Terry. Take your time, focus on technique, and don't get overly concerned with chasing BBS. You'll be amazed at the progress you make over a relatively short period of time...and close, comfortable shaves will become the norm. Best of health to you! :happy088:

Frijolero likes this.
  9. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

:signs011:

Frijolero, brit and Shaver X like this.
  10. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

The posts about technique are right. On blood thinners or not, good technique is key, but especially so if you are on blood thinners.

It might help to have a styptic pencil. A My Nik Is Sealed or Pacific Shaving Nick Stick can be used if you don't want to use a styptic pencil.

https://www.italianbarber.com/collections/alum
    https://shavenation.com/products/my-nik-is-sealed-nick-sealer
    https://www.target.com/p/pacific-shaving-co-nick-stick-liquid-roll-on-0-25oz/-/A-16601051

In addition, an alum block is always handy to have. If you have irritation after shaving, it will make your face burn, but only for a second. After that, the stinging and irritation will go away and you are good to go. An alum block should also take care of weepers.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  11. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Sounds great Shoe!
    Propper preshave prep.
    Sharp blade.
    Take your time!
    Take your time to learn how, your speed will come with practice, holding the razor correctly will become a reflex that will just happen.
    Read up on "riding the cap" this helped me more than anything.
    Good luck Shoe!
    tp

Frijolero and 178-bplatoon like this.
  12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I take blood thinners also best to just forget about BBS. I always strive for an irritation/nick free DFS. Good prep, lather finding the proper blade razor combo and angle(there can be more than one) that works for your face is important(plus its fun to try different razors and blades) along with good technique which IMO is critical has helped me in my quest for a close, pleasant shave.. :happy088:

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I'm going to offer another option. Focus Dynamic R48. I do not have the hair structure you described, but folks that do have used them. If you load a blade in this tool correctly, I don't think you can cut yourself. I do have sensitive skin and never get irritation. It does the skin stretching and always presents the blade to the skin at the correct angle.

20180411_205021-1.jpg

For what it is worth, I mostly shave open edge and the only thing that I find outshaves it is a shavette (except the one area I haven't figured out how to get to). I 'rarely' cut myself, but usually bleed nice (aspirin therapy) when I do.

The best technique teacher is edge forward shaving IMO.

I figure if you want to go 'safety' then go safety, why fool around.

*self edit to remove my sarcasm.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  14. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Only $50...
    Might have one soon.
    Thanks!

15. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I also agree that technique would help. But if you want to use a milder razor until you get the proper technique, maybe the following would work for you. A Gillette Blue Tip, Rockwell 6C with plates 1 or 2, any adjustable on the lowest settings and gradually move up or any razor using a DE89 type head. There are more, but those are what I have and use. I have sensitive skin and course hair and it was technique that helped me and it was the Gillette Slim, my first DE razor, which helped me develop it. I now use it, and other Gillette adjustables, on settings 7 or 8, depending on my mood and beard. And if needed, use a pre-shave oil to help, it's also what I used when I started shaving with DE razors. This is just my two cents worth.

16. Edison Carter

You are correct, I will edit. I do have shortcomings.

Frijolero, Terry and brit like this.
  17. Edison Carter

For what it is worth, I recently picked up my DE89 for somewhat of a MAYhem shave using an industrial AccuTec DE blade. I actually wound up with a pretty decent shave.

What I learned was that it seemed more difficult to get close and required me to always be 'on angle' and, at times requiring buffing actions to maintain. I also wanted to press down which I already know is irritating. I have cut myself with the DE89.

The difference with the R48 is it is designed to have pressure applied. The only time I was injured using it was when I had not loaded it correctly.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Also not sure what razor you use. I prefer something with more blade feel. Like a MicroMatic. The open comb is just awesome and it is as simple as running the head flat on the face. Let me know if you would like to try one

19. Shoebooty

Shoebooty Member

WOW, I just want to thank all of you for replying back, well I do have the alum block & styptic pencil on hand and been using the parker 26C Open Comb & Astra greens/the USA made personas and a tub of RazoRock Mudder Focker soap (what a name) waiting on some RazoRock XXX which should be here Friday, and I find the combination been working out good for me so far, I find 26c not to aggressive so far other than a couple of nicks that show up after I finish up. I have purchased a Murker 34C but I have not tried it out as of yet it still in the box ,,,,,,,,,,,,any advise on the Murkur 34C & is it a mild or aggressive razor,,,, I've heard good things about the razor so far but have not tried it out yet waiting on the RazoRock XXX got it from amazon for $10 free shipping & RazoRock Don Marco for $7.46 free shipping. I have never tried either of these soaps as of yet but U can't beat the Price with free shipping...! here's a link as of 6/5/19 https://www.amazon.com/s?k=razorock+XXX&ref=nb_sb_noss

Shaver X, Edison Carter and Terry like this.
  20. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

This is wonderful shoe!
    Keep up the good work, if you practice you woll get better and better. Stirling soap is a good soap but pricey. Best thing is to get a sample of stirling soap. PAA is a good soap but again pricey compaired to what you are getting right now.
    I like RR Mudder Focker, it's a great soap for the price.
    tp
    tp

Edison Carter likes this.