Todays Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Preacher, May 19, 2019.

1. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

On other forums I used to see people post asking what is your favorite or best-performing soap. I have attempted to think about all of my soaps to try to determine if one is better than the other. My current soaps (all in rotation) are:

MdC Argrumes
    Wholly Kaw Project Leather
    Wholly Kaw King of Oud
    Barrister & Man Reserve Classic
    Barrister & Man Seville
    Barrister & Man Patches
    Barrister & Man Behold the Whatis
    Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars
    Razorock What the Puck
    Razorock Santa Maria Del Fiori
    Razorock The Dead Sea
    Olio Caribbean Dream
    Chiseled Face Cedar and Spice
    Grooming Dept. Citric
    Stirling Executive Man
    Stirling Satsuma

I just received and have yet to shave with:
    Noble Otter Flying Hide
    Caties Bubbles Connecticut Shade
    Barrister & Mann Cologne Russe

All of these soaps perform excellently for me. I have a really hard time picking one soap as being better than another. Today's artisans are really on top of their game. The various soaps are so good that when I purchase a new soap, I never worry about performance anymore. Since I like scents, I'm always looking for soaps that smell good. From the 3pk What the Puck at (at .$8.99 it is the best bang for the buck that I have found) to MdC I enjoy them all. I even have one that I'm not fond of the scent of, but it is still an excellent performer. Am I the only one who feels that soaps these days are generally excellent??

RyX, Yehuda D, lightcs1776 and 2 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I too would have a hard time picking my favorite soap. But there are two that definitely would top the list. Tabac and vintage Klar perform equally for me, with the advantage of scent going to Tabac, only because of the Klar being 30+ years old and the plastic wrap was ripped.

brit and Yehuda D like this.
  3. Preacher

I would love to find that truly outstanding soap, (not that I would ditch all others) so I guess I have to keep searching :)

brit, Yehuda D and Paul Turner like this.
  4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have been using Tabac exclusively for the last three months. The main reason why is I am trying to use up the last of the puck so I can drop my refill into the jar.

But then I found my home made shave stick in an old Brut deodorant container...

5. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Jeeves of Hudson Street. I do believe this has become my Holy Grail. I'll use something else and then the next time immediately go back to Jeeves.

brit, jimjo1031 and Paul Turner like this.
  6. Preacher

...added to the list of soaps to get.

7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Good soap.

Paul Turner and brit like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

jeeves is awesome soap..i love the barbershop scent..

Paul Turner likes this.
  9. Preacher

So I guess you enablers know that this has been added to the list for my next soap order. sheeeesh!!!

MacDaDad, Paul Turner and brit like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

enablers? who us? ENABLERS R US..:)

MacDaDad and Paul Turner like this.
  11. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Inconceivable! It should be on your current soap order!

12. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

That’s what I’ve been doing with Cella recently. I figure if you keep going back to a soap it might be one of your favorites.

COMPNOR and brit like this.
  13. Jesseix

Jesseix Active Member

It does seem like there are just so many good soaps nowadays. I've seen the phrase "soap singularity" being thrown around, and some of the soaps that are out now perform so well that it doesn't really seem like improvements will be very noticeable.
    I do wonder if it will make soap artisans less motivated to continue to innovate, since that requires time/effort/money.

14. Preacher

The only reason it's on the next order is because I just received my current order a few days ago (4 soaps).

brit likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

moon soaps now in canada ,awesome..

16. Preacher

I don't think that soap makers will stop innovating. Doing so is as much a marketing tool as anything else. Buyers respond when a well-known maker's news that he is close to releasing a new formula. I know that I'm guilty of such. When B&M announced the release of the new base, I couldn't wait to try it out, even though I have used soaps with the previous base and found them excellent.

brit likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

it is a fine line between many soaps these days.and i only have so many..i tend to choose on scent these days..by the time i use what i already have there will be many more or many less,but i will only replace what i really like..

18. Preacher

So true, brit. When ordering soaps, I'm almost NEVER concerned about performance, only whether I will like the scent. But I have to admit that Noble Otter was great.

19. brit

brit in a box

yes sir it is..:)

20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I’m not exactly objective, but my favorite is Sara’s Creations (the stuff I make.) My husband likes it in Lavender- I just made him some. I like it scented with a blend of lavender, eucalyptus and spearmint.

Last edited: May 24, 2019