Clubman Users.....

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by poppi, May 26, 2019.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

What are your favorites? They have quite a selection and I know there are many who use these product so list the ones you like folks.

1. I really like the original Clubman scent. Time tested, enduring and just plain smells good
    2...……..

Well, it would be easier to say I don't care for any Bay Rum so that's out. I don't care for the Special Reserve though my wife does. And haven't tried Lilac Vegetal.

The rest are great and I like them a bunch.

What say you folks?

2. brit

brit in a box

original, special reserve and lime sec..have the lilac vegetal but not sure yet.want to try the lime musk and vanilla..

johnnyflake and Paul Turner like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

1. Original
    2. Special Reserve
    3.****

****-the only other one I have is Reserve Gent's Gin, but as I've described in previous posts, my preference was Whiskey Woods(which was sold out at the time). Gent's Gin is all right, but I think I'd like the WW better. I'll have to come back to this post for #3. I will throw in that I love the Country Club shampoo.

AGHisBBS, johnnyflake and brit like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Original is best...then musk...then the Veg..then citrus musk...then special reserve... that is how I feel today.

NTR, brit, johnnyflake and 5 others like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Veg over Special Reserve? I'll get back to you another day for how you feel THEN :)

johnnyflake, brit and Rob206 like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Some days SR is second in line. The original is always first though.

johnnyflake, brit, Leclec13 and 3 others like this.
  7. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

the bay rum I like

Paul Turner, brit and johnnyflake like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

It doesn't work for everyone, but Clubman is my standard for the wide category called "barbershop". I have found Canoe to be very similar, and the AS & Cologne sets are sometimes available post holiday, or in discount stores.

Depending on the shave soap I've used - other Pinaud products in my Den in no particular order;

Special Reserve - that's a Manly leather scent! Indiana Jones ;)
    Whiskey Woods - kind of weak, good for a short scent duration.
    Lime Sec - It's lime. Not expensive, so I can use it with abandon.
    Citrus Musk - Last longer than Lime Sec, but very similar.
    The Veg - I'm Chosen, but don't use it often. Need a lilac soap...
    &
    Osage Rub - Occasionally I'll use it by itself, but more often in conjunction with other non-menthol post shave products. Goes especially well with M&L Florida Water.

I'm not a fan of the clove scent in most Bay Rums, so I haven't tried VIBR. Don't have any vanilla soaps so there's another I haven't purchased.

9. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

you dont choose ....the veg chooses you

its tie between orginal and special reserve... i think special reserve lasts longer and works better with my chemistry

i'm a chosen one so veg is in 3rd place by a hair... i go through my phases with it... but now that it is getting hot I am subconsciously reaching for it more often

I think musk is next purchase for me.

No vanilla fans?

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    johnnyflake, brit and RyX like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 16.22.14.png Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 16.22.02.png
    Pairs PERFECTLY w/The Veg.

Droo78, Paul Turner, brit and 2 others like this.
  11. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

:signs021: I may have to try that combo out one of these days

brit likes this.
  12. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Well I'm about to make waves here again, I have to put Gents Gin over the original. To my nose it pairs better and lasts just as long .

brit, johnnyflake, Leclec13 and 2 others like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks Joseph! I only have one Mystic Water soap, but I do like how it performs. As I learn my preferences to scent and soaps I'm slowly filling in the missing pieces.

And your personal chemistry. Same scent can smell different on others. Then there's your nose and brains interpretation of the possible multiple oils or chemicals used to make the scent. That's why there are so many companies making not just soaps and post shave products, but multiple scents in each. You (and your S.O.) have to like it. Doesn't matter so much what other's opinions are.

14. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Original
    Reserve
    Citrus Musk
    VI Bay Rum

steve207 and brit like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

the wife says the veg smells good on me..so i guess i am chosen, but i 'm not really a flower scent guy..prefer leather, woods ,citrus /aquatics..

RyX and johnnyflake like this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Droo78, Primotenore, RyX and 2 others like this.
  17. Paul Turner

Your Special Reserve comment gave me a good lead on getting a leather shave soap from a company that doesn't have aftershaves. SR would presumably be a great match with the soap. Thanx. @RyX

johnnyflake, RyX and brit like this.
  18. Paul Turner

For me it's a seasonal issue with those two. While I like the scent of the Original better-it isn't something I'd use on a hot, humid day. That kind of day, Gent's Gin works better. In the cold months Original's my baby(in comparing those two).

19. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Only got 3...but my fav in order are...
    1/ Special Reserve
    2/ The Veg
    3/ Virgin Islands Bay Rum.

Will be trying lime sec soon.

20. Paul Turner

Robert, I might indulge in one of the lime ones, for summer use. Not sure which one though.

johnnyflake, RyX and brit like this.