Arkansas Convex Hone

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Edison Carter, May 3, 2019.

1. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

I ordered a few zy’s. Never showed up and the bay refunded my money. I heard they are better than GD. No stabilizers and decent steel . I don’t remember paying $25. I thought they were less. Looking forward to hearing more on the “make up tool”

2. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I started out open shaving some time ago but the straights were dull and the shoulder slowed me down.
    I am now starting to try to ignore the shoulder and have a better shavette (doodad) that works good
    considering my skill level. I always use a new blade, it just seems to work better that way.
    I don't push the blades, that is when I get into trouble and either nick myself or get a bad burn.
    Thanks for the info, so far it is the easiest blade I have used so far.
    tp

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've acquired a few, and from what I remember, they were $7-12 each, including shipping. I don't see any on eBay or Amazon now, for some reason. That is possibly why he paid more.

Keithmax and Leclec13 like this.
  4. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

It sounds like we are traveling similar paths. You are out ahead of me for sure though.

Done times this hobby reminds me a little of golf where, nobody shot an 18 yet!

Keithmax likes this.
  5. Edison Carter

This was marketed as honed to be shave ready. I think I saw them for less not carrying that statement.

Keithmax likes this.
  6. Edison Carter

Was marked as having been honed. I figure that I'd either get a straighter one or get some visuals to educate myself. Turns out it surprises me.

Doesn't mean a thing though unless I figure out how to get my own edge.

Keithmax likes this.
  7. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Since lapping techniques has changed with convex ark, Do ou find you need 3 inch wide hone/stone? Or do you think 2 inch will be fine?

8. Edison Carter

I'm glad I got a 3" only because there will be no more. I'd suggest one of the narrower, since the contact points (spine and edge) are more isolated by intent. Hope to get more experience soon.
    Bottom line... I cannot yet hone as well as someone who does hundreds or thousands of razors.
    For a perfectly flat razor my inclination would be flattened stones.

DaltonGang, Leclec13 and brit like this.
  9. DaltonGang

You will also find that a flattened stone will work perfectly fine with non flat razors too.

Leclec13 likes this.
  10. Edison Carter

Loads of folks do very well.
    Requires a little more skill to do so in my experience. I have not reached that level yet for razors with issues.
    I'm going to work that bent up gold dollar on the flats and see how it goes.
    I have read too many comments about the inexperienced 'Harry Home Honer' types who damage razors because they do know what they are doing. I even saw a popular video showing how to tape an edge so the spine could be ground down flat. I just wanted to try to avoid wrecking my stuff.

DaltonGang, Terry and Leclec13 like this.
  11. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

When you get a good sharp blade please let me know. Been trying here but not a good sharp blade. Mine will cut the hairs in half on my arm, but still pulls on the skin.
    May have to get a 12,000 grit stone.
    Got a 8000 for now.
    tp

Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  12. Edison Carter

I have a 12k.
    I don't think they are a magic bullet either.
    Pros just get better results with whatever it is they use. That is why they are pros.

DaltonGang and Terry like this.
  13. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Ok thanks Bill
    Maybe I'm expecting to much for me to free hand a razor. I like Real sharp blades.
    tp

14. Edison Carter

I'm not going to stop trying yet, but after finding a $20 shavette that outshaves every straight I've ever used I'm not likely to stay 'in play' on stone purchases.

Glad I have a set of Naniwas. Glad I have the Convex Arkansas. Glad I have the straights I have.

Back in time, I spent uncountable hours in a saddle. Highly unlikely a newbie could match my skills on a horse no matter how many videos he watched. Same thing.

I figure if I'm going to get there honing, I gotta do the saddle time.

15. basil

basil Well-Known Member

I ordered one of these convex arks. Should be here this week I think.

Leclec13, Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  16. Edison Carter

Here is a little something you may find interesting on sharp blades.

Just like sharper knives are easier to use, so are razors IMO.

Keithmax and Terry like this.
  17. Edison Carter

Hope you like it.

What configuration did you get.

basil likes this.
  18. basil

basil Well-Known Member

I got the small 6x2 I’m not a fan of the bigger hones. And it was mostly because I was curious to try it. Figured if I don’t like it I can flatten the other side and just use it regularly.

Leclec13, Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  19. DaltonGang

Looks impressive, at the start, until you look at the thickness of the hair. It looks like possibly Boars Hair, or Horse Hair. Try that with fine human hair.

Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  20. Edison Carter

I've seen a number of this type of video over the years. I don't think all of the ones I've seen are with animal hair though. Most are done on a Wicked Edge knife sharpener using Shapton's. Of course, a full set of Shaptons and a Wicked Edge will set you back a few grand.

And remember, I am a guy who can't even do a simple HHT right with a brand new Feather DE blade.

Knives are so much simpler than razors. If I get a knife to shred paper, slice tomatoes and bread without effort and I call them done.

Keithmax likes this.