Drug stores are catching up to us...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rusty blade, May 27, 2019.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

There was a time long long ago when local drug stores actually stocked shaving gear. Everything from DE razors, to soap and a multitude of AS and ASB products. I remember those days. And then the long drought came upon us and the drugstores cornered us into buying canned goo and carts...and dispensed with the DE and soaps, brushes and AS and ASBs. Those were dark days indeed.

But recently I have been noticing that drug stores are stocking wet-shaving supplies. A local drugstore I happened upon yesterday stocked the full line of Clubman aftershaves and the Wilkinson DE razor...and actual DE blades! The Shoppers Drug Mart chain in Canada has been stocking Proraso products for some time now and recently added Hawkins and Brimble shaving cream and ASB. And they are also stocking Omega boar brushes. All I can say is...its about time!

What are you finding at your local drug / department store?

2. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Not sure where you live but the drug stores where I live don't stock anything but carts and canned cream.
    You might get a razor blade if they aren't out of them, they normally stock at least two packs of them.
    You can buy a cheap shaving soap but find a brush to use it with will force you to amazon or the like. Yea well, if I don't bring what I need, I dont have it. Ok so I'm 150 miles from home and still couldn't find a razor to use. I looked at some places like you said, but came up empty.
    I did find the gillette tube of shaving cream I wanted to try, but that's as close as I got.
    Well maybe in 1950 I could have found them.
    So yes I brought mine with me.
    Mst be nice
    Enjoy
    tp

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've had conversation with several Ladies Beauty Supply store employees. I try to spur them into dedicating more than two cubic feet of their entire store to Men's products. No luck yet. Here in South West Louisiana Pinaud products are readily available. Sometimes DE blades but not much selection. The Kroger grocery chain has cycled through several Cremo scents. Generally slim pickins if I wanted to gather a kit for a Newbie outside of my own gear.

4. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Most drugstores and even grocery stores will carry Nivea shaving products...so all is not lost.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  5. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

I have a drugstore here that is a little old school. They carry Burmashave brushes at times but that’s it. Believe it or not my grocery store carries Williams pucks.

6. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I can still find the original Wilkinson Sword blades, as well as both options of the Van Der Hagen shave combos. Both the one with the blue bowl, and the one with the black bowl. As well as Williams.

When I am in that town, I buy everything the have, in hopes of them ordering more.

7. brit

brit in a box

that'a shame sir.. in canada now they are stepping up recently..

8. brit

brit in a box

pacific shaving cream here as well..

9. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Around here, CVS stocks house-brand SE & DE blades, Nivea, Neutragena & VDH.
    Target, Christmas Tree Shoppe, Wegman's & Walmart each have a few items.

But, strangely, the best selection is at an architectural salvage place called Historic House Parts: Omega, PAA, Cella, THayer's, Humphrey's, Valobra, EJ.

10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I see a few VanDerHagen shave soaps in my local CVS.

11. brit

brit in a box

would love to see wilkinson aftershave here..

Hembree, ordinaryshaver and BigD like this.
  12. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Here in Philadelphia my local Dollar Zone store sells Wilkinson Sword blades for a buck a 5 pack. My CVS has VDH products and bottles of Clubman Pinaud.

13. Paul Turner

I think Clubman has been a staple at most drug stores. I will say that the Original is the only aftershave I've seen, though.

14. beemers

beemers New Member

Darn since the stores trained me so well to buy my shaving products on line, I will continue to do so.

Terry likes this.
  15. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Here we have Nivea shave cream and balms ; Aqua Velva blue, musk, and ice; Skin Bracer; Williams; Wilkinson sword blades( very expensive); Omega boar brush; Proraso green and white . Wish they stocked SE blades but can't complain since they are at least stocking some stuff. Our Walmart has cut back on wet shave supplies but sells the Wilkinson sword TTO.

brit and Paul Turner like this.
  16. Paul Turner

Is there Clubman?

9nein9 likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

:signs011: and pacific shaving co. products as well..

9nein9 likes this.
  18. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

No,not in drugstores but Sally beauty supplies sells Clubman products. Always stocked and it does sell here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2019
    brit likes this.
  19. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

As a general rule, traditional wetshaving product availability where I am increased from 2007 until about three years ago, and then decreased. There are many new shaving products and brands in the drugstores, but many are not what would be considered "traditional wetshaving". Keeping in mind, of course, that wetshaving software from 1950-2005 usually with meant canned foam or gel, one razor and no brush. Many of the drugstores now sell mostly shaving creams and gels in a tube from brands such as Duke Cannon, Cremo, Neutrogena, Nivea, Bulldog, and Every Man Jack. Most are not traditional shaving products, and none are a great value for the money. Some of these brands also make facial scrub, aftershave balm, face wash, face cream, beard wash, beard balm, etc. It is these non-shaving cream products that take up the majority of the shelf space. Of course, the canned gels/foams and cartridge razors are still omnipresent.

The tiny independent drugstore near me sells both Williams shaving soap and safety razors. The safety razors look like the ones Van Der Hagen sold, but are a different brand.
    Whole Foods sells Kiss My Face, Pacific Shaving, Every Man Jack and Bulldog shaving creams, and Badger shaving cream and soap. Of course, there is always the nearby Art of Shaving, with its excellent and very pricey products. I got into traditional shaving to save money, and so seldom go there. There is a Target nearby, but I go there infrequently, and so cannot comment on their shaving products lineup. As long as I have Kiss My Face, I am fine. The blades I can order online, and I already have razors and brushes.

Edit: My bad, the Walgreens once again has double edge blades, and also sells Pacific Shaving and Bulldog shaving creams. The creams are expensive, though.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    9nein9 and brit like this.
  20. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Same here . The new creams are in tubes and way to pricey for me . Every man Jack and Bulldog are newcomers in our drugstores . Dont seem to be big sellers though .Williams and Proraso look like the biggest movers.

Shaver X and brit like this.