Boker king cutter

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DPS, May 29, 2019.

1. DPS

DPS New Member

New member. Was recently gifted a new boker king cutter. With so much information online, it's hard to decide how to get started.

Along with my razor, I have a 2" strop with smooth leather on one side and I believe cotton on the other. The razor comes "shave ready" so I assume that there is no need to set a bevel? What steps should I take from here to get it more shave ready? Do I need to just strop it or should I hone on a stone as well as strop?

Barely any hairs on my arm were cut when I tested it. Is a 4/8k grit stone for me? What about a 12k? I'm also curious if I am able to use chromium oxide on my strop (again cotton/smooth leather). Please let me know if there is anything else I should look into.

Thank you!

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Was it "shave ready" from the factory or does the shop you got it from employ an actual person who has experience honing?

Very few 'shave ready' razors from even top tier brands are actually shave ready from the factory.

3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I absolutely love my Boker King Cutter. I would never assume it is shave ready. If it shaves great for you, then it is shave ready for you (I have a heavy beard that needs a sharp razor). The Boker should hone easily, or at least mine does. It sounds like you have a good starting strop, better than what I started out with anyway. Take your time and every shave will improve.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Billyfergie and DPS like this.
  4. DPS

DPS New Member

It was unopened when I got it. The "shave ready" comes from the description off of the boker website.

Billyfergie and brit like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Dont believe everything you read. You need to send it out, to have it properly honed. No ifs ands or buts.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The good news is that boker makes a good straight razor. The bad news is that your razor is not shave ready. You will need to send it out to be professionally honed.

You can hone it yourself, once you learn how, but your first straight razor is not what you want to learn on. Once it's honed properly, and if you strop it correctly, it should keep its edge for at least six months.

At that time you can decide if you want to invest in the tools you'll need for honing. If you enjoy straight razor shaving, you'll probably have a few more razors by then too.

*"Shave Ready" is the biggest lie put on the internet by the big straight razor manufacturers. The only straight razors that come shave ready are from the small/custom razor manufacturers like Portland Razor Co. or Hart Razors.

DPS, gssixgun, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:
    I recommend sending it to Glen @gssixgun post haste.

8. shadowman12

shadowman12 Member

Shave ready is very subjective, some factories grind it up to 8k, and I like for example when it is grinded up to 12k/20k. I refresh my razor on my Naniwa 12k and 20k stone(Suehiro Gokumyo 20k)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Keithmax and lightcs1776 like this.
  9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

A Shave Ready SR Should Shave Like this..It Wont be Proper Shave Ready from the Factory..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016: