Razor Handles & Head Shaving

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Vlasta, May 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    HI fellow shavers - designing a handle especially for head shavers. Whats the consensus - handles shorter or longer than a regular handle? fatter or thinner ?

RyX, Terry and brit like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I seriously doubt you'll find any consensus but I prefer 80mm-ish and medium width for traditional typev- see Karve and ATT -- but more ergonomic designs like the Enders Speed work just fine too.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    PatrickA51, gwsmallwood, RyX and 3 others like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

What matters is how it ballances the head. If the razor is heavy you need a long heavy handle. If the razor is light say made of bakelite or aluminum the handle is not much of an issue.
    tp

brit, RyX and Vlasta like this.
  4. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    This is my first attempt. Fat @ 18mm and long at 100+ - anyone liking this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    stanko, RyX and Terry like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Not for me. Fat and long tend to be too heavy for my taste, and too difficult to adjust grip without causing unwanted change in pressure on my head. Aluminum maybe but as stated long handles don't suit me generally.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Head shaving in my den.

I use a light razor or an over ballanced razor*. A light razor will lessen scraping the top of your head. When you have your arm over your head there is less control making a heavy razor scrape the top if you have the angle slightly off. You can also use an over balanced razor ( * I just made that term up ) a razor with a very heavy handle makes it easy to ballanced out the weight of the head making for less pressure on the blade for a easier shave.
    The ones I use are bakelite or aluminum razors. Long heavy handle razors work great if the handle balances out the weight of the head. But they aren't my first choice.
    tp

brit likes this.
  7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I agree completely, though my tastes run similar the yours. I prefer around 80mm, medium width, and medium weight, such as the Fatboy, Fatip Grande, or the ATT Atlas.

brit likes this.