2019 Traveling Box Tour Round Two

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by stingraysrock, May 24, 2019.

1. brit

brit in a box

i have been following along .very cool guys..i will continue to watch at present time..i will research the idea though.. at present i am sorry to say ,i don't have anything to put back in the box..my apologies gents..there IS talk of a few of us getting together here soon..:)

Hembree, Enrico and RyX like this.
  2. moardie

moardie New Member

I am interested in this box idea.

brit, Hembree and RyX like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

It is a cool thing, right? Among active, long standing members in a trusted position there is an extension of trust that allows a collection of gear to be shared. Considering your stats, I'm not sure you could be included in this current Box without being vouched by another member. Nothing personal you understand? The Initiator of each Box starts the process by handing his gear to the participants with the understanding that at the end of the line he receives The Box back as his to keep. There's a level of trust. And it's been breached more than once in the past by unscrupulous characters that received a Box and dropped off the forum, never to be seen or heard from ever again.

On the up side, if you go back and read the other thread (pre Round Two) there's talk about at the end of Round One splitting off some of the gear into a Newbies Box. That would be the lesser type supplies and gear that, should it get swiped, wouldn't hurt the feelings of the participants so much.

brit, gorgo2 and Hembree like this.
  4. moardie

moardie New Member

Sorry I should have been more clear in my post. I have extra gear that I would like to contribute to a box. I will go back and read the post.

brit, RyX and Hembree like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Just to be clear, and I don't need to speak for Ryx, but he's talking about how a few years back we allowed a newb with (as I recall) a barely minimal post count to participate. He talked a real good game...right up until tracking showed he got the Box. Then he immediately ghosted and was never heard from again. Wouldn't answer his phone, nothing.

I think I can speak for the others that the biggest pain wasn't the theft itself -- it was just stuff -- but that it discouraged participation in the Box for a good while (my own included). We got burned and didn't want to trust anyone new to the board, the very guys who we DO want involved as much if not more than anyone.

Measures are now in place to prevent it happening again. Like Ryx said, it's nothing personal. We don't know you. It's just business. I'm sure you understand.

brit and RyX like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

It's all good. I got a little wordy, but wanted you to understand the complexity and nuance, along with the risk and reward for being either the Originator or a Participant.
    Early on in the discussion (previous thread), I noted that a Pass Around is a Member driven activity. There's not official involvement or liability incurred by TSD. I've been offering my assistance as a Member who's experienced a Pass Around and had fun. If you wish to start one, please do! You can set the Rules, choose your Participants, decide what type or quality of Gear, etc. Assuming a completed program you'd be the final receiver with possibly wholly different gear that's all yours to keep.

brit and gorgo2 like this.
  7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I’ve already got a pile going for round 2! I’m looking forward to it!

RyX, gorgo2 and Enrico like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Same here! :D

RyX and MR41 like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've waded through my stuff for the move and found I have more than I can possibly fit in this round, so I might as well get in on the next one. Ebay is too much of a hassle anymore and I don't want to pitch any of it.

RyX, Jorvaljr and brit like this.
  10. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Lol care to trade? I can find some stuff to do some trading .

gorgo2, RyX and brit like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

PM me, good sir!

RyX likes this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If stuff is needed, I will be happy just to donate what I have instead of participating. Let us know how you are on stuff for Box 2.

stingraysrock and RyX like this.
  13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Happy Friday From Florida!

Okay, so the box is coming back home soon. The first round went so well that I do want to keep it moving for another round.

I am and have been a one razor, one brush guy for many years now. I started this box to get rid of stuff and still have more to give. I don't know that I will take much from the box other than the Blenheim soap and possibly the gun grip.

While it might be a pain, and unecessary, I do think we need to spawn the box into two.

There were thoughts of an international box, and a newbie box; any other ideas? Perhaps a separate box for each hardware and software type? Or, we could trash some items that nobody wants, like that old wooden figurine neck duster brush I used to seed the box, or other less desirable items?

I think what I will do is gather a bunch more stuff that I no longer use and post a pic of it and then wait for replies as to what the group may or may not want, in addition to what is already in the box.

One thing we could do, to offset the fear of theft from unknown newbies, is require that a cash donation be made to TSD in exchange for a spot on the list, say $25.00? As a show of good faith.

RyX and MR41 like this.
  14. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I’m good with the neck duster getting removed. I thought it was some kind of good luck charm otherwise I would have thrown it away for you.

I’m good with the donation to TSD and would be okay with a slightly lower amount if $25 seems too much for some.

I’m not sure we need two boxes. I was quite happy with one.

RyX and MR41 like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If there's someone who is going to ultimately be donating whatever isn't wanted to charity, assuming charity can use it, please let me know who that will be. I have about 2 lb attract to type cartridges that I will never use.

16. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I vote we keep one box. Throw out stuff no one wants. @stingraysrock you decide what stays and what goes. As far as a show of good faith I don’t believe it will prevent someone from keeping the box. It actually may incentivize them the other direction. I don’t see anything wrong with using a trophy points standard of 93 to weed out PIF hunters. Just my $.02.

RyX, John Beeman and gorgo2 like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I hadn't thought of that but you're right. In the darkened mind of a criminal, he could look upon it as having bought the Box outright.

MR41 and RyX like this.
  18. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Totally ready for round 2!
    I'm glad to be a part of this!!!!
    Have more stuff that I need to go through to get ready!
    Gonna be good stuff.

P.S. still throwing this out there, if you have any unloved SE razors, I'll happily in burden you!

RyX and MR41 like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have it on good authority that there will be several in The Box Part Deux. I saw between 3 & 5, don't have the SE love and passed on them. I think our Benefactor and Box Originator has become a Minimalist and settled on his one razor of choice. Try to get your name high on the list Aaron @ordinaryshaver so you get early pickins!

MR41 and gorgo2 like this.
  20. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I'm not above slipping someone a 20 for the higher ranking LOL!
    If it happens, it happens, if not, I'm not torn up, I'd rather let someone that honestly wants to try one of they want.

RyX and gorgo2 like this.