June 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2019.

?

What "Basics" will you use for "Just the Basics June"?

1. Basic soaps. Arko, Williams, you know, the good stuff.

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Basic razors. Weishi, Techs, Superspeeds, you know, the good stuff.

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Basic brushes. VDH boar, you know, the good stuff.

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Basic aftershaves. Aqua Velva, Clubman, The Veg, you know, the good stuff.

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  5. I'm using a whole bunch of stuff and I don't care if it's basic or not!

27 vote(s)
    64.3%
  6. Straight razors. Basic enough for you?

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  7. Cookies and Ice Cream for me, thank you very much.

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  8. I'll tell you at the meet up. Save me a brush.

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to June 2019!!! To be more specific, it’s JUST THE BASICS JUNE!!! Yeah, I hear a few of you who weren’t around last year asking what in the world that is. Well, think about the razors/soaps/brushes you find in drug stores, discount stores, dollar stores – or that you would expect a rookie to find and start out with. That's the stuff we're talking about.

Also, for 2019 this is MEET UP MONTH! The meet-up is the weekend of the 21st, and if you are one of those lucky people planning to attend just make sure you let me know by PM or that I have you on the list on the meet-up thread. Just want to make sure the head count is accurate. Saturday the 22nd will be our breakfast get together, with the dinner that evening. We will have a limited edition soap from Stirling available for sale there as well as a limited edition brush from @jtspartan. There are only 17 brushes, so they will be available first to those who attend, then the rest will be made available. More on that later. For now let's get to the heart and soul of this group.

Welcome back or welcome for the first time!! Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

HEY! I said pause for revered silence! Ok, now you can proceed.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. If you want to play along with the theme....great! We usually have a lot of fun with that. But, if you are on a Rule or Focus that doesn’t include the theme we’re totally fine with that. Most of all remember – this is about learning to use the tools and improving our skills so that TECHNIQUE TRUMPS TOOLS!!

Here are the rules. Those not following the rules will be subject to penalties to include a visit from Ivan or Igor to correct that stinkin’ thinkin’!

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.

2. Well-seasoned member are, of course, always welcome!
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. This thread is operated for your edification by the Russian Blade Cartel – no, we're not Russian, nor do we actually have a real Cartel (that we'll admit to in the presence of law enforcement) but we do love Russian steel! And recommend it. And shed tears of joy when others sing its praises!
    7. The Yakuza branch of the Cartel are also active and not to be messed with. Their love of Feathers and things like straights, shavettes and other assorted items is to be respected. (At least pretend you like them. It makes them happy).

Let's have some great shaves people! Just the Basics June is here!!! Come on in, grab some cookies and ice cream and let's get started! Group hug people!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

2. brit

brit in a box

hello fello shavers, another open comb month for me i think ,with a tech or two to keep em honest..usual array of soaps and creams..you know,,the good stuff :) happy shaves everyone..may do a tech month also..:)

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'm in for another month!
    I'll be doing Just For Fun June, a totally unfocused focus.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

4. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

That sounds fun! I am in!

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Straight Razors...basically a great choice. :)

6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am in for Just for Fun June. I will use what strikes my fancy.

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm in for Just 4 Fun June!! I'd say my focus for the month will be to put on my "Mad Shaving Scientist" hat and figure out which "fall/winter soaps" I might be able to take through the summer, as well. As you've seen in my posts about this(which must number anywhere from 10-100, lol), there are some that may be comfortable enough for me, others I know wouldn't be. But my main focus for this month, as for ALL months, is to continue the fun I've been having as a TSD member. May all your shaves be somewhat excellent!! :).

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm in with some products purchased locally. There's an aftershave chocked full of green dye that doesn't get much use. Maybe the blue one, too! Got a Focus going with my Chinese kami-shavette that will continue.

9. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

Basic everything but aftershave here (as always so it will be easy)

10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Basics? That's me!

Looking forward to a big month of 30DC!

11. Bama Samurai

AS isn't mentioned in the guidelines. AS for experimentation and variety fully endorsed by 30DC culture. Welcome aboard!

12. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

It is however listed in the poll

For me it will be Arko, Rocket, Omega boar and probably Personna lab blue (haven't decided yet) this month

13. Bama Samurai

Since it's basics, I will second your Arko and use it also.

I will declare:

GSB
    Arko
    @jtspartan Tuxedo in Maple

Still deciding on razor....

14. Bama Samurai

Mennen?

Douglas Carey, Drygulch, RyX and 11 others like this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I posted this over in the meet up thread so the guys coming could get a first peek if they wanted. Here are the meet-up brushes, from the hand of @jtspartan . 18 total, so 17 available not counting mine. (Mine is the one in the center on front row between the handles only. Note the "flayed man" pattern...yeah...some of you will get that reference).

All knots are SynBad from AP Shave Co., the wood is Poculi, and they are gorgeous. Four flat top knots, 2 empty handles for those so inclined, and 12 bulbs. For our Canadian friends, Jason will be able to produce three more to ship to you since he's in Canada. So a total of 21 is the maximum number of these that will exist.

Feast your eyes! If you're coming to the meet up you'll be able to buy one of these at breakfast or dinner. $30 for the brush, or $20 for one of the handles only. After the meet up I'll let everyone know how they can get one if they'd like. These will be sold in the following order:

1. Meet up participants
    2. 30DC members.
    3. Other TSD members.

That is all. I will not make these available to anyone not a member of TSD.

Soap this year is from Stirling and will also be available at the meet up, with Rod bringing them himself! If you have plans to attend, PLEASE let me know by PM or on the meet up thread ASAP!! Right now the group is fairly small but that's OK. More would be perfectly ok too!

Meet up brushes.jpg

16. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Wow! Beautiful!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, 9nein9, Screwtape and 6 others like this.
  17. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Are you a Ramsay Bolton fan? Iwan Rheon who plays Ramsay to me was one of the best actors in the GoT series.
    [​IMG]

Drygulch, 9nein9, brit and 4 others like this.
  18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Confession time - I always did like House Bolton. Roose was quietly sinister yet a perfectly polite Lord. When he wasn't destroying enemies or betraying Rob Stark. And Ramsey - yeah, that was one of the best performances in the whole series. Iwan Rheon is another Jack Gleeson. Absolute gentleman and just an all around good guy in real life, but like Jack played Joffrey, Iwan played Ramsey to absolute perfection. One story I heard him talk about in an interview was a fan who came up to him and said something on the lines of "aren't you that Ramsey guy on GoT". Iwan dropped instantly into character and said....."It's Lord Bolton to you". I can see and hear how he did that and it's hilarious and perfect.

Linuxguile, Drygulch, 9nein9 and 7 others like this.
  19. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

He was a polite Lord. When you said that I remembered this Youtube clip of the "nice" Ramsay.

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, 9nein9 and 4 others like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

I enjoyed him in the British superheros series Misfits.
    (Clip is NOT safe for work, or young children, and contains Spoilers)

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, Screwtape and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.