Let's Talk Arkansas Stones

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Any have comparison between

White translucent vs black translucent

White hard vs black hard

Curious because I heard that some prefer one over the other

ps. Thanks for enabling I see another hole in my wallet on Monday!

2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I'm sure there will be others that can give a more detailed answers but from what I've gathered, there is a color variation in translucent and hard Arks. Don't know if either has more density than the other just based on color.

3. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

From the stone cutters "there is no difference in grit or performance...only color and cost"

Basically the translucent is harder to come by, usually is in smaller sizes...and both black and translucent can have streaks of either translucent or black respectively. My black has a translucent spot one one side but it's almost invisible...I'll never be able to get a pic of it. And it's hard to spot when I'm Looking for it with just my eyes. Translucent in 8x3 or larger are either gone and mined out or don't exist. (I haven't seen any available for purchase)

4. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

:):):)

Edison Carter, Billyfergie and Zykris like this.
  5. Leclec13

http://www.naturalwhetstone.com/productssharpening3.htm has 8x3 trans $150-200

i'm a new convert/believer in the trans ark!!!! (approx. 1400 grit US / 12,000 grit Asian)

i heard someone say that they like the white trans better, because of better feedback?

i currently have to use my regular progression then finish with trans ark to get a great edge, i find the coarse/soft too coarse and too big of jump to go from coarse to trans....

i ordered a hard black today to cover the mid range maybe (approx. 800k US)

above site 3 stone kit says soft (approx 400k) hard (approx. 800) black approx (approx 1200)

is any one using arks exclusively from bevel set to finish? if so what stones are you using?

6. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I use an all Ark progression. Soft, hard and surgical black Ark. Each different grit finishes. Works fine for me. Trying to see if I can justify grabbing a true hard and a translucent but I think with each Ark having different grit finishes, it gets me where I need to get.

Edison Carter and Billyfergie like this.
  7. Leclec13

I see different levels/names / classifications from different web sites/ purveyors (confusing)

My recent understanding is

Coarse
    Hard
    Hard black
    Translucent

(dont even get me started on washita i have a #1 and it feels like 5-8K)

where does surgical black and true hard , black hard fall into this hierarchy?

Edison Carter and Billyfergie like this.
  8. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The Surgical Black I have I Reckon its around a 20 K Finishing Capacity...I have had a Couple of Translucent Arks & the Surgical Black MAY have Just a Finer Finishing Capacity than the Translucent...Maybe..I Use Oil..Bisley Gun Oil..;)

Billy..:chores016:

Edison Carter and DaltonGang like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have heard the same thing, when I researched both the Translucent and the Surgical Black. After reasearch, I went with the Surgical Black. I have no regrets, getting the Surgical Black.

10. basil

basil Well-Known Member

I’ve been lapping the underside of my convex ark. Mostly flat now and I’ve been running some knives over it to smooth it out. Enjoy the edges it gives. Can’t wait to run my razors over it too.

Billyfergie and Edison Carter like this.
  11. Robert1955

I just bought a used black ark from ebay....I have no idea what grit it will be... It looks loke most any other greyish stone but when wet it is high gloss black, it is a 8"X3".... What can i expect

Edison Carter, Zykris and Billyfergie like this.
  12. DaltonGang

Pics!!!!

13. Robert1955

Attached Files:

Timwcic, Zykris and Billyfergie like this.
  14. Robert1955

Another

Attached Files:

Timwcic and Zykris like this.
  15. Robert1955

Another

Attached Files:

Timwcic and Zykris like this.
  16. DaltonGang

Thank you. I feel better now. :bounce015:

Billyfergie and Edison Carter like this.
  17. Leclec13

that picture looks much more promising!

concerned that it is grayish when dry?
    looks like a finisher wet

i'm guessing it is at least a 10K-ish stone

worse case scenario its a fine pre-finisher

let us know how it works out

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Zykris, Edison Carter and Robert1955 like this.
  18. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    New Surgical Black I got in a trade. 8 x 2 x 1/2. Upgrade from the 4 x 2 x 1/2. Now time to lap and finish her up. SiC powder here we come.

19. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    1st pic above. Flattened and lapped to 320. Probably go higher like my other surgical.

[​IMG]

Last pic above. Flattened and lapped to 2000. Not bad on time either. SiC makes it a lot easier.

20. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Nice stone addition. When it comes to lapping, SIC is your best friend

Zykris and Billyfergie like this.