Another Viral Ad from P&G/Gillette

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by MntnMan62, May 29, 2019.

1. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen the latest ad from Gillette and P&G? I'll give my thoughts on it first. All I see is a PERSON who has to shave being taught how to do that by their Dad. Gender doesn't really factor into it. Am I in favor of people changing gender? No. But science and technology have given people the ability to change gender. If someone wants to do that, that is their business. I have no problem with this ad and it won't impact whether I buy Gillette or P&G products in the future. And since GSBs are one of my two or three favorite blades, I'll continue to buy them for the pennies they cost per shave. I don't need to buy carts as I have more than enough to last me for the rest of my life from my cart days as I only use the Mach 3 for travel when carrying on bags. Curious to hear other's thoughts on the latest in the attention getting ads coming from Gillette. And for the record I wasn't bothered by the toxic masculinity ad either. I'm very comfortable in my masculinity and no advertisement is going to change that.

RyX, Shaver X and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

i use vintage gillette razors and their de blades because i like the razors and the blades work well..not because of their ads..i rarely watch any advertisements of any kind any more as i cut cable for that very reason..don't like to pay to watch ads..i am sure i would't have bought more blades or tried new ones because a silly parrot said so or a favorite baseball player endorsed them either..i like the razors and their blades because they work and some models look really cool ..what people do with themselves or their lives is their business .i just trundle along and do my thing..granted , i tried a new deluxe razor because someone said it was a great shave, it is.. but he wasn't trying to sell me one..just my 2 bits..cheers

Queen of Blades and MntnMan62 like this.
  3. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Cultural/Bolshevik Marxism, That is all I am going to say because this forum is not for political discourse.

Paul Turner, BigMike, gorgo2 and 5 others like this.
  4. MntnMan62

And what did you think of that new deluxe razor that someone said was a great shave? ;)

brit likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

i love it..nice gillette,well made and classy looking..and the shave is fantastic,good weight and well balanced..imo..i guess my words and description would be advertizing..or endorsing..:p;)

Shaver X and MntnMan62 like this.
  6. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

Soulless corporations pretending to believe the latest mainstream "ideals" in order to sell things is nothing new

BigMike, BigD, lightcs1776 and 3 others like this.
  7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I agree completely, although Gillette does make separating the two a little difficult when they try to mix politics with shaving and business. Nobody likes some bossypants corporation telling them what to believe, even if they already agree with the values being espoused.

Perhaps their wannabe social justice warrior executives should look in the mirror before preaching to others. Did Gillette ever stop and consider the effect of all the plastics that their discarded products inject into the environment? No? Then they are in no position to tell others what to think. Trashing the environment is also not politically correct, immense profit margins notwithstanding.

IMHO shavers of all sorts would do well to focus on the shave itself, and ignore political shaving ads, preaching, wetshaving dogma, shaving cliques, badly behaved shaving forums, astroturfing, and all the other distractions that are irrelevant to getting great shaves. After all, aren't improved shaves why people come to wetshaving forums in the first place? We can do better, even if P&G can't.

BigMike, Hembree, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

well said sir..:)

jaro, Hembree and Shaver X like this.
  9. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I see Cart ads more and more lately. Looking at that Ad and the other recent ones as ads only. I think Gillette and Schick may be feeling a bit of pressure from Shave Clubs and a second thought of people going back to DE/SE shaving. It could be that they noticed a SLIGHT drop in their bottom line. Some exec might loose their job lol.

brit and Hembree like this.
  10. MntnMan62

I do think there is some pressure on Gillette and Schick. But I think it's more complex than just competition from shave clubs. That is one element of loss of market share. But in addition I'm going to bet that with younger generations the need to shave everyday has diminished. And some actually favor the grunge look. That would put a nice dent in the sale of all shaving products since they aren't shaving as often or at all. I doubt people moving to double edges is having much impact since I'm guessing the number of people doing so is quite small. I still don't know anyone other than my son and the one person I converted over 4 years of shaving with a double edge that also shaves with a double edge. I also notice more and more vintage razors available on the e of the bay with prices seeming to drop. So I doubt that is having any impact. My money is on changing shaving habits among the younger generations and a little impact from shaving clubs that sell carts.

11. brit

brit in a box

i am sure wilkinson have some of their attension.!!.:)

Hembree likes this.
  12. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

Edgewell (owner of Wilkinson and Schick) bought Harry's for a reason.

brit likes this.
  13. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Whatever the case may be I refuse to shave with a Cartridge razor, no mater who makes them. I'm strictly a DE/SE shaver always have been. Wish more men and women would get into DE/SE shaving and maybe I could go into a store and buy my shaving supplies like I did in the days before the internet but that has become doubtful.:signs015:

BigMike and brit like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Gillette, like Disney, has been extinct for decades.

preidy, Frijolero, brit and 2 others like this.
  15. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

True, but the number of people continuing to use saftey razors does have a big impact. Traditional shaving is still prevalent India, Pakistan, Eastern Europe, Asia Minor, Central Asia and North Africa. The reason is economics. Take India for example. One rupee to an Indian is like one dollar to an American, but the exchange rate is 69 rupees to the dollar. Imagine if everything in the US cost 69 times as much. Cost then becomes a crucial factor when buying shaving supplies and everything else. That is how dirt cheap Parker, Baili and other razors continue to sell. The people on the wetshaving forums are very welcome customers, but we are not the primary market for traditional shaving gear, and never were. Even so, we can be a valued source of revenue for some manufacturers.

The Parker Variant sells for $57, and the wholesale price is likely about half that. For Parker, that is pure gravy, a huge per unit profit margin they could never duplicate in their traditional markets. That is why they went to the time and effort to create what is their most upscale razor by far. We are a golden drop in their bucket, but still only a drop.

Proctor & Gamble market cap = $258 billion
    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/PG
    Gillette was purchased in 2005 for $57 billion.

Disney market cap = $237 billion
    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/DIS

In both cases, that is very far from being extinct.

Zed117 and brit like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You miss my point.

Frijolero, brit and RyX like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Dunkin Donuts set themselves above the arguments. They announced they aren't political, just want to sell coffee and other foods.

Disney has a wholesome reputation as a provider of family entertainment. It's not the same corporation that Walt started, but he was political in his time, even if it was patriotic. Being proud of your country seems to garner negative reactions from certain factions these days.

Enrico, Frijolero, brit and 2 others like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Well said, good sir RyX.

Frijolero, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  19. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    brit and Frijolero like this.