What are you listening to?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by saltypete, May 14, 2009.

1. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

2. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Once again the odd ball.....
    Years ago, well only about 20 or so, I was a nightly SWL (short wave listener) I had bought a Drake R8B and living in the woods had the property to put up a 300 foot flat top antenna fed with open feeder.
    Well, that's enough of that....
    Anyway I was interested in the strange signals, number stations, clandestine ops, NORAD, and pirate radio just to list a few.
    Splashing on the air was this pirate who called himself Allen Maxwel KIPM.
    Transmitting on AM with an amazing sinal just below 40 meters (7Mhz), an odd pirate who produced what could be called radio shows. I was setup to decode and record things on demand so I had lots of them, but they were lost to time and moving.
    Searching for something on the web, a site was in the list that caught my eye. Well, some one had archived a few of his shows, this brought back some memories and I thought I would share.

So, if you would, imagine a cold winter night sitting in your easy chair, turning on your radio for a listen, and then you tune to........

https://archive.org/details/KipmIlluminatiPrimaMateria-AlanMaxwellPirateShortwave

One of my favorites was He Who Shrank

tp

RyX, gorgo2, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Jex Thoth - Nothing Left To Die

Frijolero and AGHisBBS like this.
  4. Shaver X

Pagan Altar - Walking in the Dark

5. Shaver X

That's totally cool! Those shows are really entertaining.

I used to be a SWL when I was in middle and high school, back in the 1970s. Like you, I lived out in the sticks and so had plenty of space for an antenna. At first, it was just a simple Radio Shack regenerative shortwave radio kit and a longwire copper antenna. Simple, but it worked reasonably well. Later I used a Panasonic shortwave radio, which I still have. Really amazing and eye-opening to hear overseas broadcasts, especially when most people had not even heard of the Internet, and well over a decade before the Web was invented. Of course, running across the occasional pirate radio station was always interesting.

I didn't have much time for SWL after starting college, but did start listening to FM pirate stations later on. San Francisco had Pirate Cat Radio, which was shut down by the FCC 10 years ago. It seems to have been revived at some point as an Internet-only station. The staff revolted when it was shut down and formed Mutiny Radio, also now an Internet station. Santa Cruz, 60 miles to the South, still has Free Radio Santa Cruz, which can be heard at https://www.radio.net/s/freeradiosc and on the air.

RyX, 9nein9, AGHisBBS and 1 other person like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Most did not know what short wave radio was. I built my first receiver a Heath Kit super regerative receiver in my preteens, well that was all it took. I built some radios from the arrl hand book that worked realy great too.
    Things aren't the same on the bands as they were then, but stuff changes with time.
    Thanks
    tp

7. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If you don't already know, explaining it won't help.

I want this played as they lower my box.

RyX, MntnMan62, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I like that one.
    But this is the way I saw it on a tribute to the great Ernie Kovacs.

He was a funny guy.
    tp

RyX, MntnMan62, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Way ahead of his time.

Terry and AGHisBBS like this.
  11. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

12. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

13. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

:happy088:
    tp

gorgo2 likes this.
  14. Shaver X

Jess And The Ancient Ones - Equinox Death Trip

Some trippy psychedelic rock!

gorgo2, AGHisBBS and Frijolero like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

16. Bama Samurai

17. Bama Samurai

18. Bama Samurai

19. Bama Samurai

More Nostalgia

20. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Like it should be...

Requested..........
    tp

RyX, Frijolero, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.