June 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2019.

?

What "Basics" will you use for "Just the Basics June"?

1. Basic soaps. Arko, Williams, you know, the good stuff.

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Basic razors. Weishi, Techs, Superspeeds, you know, the good stuff.

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Basic brushes. VDH boar, you know, the good stuff.

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Basic aftershaves. Aqua Velva, Clubman, The Veg, you know, the good stuff.

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  5. I'm using a whole bunch of stuff and I don't care if it's basic or not!

27 vote(s)
    64.3%
  6. Straight razors. Basic enough for you?

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  7. Cookies and Ice Cream for me, thank you very much.

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  8. I'll tell you at the meet up. Save me a brush.

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

20190603_001338.jpg
    This shave cream was as cheap as they get and for good reason. Thirsty as a camel but paired nice with Aqua Velva musk. Starting 12hr shifts tomorrow for a maintenance shutdown so I'll try to pop in when I can.

AlDm, Trigger, RyX and 14 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

@jtspartan

Did you see that the Raptors were in a box+1 zone, Q4, against the Warriors?

Trigger, Hembree, jtspartan and 7 others like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

@jtspartan

The fun twist?

The +1 was in man defense on Steph Curry, ball or not. Top corners played rotate to ball, bottom two double in the lane tight, presumably for Cousins.

Trigger, Hembree, jtspartan and 7 others like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

nice shave sir..

9nein9, Trigger, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

9nein9, Trigger, RyX and 6 others like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

They are photoshopped in, my purpose it to recruit for the Dark Side.

9nein9, Trigger, RyX and 9 others like this.
  7. Keithmax

I heard a rumor....

Happy Birthday Fuzzy :git::git::eatdrink047: @wchnu

9nein9, RyX, Hembree and 7 others like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thank you folks. Bitter sweet day. I work until 0600 then off to MS for my Grandmothers Funeral.

On a happy note if anyone is thinking about a brush scuttle I say get one. Live mine. Gift from my awesomelicious sister.

[​IMG]

MR41, AlDm, Linuxguile and 16 others like this.
  9. Keithmax

My condolences.

wchnu, Trigger, RyX and 7 others like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

my condolences sir..

wchnu, Trigger, RyX and 5 others like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thank you Gents

Trigger, RyX, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  12. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

SOTD:
    Beautiful shave of the day this morning! BBS after three passes with skin stretching. The omega 49 is really wearing in now, and its absolutely fantastic, definitely my favourite brush, im really starting to favour boar brushes over synthetic, but hat could change if i get my hands on a good quality synthetic.

The personna lab blue was definitely much smoother on its second shave, definitely a very good blade, I'll have to see if it can match the longevity of the Wilkinson sword blade which really impressed me by achieving 15 perfect shaves.

Arko as always works beautifully, i can easily see this stick lasting a year with two uses a week.

Razor: Wilkinson sword TTO
    Blade: personna lab blue (2)
    Brush: Omega 49
    Soap: arko shave stick
    Aftershave Balm: prep[​IMG]

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

MR41, AlDm, NCoxSTL and 15 others like this.
  13. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Omg, so sorry to hear that Fuzzy. Please accept condolences from my family.

brit, Trigger, RyX and 6 others like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thank you my friend.

9nein9, brit, Trigger and 6 others like this.
  15. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Fuzzy, happy birthday and safe travels sir.

16. shaver_99

shaver_99 Member

Hello friends, I am a fellow shave enthusiast. I have been wet shaving with a DE razor for 4 years now. I have mainly used 2 razors up until now; the Merkur 34CHD and the Edwin Jager DE89. The blade that is my go to is Astra SP. I used a boar hair brush, a semogue 730 HD and use primarily Proraso Red and Blue shaving cream, with some rotation of Geo Trumper Lime and TOBS avocado. I have been getting phenomenal shaves ever since I made the switch to a DE razor. Try your mind magic on someone else "King Gillette", lol.
    Recently on my birthday, I was gifted this beautiful Parker razor and brush set by my dad.
    IMG-20190603-013307.jpg
    I am from India and have thick/coarse beard, with medium growth and sensitive skin. So I was really skeptical about changing my razor. But since it was a gift and it looked so nice, I decided to try it. I have to say that I am impressed. Parker as a company has come a long way about improving the quality of their products. Hats off to them.
    Razor: Parker 118B Brush: Parker WNPB Pure Badger.
    IMG-20190603-013423.jpg

IMG-20190603-013353.jpg

Although I am more of boar hair brush user, I like the badger brush that I got, especially when I am making bowl lather with proraso. It holds plenty of water, creates a thick and creamy lather, with just a almond sized dollop.
    I make a 3 Pass shave and shave every other day. I do first pass WTG, second pass XTG and 3rd pass ATG and no touch ups. Touch ups tend to give me irritation some hours after the shave.

The razor feels sturdy and nicely balanced, perfect for the two finger and thumb grip and the pinky can be used for more control during the ATG pass.

The razor is a tad bit more aggressive than the merkur, and the shaving angle is more like 45 degrees. It took a week to adjust to the new angle, in Merkur the angle is 30 degrees. Also to much regret, I found that the Astra SP blades were a bit too aggressive in this razor and was causing weepers and razor burns. So after going over a few forums, I found this blade made by Personna:
    IMG-20190603-013451.jpg
    They work so good with this razor, and I mean OMG! I am getting some of the most smooth and close shaves of my life! (No exaggeration)
    The box cost me 12 dollars (US). It is written on the box "Made in Israel" but the wrapping mentions a place in Connecticut, USA. A bit confused about that, and also the box mentions barber shop quality, comfort coated. Would like to know a bit more about these blades if anyone else has used them.
    IMG-20190603-013532.jpg
    This is my "Shave Den" so to speak:
    IMG-20190603-013243.jpg

To perfect my technique and truly judge this razor, I am going to not change any variable of my shave for the month of June. I will stick to using the following things:
    Hot shower Prep + light facial scrub
    Bowl Lathering
    Shaving Cream: Proraso Red Sandalwood
    Razor: Parker 118b
    Brush: Parker Pure Badger ( Has been broken in before using this month)
    Blades: Personna Super Platinum Comfort coated
    aftershave: Pinaud Clubman (Love this thing)
    aftershave balm: Proraso Blue ( I wait 20 mins after applying the aftershave and then follow it with the balm. If I don't use it I get flaky cheeks, ugh, not good)
    The Proraso Balm works wonders folks. It will help your skin heal and relieve any irritation caused due to shaving mistakes. It has saved me big time while experimenting with new razors. I think it is fairly priced, and you only need a small amount (less than most balms) to apply a think layer on your face. Within 30 minutes virtually all irritation has disappeared and your face feels "Un-tightened" after the shave.

Gents, keep up the old and wise tradition of wet shaving and have a wonderful Monday Morning shave. Will keep updating my findings as I go along the month. Cheers, gents.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    9nein9, NCoxSTL, brit and 7 others like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thank you!

9nein9, brit, Trigger and 7 others like this.
  18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I am sorry to hear that, Fuzzy. May your heart be filled with sweet memories of your Grandmother.

19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Sorry to hear about your grandmother, Fuzzy. I do wish you a happy birthday, though.

9nein9, brit, Trigger and 5 others like this.
  20. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

My condolences to you, Fuzzy.

wchnu, 9nein9, brit and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.