Stirling and their New 316/L Stainless Razor.....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

This here looks really interesting. A new 316/316L Stainless Steel razor from Stirling that looks like will be offered in two base plate configurations, mild/aggressive. It has been posted on a few social sites and forums and it has created a bit of a buzz so far. Good for Stirling. They’re a good company that offer exceptional value to the wet shaver. I just might take a stab at this when it becomes available. Very interesting........

2. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Very, Very interesting!

I would love to know what the actual blade gaps are, on both base plates.

brit, PatrickA51, BigD and 3 others like this.
  3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

X2
    I would like to add one of these to my collection.

Hembree, brit, Str8on2 and 1 other person like this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm in,

@ezlovan , please post a link. They look amazing.

Hembree, ezlovan and brit like this.
  5. ezlovan

ezlovan Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor

I certainly will as soon as they are up on the website. I'm shooting for late summer.

6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'll certainly be waiting, if a preorder list is made lmk, I'll be on it.

7. johnnyflake

I will also consider being on a pre-order list!

ezlovan and Hembree like this.
  8. Str8on2

Excellent! Can you possibly give us some info on whether it will be a positive, neutral or negative blade feeling razor? I can care less about gap as that's a very, very small part of the razor. An inkling would be awesome... :)

ezlovan, Hembree and johnnyflake like this.
  9. Str8on2

Well, for those that are interested in this particular razor from Stirling, it has been mentioned that the SS razor in the works would not be a razor recommended for beginners as both base plates have been designed to be a bit more aggressive/efficient feeling. Which to me is a good thing as we're looking perhaps at positive blade exposure and/or neutral at the least. So, I'm assuming that the razor will be designed and made for the more experienced wet shaver. Besides, most newcomers into the DE world start out on the milder side and progressively work their way up the aggressive scale until finding something that works consistently for them.

I'm liking it more and more. And a polished version should look wickedly good....

ezlovan and johnnyflake like this.
  10. ezlovan

ezlovan Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor

Positive

11. Str8on2

Woo-Hoo!!! :happy036: :happy093:

ezlovan likes this.
  12. Str8on2

Check this write up out Gents. Interesting and very telling of what Stirling is coming up with here with their new entry in the SS razor class. A great read that is very detailed and honest, I think....

I apologize in advance to the mods if I did something wrong here in posting a Link from a different forum. If it must be deleted, so be it. I have no issues and certainly do not want to break any posting rules.

https://damnfineshave.com/thread-stirling-soap-316-stainless-steel-razor

ezlovan likes this.
  13. Str8on2

A quick update from Stirling about their upcoming SS razor. I copied and pasted it here from another forum...

GlazedBoker I should have a better idea by the end of next week. I'm really working to get the machinist to pick up the paces. I've got six handles of various finish levels in front of me today . What is likely going to happen, is that we will offer a completely unpolished level (other than normal buffing to remove burrs), which should be in the $100 range and it will only come with our standard handle options, as the art-deco handles have too aggressive of a knurling to be used with out quite a bit of buffing to take the bite away. We'll also have an Electro-polished version (maybe not in the first round) that will also use the standard handles. The 316L handles (Fort Worth, Dallas, and Austin) will only be available in the manually polished version that will be hand polished up to a mirror finish, and will include laser etching of serial numbers and designs on the side of the base plate. That's been the real hold up so far. Well, that and deciding on packaging. As these are high end items, the packaging should be in line with that so we're furiously trying to find something that meets that need without adding a huge cost to production. I'd hoped to be ready to release them by 1 October, but that's not going to be feasible. It's okay though. I'd rather folks be mad that an amazing razor took a little longer than to have them mad that we put a mediocre razor out too soon.

brit and jluc like this.
  14. Str8on2

A quote from Rod over at Stirling Soaps concerning their upcoming SS razor that will be released in the near future, this year actually. This was an answer from a Q&A session over at Reddit this past Saturday......

”So far I haven't had to balance demand between collectors and average joe. And I shouldn't have to with the SHD brushes. They are still going to be dirt cheap compared to the market average. The razor is where I'm likely to start hurting people's feelings. The mirror finish version is going to be in the $200 range. Still less than Wolfman or Timeless, but more than some value SS razors. It will be worth every penny. Not just from the finish, but also for the comfortable and efficient shave it will provide. Plus it will be entirely made from 316L US steel and entirely made in the US. We'll eventually have a $100 matte version, but even that one will likely make people think that we are price gouging based on our normal pricing models. The truth of the matter is that you can't make a quality SS CNC machined razor for less in the US. We took every single SS razor currently on the market and put together a portfolio with specs and pricing on each one to over a dozen respected machinists all over the country. It was unanimous that there were some razors on the list that they would not be able to make at the listed prices. I'm confident that once more people shave with the razor, they'll see that it's worth every penny.”

So, it looks like the polished version will be a bit pricier than was expected. The matte version at a respectable $100 so it seems. I really don’t want to spend another $200 for a high end razor mirror polished razor. Since I’m already invested in the Modern Toggle project with Janus Razors, I don’t see any justification on my end to spend funds for another 316L High Polished shave tool. Maybe I’ll go with a matte finished one but, only time will tell and if it’s feasible at that time....

brit likes this.
  15. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Looks very interesting. $200 for mirror polished 316L SS, developed and sourced entirely in the US? If this razor checks all the boxes that Rod is hoping/shooting for, and has the packaging to go along with that price tag? Sign me up!

ezlovan and brit like this.
  16. blitz

blitz Member

anyone know if the head and handles will be offered separately at some point?

17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

brit and Str8on2 like this.
  18. johnnyflake

At $200 Plus, for the razor, I doubt that sales will be very brisk, except for a few, when they are first released!

brit and Linuxguile like this.
  19. Str8on2

Love the sound of the shave. I don’t think I’ll be in for the mirror polished version but, I’m definitely leaning towards acquiring the matte finished option once that becomes available. Great post Andrew!!! :happy096:

brit and Linuxguile like this.
  20. blitz

blitz Member

if what I read on another forum is accurate, it will be $100 for the head and the handles stirling already offers? the art deco handles with the crazy knurling will only be offered on the polished version for $200? mixed feelings about that.

brit likes this.