Schick Injector question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Jun 5, 2019.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

For the members here that use these razors on the mild to wild scale which ones that aren't M series adjustables that are on the mild side of an I 2?

RyX likes this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I find an I2 to be very efficient without being aggressive. For me it’s an excellent razor.
    You’d want to experiment for yourself but I might put a J on the mild side of an I2.
    It’s hard for me to say because the longer handled models shave differently than the shorter ones.
    I was shaving with one of my L’s the other day and thought it too mild but I decided maybe it was just time for a fresh blade.
    Maybe try a G.

pj3r, BBS and RyX like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

From chatter and my own experience using E-1, G-1 & 8, J-1, 2, & 3, L-7, & M adjustable types the earlier tend toward more aggressive. Later for the milder.

BBS likes this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That is kind of what I figured that the J should be about the closest.

Next question though I doubt you would know since you didn't list it as a razor you've used is there any big difference between K Lady Schick or a J version? I am trying to avoid doing what I did with DE razors and buying up everything to try because I can when I find them at a good enough price I can get into and out of them without taking a beating on the resale.

I did buy an M 2 so that should help me pun intended dial in which ones to consider next depending what setting(s) I prefer.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I briefly had a yellow handled Lady Schick, but traded it couple years ago. Don't recall how it stacked up. It was one of those Hydro Magic types that open up for easy cleaning.
    Lady Schick Hydro Magic.gif
    Got another that my daughter recently used, but with a black handle. She liked it, and she's still a dedicated cart shaver.

6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

In my opinion, the I is very close to a G, maybe slightly milder. I have an earlier version of the I, model 55, and it's great. I think slightly more aggressive than the normal I and like a G. I can't get a BBS shave with an L, even with three full passes. I've never used my J, but guessing it's close to the L. I do find the the K, Lady Eversharp, a very efficient razor. It's based on the Hydro-Magic I2 razor and whether or not the gaps are the same and the same aggressiveness, my shortened K1 is one of my favorite razors. Producing nice BBS shaves in two passes and a bit of touch up, along with my K3, Lady Eversharp travel razor.

RyX, Edison Carter and BBS like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I am leaning towards buying a J with the hydro magic lever but them seem almost impossible to find for sale and the few I've seen I wouldn't pay that much for an injector. What I am trying to figure out is if the K model and those Js with the lever are the same lever sans the handle or genuinely different shavers since buying a K seems to be the easier and cheaper route right now if that is the case.

RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. jimjo1031

I just did a side by side comparison between my Hydro-Magic 500 (J), I2 and K3. All three seem to be identical, even to my eyes, the blade gaps appear to be the same.

RyX and Edison Carter like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I am trying to avoid buying the same razor multiple times with different handles if I can since the resale market is probably not that active as it is with DE or even certain SE razors. I like the I 2 but I want something a little easier to use as I get used to shaving with injectors is all. Looks like the M 2 I bought will fill that role in the short term since I doubt the lowest setting on it is going to like the I 2 or more aggressive.

RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. jimjo1031

The Schick Adjustable razors are very nice as you can dial in the setting that works best for you. I usually do my shaves on #4 or#5, depending on my beard. You can't go wrong with it. One thing that the I razors have over the other ones, at least for me, is the ribbed handle shape. It's a great grip, good maneuverability and less prone to slip.

RyX, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  11. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I've got several J3's and 4's (Golden 500 / Shick 500) and several K1's and K2's.
    My impression is they're all the same razor with different color handles or in the case of the K1, a slightly different handle.
    At first I had trouble finding a J3/4 at a decent price but after being patient I scored several. Same thing with the K2's; some people think they're a fifty dollar razor but I've picked them up for less than $20 and even less than $15.
    One of these days I might shave with one of the K1's just to see if that different handle shape makes a different experience but so far the K1's I have just sit in my razor museum.
    You mention wanting something easier to use than the I2 but you don't say what's hard about using the I2. Maybe the longer handle of the J will be the solution for you.

RyX likes this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I've been getting a lot of little cuts especially on the ATG pass they burn and sting like hell for hours afterwards. Lack of familiarity and knowing exactly how much pressure to use is part of it right now. Practice will overcome this.

John Beeman and jimjo1031 like this.
  13. jimjo1031

Maybe you know this already, but keep the head flat against your face and don't press on it. The only time I change the angle is when trim my sideburns or bottom of my goatee.

BBS likes this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I have the angle bent slightly inward but the issue I think is how I do the cut especially under the nose. I get a lot of tug from aggressive razors in the main on the ATG pass not just this one in that area. I am pretty sure the problem is more a technique issue than the razor itself.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I tried a full cap ride shave and was reminded why I angle in just a hair. If the cap ain't curved or your lather ain't super slick the razor binds as I try to shave.

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Does anyone own the ebarbershop injector which is supposed to be a copy of the type O? If so how mild in comparison to an I2 or something made after.

17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It seemed less efficient than my I2, I sold it. I'm a head shaver YMMV and all that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

18. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Buy them all, then buy all the L Types, so you have a White, Yellow, Blue and possibly Purple one. Then buy a Championship, Grip, and Stick. Then just stare at them...

brit likes this.