Best Aftershave Balm/Gel: to prevent razor bumps

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by idan, Jun 8, 2019.

1. idan

idan Active Member

In your opinion: Which aftershave Balm/Gel is best and does the job best to prevent razor bumps and ingrown hairs ?
    Many Thanks
    Have a nice day :):)

RyX and Terry like this.
  2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

My opinion..... razor bumps are resultant to the balance of the shaving device and procedure used.

That said....... I like Trumpers Skin Food and Poraso Menthol After Shave Balm. Both are non-greasy, soothing and conditioning to the skin. Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic is nice too. You can put a fragrance type aftershave on top of any of these.

I've gone to very opposites tool-wise and found relief. After learning open edge shaving, I don't see that kind of irritation with anything I use except........

.......... Brought out my Mach III for a refresher some time back and yup.... bumps and ingrowns right out of the gate.

BigD, Paul Turner, Steve56 and 3 others like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

My opinion..... razor bumps are resultant to the balance of the shaving device and procedure used...

Translation:
    If you use a modern plastic multiblade razor that is designed to pull the hair while cutting it, the hair foilical will possibly grow under the skin.
    Then if you go over the same area multiple times this makes things worse.

If however you use a razor with a single blade that cuts the hair off at skin level, chances the hair will grow under the skin is greatly reduced.

Hence, wet shaving with a DE or SE razor.
    tp

brit and Edison Carter like this.
  4. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hope I didn't step to harsh Bill.
    I'm sorry if I did.
    But we know razor bumps are created by improper shaving, no lotion can prevent them as well as shaving technique and proper equipment.

To @idan I hope I didn't sound to harsh, there are creams and lotions that calm razor bumps. But none I ever heard of that will prevent them, regardless of their sales pitch.
    Please accept my apologies if I came off harsh or mean.
    tp
    tp

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    RyX and brit like this.
  5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

No problem here Terry, open discussion is good!

It is less likely but, you can get razor bumps with a DE too.

Bevel DE razors have a target market in men of African decent. Many have seen their skin begin to heal over the top of their freshly multi-blade cartridge shaved coarse & curly beard. Even with their DE razor, Bevel still markets products to tackle the issue of bumps and ingrowns.

When I first started a daily shave, I used the Gillette Atra. IMO, it was the best razor they ever made. 2 blades, far enough apart on a small and nimble center pivoting head. Production ceased after the intro of the Mach III which pivoted on the tail. It was the Mach III that drove me elsewhere. I have never liked any kind of the "strips" that were put on. All current cartridges I've seen fitting Atra handles have some manner of "strip" added.

If I became unable to continue to to shave with equipment I love, I'd likey be looking at the Gillette Guard, a single blade pivoting cartridge with blade guards, targeted for the market in India. There is a member here who loves traditional wet shaving that uses them due to a medical condition. He hates a plastic razor, but loves the result he gets. In his shoes, I'd do the same.

I dislike traveling these days, but if air travel becomes required, you can bet I'll have some. They are not readily available in the US, but you can get them.

Cheers.

BigD, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Being said that bumps are caused by technique, or lack of. I find products with witch hazel to be very soothing.

7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

+1 Bill, a properly honed straight razor almost never gives any irritation, bumps, or ingrowns.

I usually have a Bic Metal in the travel gear as a backup, 1 blade, no strips.

BigD, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have read your past posts. It seems you use Cartridge Razors. Many people, including myself, cannot use them, due to Irritation, and massive amounts of ingrown hair. Too the point. Stop using cartridge razors. Get a Double edge razor, and any aftershave. Stop going ATG for a week or two. Start with Pinaud Clubman, or Aqua Velva. Both good. See if you dont see an improvement, overnight.

BigD, Terry and Steve56 like this.
  9. Minaton

Minaton New Member

A product called Bump Patrol works great for me. It stings a little bit but it definatley works. I use a small amount prior to splashing after shave. I was told by a guy I work with to use regular strength bump patrol. Extra strength does not work as well.
    (FYI, the guy I work with happens to be African American. The product is usually only marketed to black people. Thus when looking for it you may have to look in the "ethnic" toiletries section of your store. I am not sure why that is because if more shavers new about the product I think they would use it. Anyone who shaves can get razor burn.)
    I get it shipped to my house from Walmart.
    I also add some to my face b 4 bed if it looks like I may be getting some face irritation.
    Bump Patrol actually has Aspirin in it. That could be why it works so good.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    BigD and Edison Carter like this.
  10. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever been to a store that has an "ethnic toiletries" section

brit likes this.
  11. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Surgical spirits. (Alcohol and a dash of Castor oil iirc).

The more stuff you put on your skin, the more stuff it has to react to. A basic alcohol splash (doesnt get more basic than spirits tbh) will sterilize the skin and act as a toner.

Less is more.

idan and brit like this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Any updates, on your issues???