Honing Magnification

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Edison Carter, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Hey gang. Just got these.

20190611_012428-1.jpeg

I figure guys that already hone a lot are already set up on good magnification and lighting. I saw these and figured I'd give them a try for about $23.

The big one is 4x and 30x.
    The little one is 30x and 60x.
    2 separate LEDs on the small, but you can only use 1 at a time.
    4 LEDs on the large that all come on and have lo & hi.

I looked at a couple of blades and like how they work.

If you are progressing on maintaining your own stuff like I am, these are nice tools.

Love to hear what others use.

Bill

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Very cool, Bill. I have a lighted loupe and my issue is reflection and angle. Maybe my eyesight as well. It's difficult to get a large, clear view of the edge.

3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

How are these used? Lets say you can see the bevel is not what it needs to be. Do these tell you where to concentrate your honing?

4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

7BA1528F-09A4-4446-A240-2F188CC52563.jpeg

Here are mine, left to right. Very cheap illuminated single lens, about 3-5x, usually used for a quick look at new razors or to check the scratch pattern to be sure that it’s uniform toe, middle, and heel. Good deal of distortion near the edge of the field of view. Next, 30x illuminated from CKTG, but these are common almost everywhere on the internet. I don’t think that they’re anywhere near 30x, 10-15x would be more like it. Surprisingly good for a cheap loupe, the field of view is generous and although it has noticeable edge distortion, there’s plenty of usable field of view. Finally, a coated 7x Hastings Triplet, no illumination. Very good optics, power is about right for me for most everything. Small field of view but essentially no distortion, the FOV is usable to the edges. Beolomo (?) makes multi-coated triplet loupes I think, but multi-coated optics really aren't needed in a loupe and they’re pricey.

I don’t use the built in illumination, I found that a bare bulb works best - you can change the angle that the light hits the edge using an external light, which is very useful. I hone in my kitchen and the overhead light has exposed bulbs at the bottom of the light.

@Chuck Naill yes, all magnifiers can do that. A SR edge is rarely uniform before or during honing, so you can see which parts aren’t where that need to be, where the bevel still has coarser scratches (heel, toe, etc) or where the apex isn’t hitting the stone (frowns, smiles, overground centers by the master grinders, etc).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    brit, Keithmax, Leclec13 and 8 others like this.
  5. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

6. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of other stuff (scopes, loupes, usb) but they seem to fall short at times for various reasons.

I liked what I saw on my first looks. The projection angle of the light seems better than my other stuff. Nice and bright too. Plus the biggie uses 3 x AA. Finding some of those button batteries is a hassle. Yeah, I left mine on way too many times.

I'll post a follow up after I use them.

I'd really like a glass optics stereo zoom microscope.... I'd also wish to be young, handsome and wealthy...... wait, what, aw come on now genie, what do you mean only 3 wishes?
    ..... Oops, got a little carried away there. Daughter took her mom & I to see the new Aladdin movie. Max Headroom recommended!
    ....... Yeah, sure man, sure..... hijack your own thread
    :cool:

Keithmax, Leclec13, Terry and 3 others like this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Go for young, handsome, and wealthy. If you have those 3 the others are no problem!

Leclec13 and Edison Carter like this.
  8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

9. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

I have the cheap amazon 30-6ox
    I’m starting to doubt it except for basic work.
    And have heard that these are not as good as a glass loupe

I have an inexpensive USB microscope that I will learn on next day off.

I some times use a camera lens as loupe ... but its a hassle I don’t leave out. But the detail while not as large is much better than the foreign made plastic loupe.

Edison Carter likes this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Edison Carter, Steve56 and Leclec13 like this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have one nice one that is not lighted and a bunch of cheap ones that have led lights. They are cheaper than batteries so I just toss them when they die.

Edison Carter, DaltonGang and Steve56 like this.