Is Lysol Disinfectant spray good to clean old used vintage Razors ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shoebooty, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Shoebooty

Shoebooty Member

I picked up a couple of vintage razors off ebay and I don't have Barbicide Disinfectant. But I do have a can of Lysol spray that says it kills over 100 different kinds of illness causing germs, and kills 99.9% of viruses & bacteria. Plus I also have Isopropyl rubbing alcohol. So if I spray the razors down good and let them sit for a few mins then after that soak them in alcohol for 10 or 15 mins would that be long enough to disinfect the razors and be clean to use after that ? here are a few pics at the razors I got off ebay.

Attached Files:

chevyguy, Terry and brit like this.
  2. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Don't know about Lysol.....
    I've always used scrubbing bubbles.....

Herm2502, Terry and brit like this.
  3. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

My razors go through alcohol soak, boiling and toothbrush with soap.

brit likes this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That should work just fine to kill the germs and such.

mrbaho, brit and Terry like this.
  5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Nice Shoe.
    It will work, but the alcohol will do the job if soaking 10 minutes or longer.
    tp

chevyguy and brit like this.
  6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Scrubbing bubbles and/or Dawn dish soap have worked the best for me to remove old soap scum and anything else. I wouldn't be too concerned about germs on old metal razors.

7. brit

brit in a box

scrubbing bubbles and dawn on initial receipt before 1st use then hot water /air dry thereafter.periodic dawn clean with a tooth brush works well for me ..

lindyhopper66 and chevyguy like this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Lysol will work fine, same with the alcohol the way you plan to soak it. One or the other will get the job done. If you use the alcohol make sure the parts are fully submerged when soaking. It is not bad practice to clean and sterilize new or used razors when you first get them. I look at it like a trust but verify type of thing. The only way I can verify the razor really is clean and sterile for first use is to do it myself.

chevyguy likes this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Best way to clean them is toothbrush and soak in warm soapy water. What also works well for gold plate is to use window cleaner with ammonia. The window cleaner is a dilute enough ammonia solution for gold anything, razors, jewelry, etc. Spray and let sit for about a minute then clean with a polishing cloth or similar or tooth brush, rinse and dry.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    brit likes this.
  10. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

You're good to go. Enjoy those razors.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

brit and Terry like this.
  11. chevyguy

I don't get the boiling part. Alcohol kills just about everything. With boiling you take a chance of damaging your vintage razors. It would be better to set up a stovetop steamer basket and steam them like you do vegetables. I just clean my newly purchased razors with scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush and call it good.

Clayton

lindyhopper66 and brit like this.
  12. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

We mention Scrubbing Bubbles- be sure it's the non-bleach formula.

Herm

Terry likes this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Read somewhere that brass and a few other metals, maybe even nickel and definitely silver, have their own antimicrobial properties. That doesn't do anything about crud and such, but otherwise clean razors are likely more sterile (or less germy) than we imagine.

I just cycle them open or disassembled through the normal dishwasher and I ain't caught anthrax or plague yet.

*koff*

brit likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Does alcohol have to air dry to work?

Terry likes this.
  15. chevyguy

No it doesn't just give it ten minutes.

Clayton

16. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Not sure about that, but most disinfectants require time to kill the nasties. I use 90% isopropyl alcohol, and give my razors a dunk for 20 to 30 minutes on the final part of the cleaning. I also try to move them around to get the air out of the hollow parts. There has been times that the alcohol cleaned the inside of the razors, so it does also seem to loosen something. If this happens, I do more soaking and shaking until nothing else comes out.
    I also toss the used alcohol after each use.
    So, soak in warm soapy water, clean with tooth brush. IF parts don't move I use penetrating oil like WD40 to loosen moving parts. If needed and no damage will come to the razor, I polish it, noting that different materials need a different product and type of polish. Then they get the nice long bath in alcohol.
    But that's my way generally speaking, others might have some different ways.
    tp

brit likes this.
  17. Shoebooty

Shoebooty Member

WOW! Thanks for all the reply posts, I did soak them in both and came out pretty good and they are air drying, I have scrubbing bubbles but it is the kind for the toilet and has bleach in it, I also have ka-boom but it also has bleach in it also. I try a little dawn with a old tooth brush to clean it see how they both comes out. I think I might order a bottle of barbicide just to have it for future use .,,,,, Is it worth buying one of those barbicide jars,,,, now I will only be using it just for DE razors ,,,,so is the 21oz the best size to use for just safety razors?

brit likes this.
  18. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

19. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

I use an old small jam jar, just a little larger than a long handle DE. It doesn't take up a lot of space and is easy to cap.

20. richdad

richdad Active Member

You are essentially talking about two different things. When you thoroughly clean the razor or any surface by getting rid of the gunk., crud etc you are removing what is called bioburden where bacteria and viruses hide. Leaving crud makes disinfection/sterilization that much more difficult. Now to what is the most effective disinfectant? Hands down Lysol. A minute soaking spray of lysol is all you need to eliminate almost all harmful bacteria and viruses from any surface that has NO bioburden. By the way of course once we rinse of the Lysol or Barbosol unless we are using sterile water we have just reintroduced more bacteria and viruses onto the razor. Is this necessary for razors? Not really. Why? Because the razor blade isn't sterile unless you order sterile hospital blades and when you get a cut from a non sterile it and introduce pathogens into your bloodstream you are not getting wholesale infections from it nor are you getting infections from the razor sb or oc running over the open cut and also introducing pathogens into your bloodstream which I guarantee is happening every time you receive a bleeding break in your skin or mucosa (covering of lip). Yet people freak about razor disinfection as if they are going to die or get bad infections if their razors aren't disinfected! It's downright silly.
    Here is what we should be worried about. When people go to barbers and nail salons the disinfectants like Barbaside and whatever else they use needs to be changed very frequently. Rough files and tools need ultrasonic cleaners with complete removal of bioburden and sterilization. Some people are getting serious infections and losing limbs from cuts with bacteria from other people introduced into their bloodstream at these nail salons.
    Barbershops have Barbaside with bioburden floating around in it. I wouldn't want a trim from with someone else' infectious crud on it. The Barbaside may be perfectly good but it cannot penetrate bioburden. This is why cleaning is the FIRST priority in ant disinfection/sterilization process. Further, sterilization may never occur if enough bioburden is present!
    Now regarding disinfectants. Dr Gorden Christiansen and his research group at the time Clinical Research Associates back in the 1990's I believe did the only to this date years of clinical research into every known disinfectant including all hospital ones from liquid to gas and the most effective was yup - Lysol. Better than Barbaside.
    So to summarize my long winded writing - a thorough cleaning of crap is great and is the most important. A one minute spray with Lysol is great. Barbacide is unnecessary to order and use.
    WHAT TO AVOID - the bacteria that comes on the razor from the previous users. That is what is potentially dangerous but the only way that can enter your blood stream is if you cut yourself with razor blade and run your sb or oc over the cut do thoroughly clean that razor of crud.
    My qualifications - microbiology and hospital infection control in a past life - I know a little of what I'm talking about.

mvd, brit, gorgo2 and 1 other person like this.