Question about adding scent to unscented soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Suhrim21, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

I have a tub of Stirling D-503 soap. I absolutely love it. Contacted Stirling and received a response saying they may do a black Friday release but there are no plans as on now to bring it back full time or even a yearly limited run. I was told the soap and aftershave did not sell very well. Indicating there was not an interest in the soap. At least that is my impression of the email.

My question is this. I have found companies that sell uncut fragrance oil impression of Mont Blanc legend. I was thinking since I can't buy D-503 I could find the impression oil that smells the same and make it myself. I wanted to use Stirling unscented soap and aftershave and add in the fragrance oil. Aftershave is easy but for the soap. Is it possible to use a double boiler and melt the soap so I can add in the oil. Or does anyone know a way I can add oil to Stirling soap to make unscented scented.

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Tallow soaps have issues about melting and cooling. Might make granules. You'd be OK if it was a glycerin based like Van der Hagen.

I added Aqua Velva AS and hot water to a grated puck of modern Williams SS. Couple days airing out and it dried up and works quite well. Um, as well as modern Williams works, anyway. If you were to very gently melt it in a double boiler, or short burst in a microwave... I'm no saying it would work.

Frijolero likes this.
  3. Suhrim21

Ok so then I guess the question would then become what would the best soap be to melt and ass the oil to so I can have a soap that has the Mont Blanc legend scent. Also is there anyone that actively makes a month Blanc legend soap?

Linuxguile and Frijolero like this.
  4. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

One that jumps to mind is Col Conk:
    https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/col-conk-unscented-natural-shave-soap-2-25-oz/

Another possibility is to buy the Stirling unscented puck, and grate it rather than melt it.

Terry, Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I saw that.......

Zykris, RyX, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.
  6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Stirling soap is so soft that I don't think you would need to melt it or grate it. I would just put the unscented soap in a plastic bag along with the fragrance oil and knead it together until it is well mixed. Repeat the process until you have the kind of scent strength you desire.

The other option is to just put a few drops of the FO on top of the soap as you're loading and it should scent your lather nicely.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

ezlovan, Paul Turner, brit and 3 others like this.
  7. Suhrim21

That sounds like an option. I will have to try that.

brit, RyX, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm a little bit of a Heretic when it comes to The Church of Modern Williams. It's got many of the qualities of a great shave soap, but not my shining star. Can't say any one product has pushed all others aside. I subscribe to a polysoapistic universe.
    see the universe.jpg

Linuxguile, brit and Frijolero like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Is that like a cult?

Zykris, Linuxguile, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  10. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

I would put the soap in a large bowl (not plastic) and smash the fragrance oil in with a spoon. Add a little at a time and mix it well. 4-5 grams of frag should be pretty good. That fragrance may not stick too long so it's all an experiment.

RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  11. Suhrim21

It absolutely will be an experiment. And if it works I have tobacco vanilla fragrance oil that I would love to have as a soap as well. It's a copy of Tom Ford tobacco vanille. I use that to make a clone of that cologne. I may actually start with that since I already have the fragrance oil.

RyX, Linuxguile and Frijolero like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's another fun experiment. You can purchase Perfumer's Alcohol, or go to a liquor store and buy EverClear. Also can be mixed with witch hazel, vitamin E, glycerin, or what ever skin safe products you like.

If your scent is essential oil, it's concentrated biological compounds. Some oils can have detrimental or harmful effects if used straight or in too strong concentrations. Read up to be safe & have fun!

Frijolero likes this.
  13. Suhrim21

Absolutely. Already have the safety data on all fragrance oils I have.

RyX likes this.
  14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Maybe you could find some artisan soapmaker that would whip up a batch of Legend-scented soaps on a special order? There are plenty of great soaps out there besides Stirling, and one of them might be more flexible.

RyX, Frijolero and brit like this.
  15. Suhrim21

I don't know what artisans are good or not. I do know Stirling is good. Which is why I suggested them. And I emailed them and asked if they knew a way I could add legend fragrance oil to their unscented soap and AS. They responded to just kneed it in one drop at a time till I get the right strength of scent and for AS I could just add it in to the unscented. I really wasn't expecting them to answer that email. But I was impressed that they did.

ezlovan, RyX, KUSTOM and 2 others like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Stirling is a class act.

ezlovan, Frijolero, brit and 3 others like this.
  17. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

This is the way to go for the soap. Making your own aftershave is from scratch is pretty basic.

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

We are fortunate to have several soap makers here and active at TSD. You can also PM @ezlovan to talk to Rod of Stirling Soap Company.

Don't forget about Zachary of Moon Soaps @KUSTOM ! ;)

ezlovan and Frijolero like this.
  19. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I'm closely following this thread, as Mont Blanc legend is my cologne of choice.

RyX and brit like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

my signature edt..nice stuff..

RyX likes this.