My Stahly

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by richdad, Jun 16, 2019.

1. richdad

richdad Active Member

Although I'm not in the mood for buying any more scrapers I have had an itch to pick up an occasional oddball one. Owners here have extolled the shave as being mild but I've found it more than that. Heavier ones seem to appeal to my face better so this one and the marvel fine de are my go to's now.
    I've been thinking of selling my 3 piece Cooper and English souplex oc's because I know I just won't use them any more! That is how much I love this razor and the Fine. If you want a great safety bar razor I would say try one of these with a modern handle. Great stuff!

Attached Files:

AGHisBBS, RyX, jmudrick and 2 others like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

They are great shavers.

3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Stahly head is apparently magic. I can't explain how it does what it does so well so I'll just use em. I brought 4 DEs (and my Enders Speed) on my 2 month SE Asia sojourn but am only using the Stahly (on ATT Atlas handle).

[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

4. richdad

richdad Active Member

Yes it is incredible. I think I like it better than any other razor I have ever used. I'm not a big buyer and I hate keeping ones I'll never use again. I think it's probably as good as the high end expense ones people buy

RyX and jmudrick like this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

That's one I never got around to trying despite the positive feedback on the head.

Enjoy.

6. richdad

richdad Active Member

I should say you remove that ridiculous handle and use one from another razor.

7. brit

brit in a box

very cool. have a great trip..

jmudrick likes this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Absolutely. I have been a one trick pony in that regards. Every is used on a Weber bulldog.

jmudrick and brit like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I stripped the worn plating off one of mine, with polished raw brass it gets the 76g Tibam brass handle. Doesn't balance quite as well as the ATT but doesn't shave any less well either.[​IMG]

RyX, PanChango and brit like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

jmudrick and PanChango like this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I think the magic comes from that round guard. I've a feeling, not fact, I'm not a scientist, but i think the round guard sorta smushes the skin ahead of it to come into contact with the razors edge. It's gotta keep the skin far enough away so that a vibrating edge doesn't completely shred it.
    It's remarkably efficient, but noticeably mild. Maybe magic was a good description.

RyX and jmudrick like this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

There is also the leaf spring . Whether that has any effect sans the externally generated vibration I can't say but I'm willing to believe anything when it comes to the Stahly.

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

When these Stahly were new they were high end razors. I know Gillette sold theirs as a loss leader expecting to catch up on the blades but a Fat Boy was $1.95 (hence the Model 195 name). At the same time a Stahly cost fifty bucks. Now a FB is more or less ebaying for around that just like a Stahly in good condition.

jmudrick likes this.
  14. richdad

richdad Active Member

That top razor is so beautiful. How did you strip it and where did you get that handle?

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I trolled eBay for a while looking for one with bad plating because I knew I wanted to do this, got it cheap of course , then used a combination of fine steel wool, CLR, brasso, Barkeeper's Friend to finish the job. It wasn't hard, no Dremel necessary. It's a Tibam handle, he does fine work, available on eBay .

RyX and richdad like this.
  16. richdad

richdad Active Member

Thank you so much.

jmudrick likes this.
  17. Asafiev

Asafiev Member

22853111_10214187433422472_8623587425119318611_n.jpg A few years ago I pulled one out of a shaving mug in an antique shop. I was speechless and endlessly curious about the history of Stahly. And so the collection began (this picture is missing the S-6). I recently got one replated in rhodium and love to collect all the boxes, paperwork, etc.

Angelo85, brit, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  18. richdad

richdad Active Member

That collection is wonderful. Have you tried shaving with the head on a regular handle? I swear it is among the best shaves I've ever had and the Stahly is now my daily driver. I think it's the round safety bar and weight of the head. And the thinness of the ends make it easy to get under the nose.

Hembree and RyX like this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Leaf spring suspension (not my photo). My daily driver for the summer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Hembree and RyX like this.
  20. Asafiev

Asafiev Member

Yes, I find a 3.5 inch handle to be my sweet spot. I have a Jamaican Dogwood handle from Elite Razor that I like to use. But honestly, I don't mind the original handle. I have yet to see anyone else use the round safety bar. It's so comfortable and makes it a cinch to find the right blade angle.

RyX and Hembree like this.