Looking for ac style razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by jaro, Jun 15, 2019.

1. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Hi all wanting to try/ get one of the AC type(feather clone) shavette razors but only ones I have seen are to expensive :sad023: anyone know where I could get one for inexpensive? I don't want to spend a lot in case I don't like it.... Thanks.

Hembree and RyX like this.
  2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

A few guys in the 30DC thread have some.
    @RyX
    @Hembree

Maybe can help

3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Info coming your way!

I purchased a Univinlions Salon Razor through AliExpress. That's direct shipment from China. Inexpensive? You bet as there's a couple bucks off for new customers discount. Skip the option for the blades they offer.Maybe there are some good Chinese blades but I can't name em. Depending on your skill or technique level choose a type of Feather Artist Club blade. There are some that are short so they don't extend far from the blade holder. Another type has built in guards that make for a safer shave. I went straight to Professional since I have prior SR and shavette experience with 1/2DE and hair shaper blades.

Photos? Here you go. This is right out of the mailing package. It arrived in a well protected box, inside a plastic sleeve that would make good for storage. I put away the box and sleeve because I've done every shave since I got it with this razor.
    Univinlions Salon Razor.gif I did order the Chinese blades, attempted a shave, and quit after two strokes on my cheek. Pulling, tugging, very little cutting. Maybe those blades will scrape paint, but they don't shave. When the Feather AC Pro blades arrived my next shave was on May 17th.
    SOTD 05172019 Ist use Feather AC Pro.png
    You can read my shave reports in The 30 Day Rule / Focus group. I'd link it but we are generating almost 8000 post per month lately. Long story short is I'm enjoying the kami-shavette. My grips are becoming instinctual, angles aren't thought about - they just happen. I'm doing two passes a generally WTG North to South, and ATG South to North. Biggest problem I have is around my chin as is common for open blade shavers. Stuck myself a couple times dipping heel or toe. That can be lessened by muting the corners of the new blades. I'm working without a net or training wheels since I've been around open blades before.

If you have any question, here, PM, or in The 30 Rule / Focus group!

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks for the bump Bill!

Hembree, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  6. jaro

Also do you know of a good ac folding clone other than AliExpress since they don't take Paypal ?

Hembree likes this.
  7. jaro

Thanks, the only problem with Ali Express is they don't take Paypal.

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I like the blood dripping down the razor look. :happy088:

9. jaro

Maybe it's not just a look:signs131::signs136::)

Hembree, RyX, Edison Carter and 3 others like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Concerned with credit card theft? Can you do a Bank of Walmart preloaded debit card?
    I see what you mean now. I may have been wearing a red shirt when I took the photo. No doubt the shavette has drawn blood. That's why Neal @NCoxSTL calls them "Pain Sticks". It's part of the learning curve; trying to shave without cutting yourself.

Hembree, NCoxSTL and Edison Carter like this.
  11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Our official 30DC Historian has been working to confirm that I was the one who first used the term "pain stick" to describe the AC razors. I don't remember who said it first or when it was for sure. So far, Boris has turned up the following early references to the Artist Club razors:

Jan 21, 2015 - Charlie @wristwatchb posted the first picture of an AC razor, a Feather SS. Mentioned he had tried it before but wanted to focus more on learning it. January 2015 #867

March 1, 2015 - Adam @Drygulch decides to go for it with a Feather SS to return to his desire to shave with straights. Trust me, if you have a weak stomach, skip this post. Bloody mess. March 2015 #17

March 19, 2015 - My @NCoxSTL first pain stick picture. The CJB that I won in a PIF from @Keithmax . March 2015 #313

There are, of course, shave reports throughout March for Adam and Charlie that include the Feather SS, but those are the "firsts" that came to the surface. Still no luck in finding the first use of the term "pain stick". Boris will keep searching. No vodka for him until he locates it.

Hembree, RyX, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

I was wondering who was the Historian. I assumed our Secretary could pull up the notes of that meeting when the Historian was named but Natalia has ...ahem... better things to do with her time. She's better as an Enforcer anyways. Apparently Boris has been keeping below the radar when ever someone mentions a question for the position holder. No one remembered who the Historian was!

Thanks Neal for filling in the gaps. Knowledge is Power!

Hembree, Edison Carter and NCoxSTL like this.
  13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well, unfortunately we still don't have an answer. There are plenty of discussions and pictures of injuries during April 2015 which is when two people focused on pain sticks for the month, but they were always referred to either as Artist Club razors (the true name actually) or as kamisoris. Working into May now to try and dig this one out. Boris is good for this kind of work. Just gotta keep him half sober long enough.

Edison Carter, Hembree and RyX like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Which ever blade holder you choose @jaro , feel free to visit Neal @NCoxSTL , Bill @Edison Carter , myself, and the rest of the Cast of Characters in The 30 Day Rule / Focus Group. We're all about offering advice, opinions, even actual information to folks trying out new to them gear. Some of our Shenanigans have spilled over here into your thread. Know that we do take this stuff seriously and are striving to up our Shave Game. So up yours, too! ;)

Edison Carter and Hembree like this.
  15. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I thought they do.

RyX likes this.
  16. Hembree

:signs011:

RyX likes this.
  17. Hembree

The Feather SS has a round area "bulb" near the blade that makes it difficult to find the angle. I have a Feather SS clone and I find the Univinlions Kai clone to be more intuitive. For around $9.00 you will not beat the Univinlions razor.

RyX and Edison Carter like this.
  18. jaro

Univinlions is only in fixed handle though ? I was hoping to find a folding one...

Hembree and Edison Carter like this.
  19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The only folding ones I am aware of that would be available would be the Feather SS and DX, or the Kai Captain. All are available on eBay but yeah, they are a bit pricier than you may want. The DX in particular starts at around $135 depending on seller. The SS is more reasonable at around $63 to start and the Kai Captain falls at about $85 from what I'm seeing. The Feather SS has that lip on it that they designed to make it safer to use, supposedly. It isn't a feature that destroys the ability to use it well, it just isn't as intuitive as the DX or the Kai style. A bit more of a learning curve. I've used the SS straight handle quite a bit and while I prefer the DX style (Which the Kai and others clone) I could use the SS and be happy if I chose.

As you've already seen the cheaper versions are not the folding ones. CJB makes a pretty nice razor but it's straight handle only. It runs around $35.

20. jaro

Thanks

Hembree and Edison Carter like this.