June 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2019.

?

What "Basics" will you use for "Just the Basics June"?

1. Basic soaps. Arko, Williams, you know, the good stuff.

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Basic razors. Weishi, Techs, Superspeeds, you know, the good stuff.

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Basic brushes. VDH boar, you know, the good stuff.

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Basic aftershaves. Aqua Velva, Clubman, The Veg, you know, the good stuff.

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  5. I'm using a whole bunch of stuff and I don't care if it's basic or not!

27 vote(s)
    64.3%
  6. Straight razors. Basic enough for you?

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  7. Cookies and Ice Cream for me, thank you very much.

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  8. I'll tell you at the meet up. Save me a brush.

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I visited there for a cousin's wedding. Once we were hiking around and saw the Canadian flag not too far from us. I should have walked into Canada, but didn't.

wristwatchb, Trigger, brit and 8 others like this.
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Thanks Jason...I highly recommend it.

Trigger, brit, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  3. Hembree

Great picture and an interesting shave Doug. I alway thought for some reason that the Techmatic was not a good shaver.

Trigger, brit, Norcalnewb and 7 others like this.
  4. Hembree

:happy088:

Trigger, brit, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  5. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Thanks, Andrew.

Trigger, brit, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

You've brought us back to what The 30 Day thread is all about. Learning to use the tools you already have beats having a bucket of razors and no technique.
    No way to convince them. Makers have been doing it for decades. Gillette & Schick, Gem and others may have set the pattern but it continues. At first it might have helped me, but now I can spell Univinlions!

I think I'll stick to tripping over my own feet. ;) I see kids using those sideways skateboards - Hoverboards? One of my morning coffee buddies is recovering from a hip replacement. His was not a Jetson's scooter accident, just accumulated wear and tear. I'd feel silly being drug down the street by a runaway sideways scooter. hooting and hollering with one of my legs being pulled out of it's socket. Glad you like your bikes Charlie! Your SWIMBO is fulfilling her Prime Directive.

Edison Carter, Trigger, brit and 10 others like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I saw Elvis and tried to take his picture but he wanted $2o, I guess he has fallen on hard times since he hasn’t worked in a long time.

Peanut butter and mayonnaise :happy097:

Edison Carter, Trigger, brit and 11 others like this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm diggin' it, Danny! :cool:

Trigger, brit, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  9. Hembree

Took me a while but I can spell it now.

Trigger, brit, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  10. wristwatchb

I currently strive not to appear in Segway accident or People at Walmart YouTube videos. ;)

I can see every one of those accidents happening. Many of those folks were goofing off, not paying attention, or still learning...or some combination of the above that makes for great stories once you're discharged from the hospital.

Since Segways respond to changes in the center of gravity, I noticed one small child not being able to lean back enough to stop. As a bonus, the Segway spun around and ran her over. Kudos and extra points to the parents for letting her ride it and catching it on video. I'm sure this made quite an impression on their Parole Officer. There's something to be said for free-spirited risk taking...In this case, I think it's called going back to the Big House.

One dude was fairly heavy. He leaned back, and the Segway sat him down on the pavement. That must be why they have a 260 lb weight limit. He was over by a few ounces. :)

Thankfully, my Bride is wearing her thinking hat. I will stick to my bike and walking...without chewing gum at the same time. I'm glad I tried the Segway...bragging rights and all that...it was probably the first and last time.

I'd ride one again in a heartbeat. :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  11. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

They should dissolve with no fuss in any alcohol-based splash like Florida Water. Just give them a little time. First thing that I tried them in was Proraso red aftershave. It worked a little too well. Taught me that you can always add more, but you can't take it back out.

12. Paul Turner

You're going to see Segway races in a future Olympics. You saw it here first.

Keithmax, Trigger, brit and 8 others like this.
  13. wristwatchb

I'll try to remember to bring my Elvis outfit to the meetup. Last year, the Golden Corral manager asked me to leave. I thought it would be a nice gesture to pose for photos next to the meat loaf and mashed potatoes, but he thought I was holding up the line. Or maybe it was because I was too heavy handed with the Clubman. He made a snarky comment about me not being in Aisle 12 anymore. So, the reports last year about Elvis leaving the building were, in fact, true.
    197J-Elvis.jpg

14. Paul Turner

I would have flipped Elvis the $20 and walked away.

Keithmax, Trigger, brit and 6 others like this.
  15. wristwatchb

Thanks Clint. I've got room to move the second car in the garage now. :)
    Thank you, Joe. I appreciate that, and I agree!
    Thanks Jason. It has had its moments, but we've tried to have fun with it. It helps when you are retired. I hope @PLAla's move is going smoothly as well.
    Mos def you 'da man, Joseph! We got new toilet brushes yesterday. We're all set, so to speak, now. :)
    Thanks Andrew. We're making good progress every day.
    This is me begging for a Segway. :)
    honeymooners.jpg

16. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Terrific picture, Danny! The red tip is stunning.

Trigger, brit, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  17. Norcalnewb

Excellent picture, Jason!

Trigger, brit, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

June Off my 30 Day Focus

Wickham 1912 Scottish Heather SS
    Omega Pro #10098 boar brush
    Suribachi bowl and cool water
    Gillette 1934 RFB base & cap
    Unknown base & cap in ZAMAK
    Maggard Razors #MR18 SS handle
    Avon Blue Blazer aftershave
    SOTD 06182019 Traveling Box gear.gif About as close as I get to a Focus ended today. I got my every other day shaves in for a month with the Feather AC blade holder, enjoyed the experience, and will keep it in the ready rack since I just loaded a fresh blade. Switching hardware gears, I needed to test out a base plate and cap to make a decision. On Gary's @brit recommendation the OC 3pc did my left side. Shaved the right with this unidentified cast metal base and cap. If anyone knows what it is, it'll be back in The Traveling Box for them to test and own.
    is this a Cooper.gif
    Between the two the Gillette gave much better service on two passes with a fresh Voskhod blade. I used the Maggard handle for both to reduce variables. I wasn't sure I'd like the veggie soap for the scent but wanted to try the base to evaluate lather quality. By the maker it's described as, "Green Grass, Anise, Hyssop, Thyme, Cedar, Oak and Moss." Anise is another way to say licorice. Fortunately there's enough else going on it's at an acceptable level. Great lather, too. I may try other scents by this maker and I'm keeping this one! Finished off my shave with a vintage 1964 Avon that's new to me. Blue Blazer is described as, "bergamot, jasmine, geranium, heliotrope, ylang-ylang, amber, oakmoss, sandalwood, and musk" Lots going on there, but I find it familiar for its barbershopiness.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

19. Hembree

She said no to the Segway but yes to this..............
    [​IMG]

20. Norcalnewb

Great pictures, Matthew!

matthewoli98, Trigger, brit and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.