my first DE, baili bd191

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Luca, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Luca

Luca Member

just arrived from amazon, less than 10 euros but the build quality seems outstanding for the price. I have been told the head is a tech clone, we'll see how it shaves - i'm a newbie and i have bic platinum and atsra SP blades.
    [​IMG]

danbuter, Hembree, RyX and 6 others like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Hembree, brit, Edison Carter and 4 others like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Great razor and welcome!!
    It doesn't take an expensive razor or blade in the DE world to get a marvelous, wonderfully smooth shave.
    Technique is the key, and once you've mastered your razor, you will be in for a treat. I too am a believer in a 30 day focus rule. It has helped me more than anything else I've tried.
    tp

danbuter, pj3r, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Very nice razor and welcome! Please consider joining the group on the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread. It will be a great way to start your new journey with DE shaving.

Hembree, brit, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  5. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Very Nice - Good Luck!

Hembree and Terry like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @Luca! Couple of guys have invited you to The 30 Day Rule / Focus group. I don't do hashtags so I'll just "me too". After you've been at this for a couple years most razors become blade holders with stylistic differences. Weight, length of handle, type of material or finish may vary, but it's up to the User to apply the tool to the work. That's what the 30 Day Crew is all about. If you have any, and I do mean ANY questions about razors, blades, soaps, or brushes feel free to ask. TSD has a deep database to search, nothing but helpful folks to offer opinions, advice, even actual information. The 30 Day Crew also get into non-shaving related discussion, but it always comes back to just that.

Primotenore, Hembree, brit and 2 others like this.
  7. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Welcome.

And like they said, 30 days.

It worked for me.

Your going to love it!

RyX, Hembree, brit and 1 other person like this.
  8. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Nice looking razor. Enjoy!

Hembree, Terry and brit like this.
  9. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I have that same razor and you will enjoy it. It is a great shaver. I highly recommend the 30DC as already suggested.

Terry is the brains of the bunch:signs136: and has spoken well.

10. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..30 dcer here as well this group changed many things for me,all for the better.a small fee at the door please..;)..just kidding ..nice razor..

11. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

:happy097::happy102::happy097::happy102:
    tp

12. Hembree

[​IMG]

13. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

My hero....
    tp

14. Luca

Luca Member

it's been a bloodbath. 30 minutes trying to find the angles...strech the skin...making absurd faces.... many weepers even if it took a lifetime. Back to amazon and for now back to carts :(

[​IMG]

Edison Carter likes this.
  15. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Shame to see you give up.

If I may, I'd like to suggest an experiment similar to the method I used to learn straights.

Put a brand new blade in the razor and use a downward stroke on your cheeks only for one pass. Then finish with the tool you are accustomed to. Do not advance until you find comfort in this first step.

Be well.

brit, Hembree and Terry like this.
  16. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

:signs011::signs011::signs011::signs011:

Well......
    My daughters boy friend had the almost exact thing happen. He wanted to use his grandfathers old razors, but when he tried, it "didn't turn out very good" so he said. I showed him how to start using one DE and one SE razor. One pass from top to bottom, then stop.
    AND one pass means....
    Go over your skin once with your DE then stop. If you want to go over it again with the cart, do that.

Also read up on "riding the cap".

I would hate for you to quit to soon.
    Although it might not be for you, please remember this happens to most everyone that changes from carts to DE's

You are not unique, this happens to lotsa people and it happened to me.
    The thing I found is you can't shave with a DE razor like you do a cart.

Good luck, and if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask.

good luck either way.
    tp

brit and Edison Carter like this.
  17. Hembree

I wonder if he is applying too much pressure? I have that same razor and it gives a great mild shave. I hope @Luca does not give up on it.

Terry and Edison Carter like this.
  18. Luca

Luca Member

thanks! i want to clarify...i know wet shaving techniques pretty well, i have been applying them for 30+ years to cartridges. I ALWAYS use soaps and brushes (i Hate canned goos wholeheartedly), know my beard mapping quite well (almost all my hair grows top to bottom so unfortunately for me the WTG pass means more or less just moving the soap with EVERY razor except for a small area on my mustache) and perform XTG/ATG passes with every cartridge and routinely get a BBS shave, even with very humble one-blade BICs . Even with a short trial last year with the de89 i had a better shave than today with this f...ing baili 191. It's very strange because the bic disposables are very similar to the DE technique, no pivoting..almost no pressure etc. But with them i get a perfect shave, with the DE it looks like i have been fighting with my cats.

Edison Carter, Hembree and Terry like this.
  19. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

:happy088::happy088:
    Sounds great!
    But the DE blades are much sharper, much, much sharper!
    There is a learning curve, or unlearning curve from the carts...
    Edit....
    I used bic single blade carts for 38 years...
    Still had to unlearn all I knew about shaving with them to DE shave.
    But it was worth it.

tp

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Edison Carter, Hembree and brit like this.
  20. Luca

Luca Member

a yaqi mellon is on its way from aliexpress. Hope this time will be better.

Hembree, Terry and Edison Carter like this.